My Ueber Slow Jeep TJ Build

LetsGoMuddin

Finally got the oil changed today using Eddies write up. My Truck Lites arrived today and I was able to get them installed. Just a note: I used dialectic grease on the connectors. No pictures of them lit or at night yet, but I really like how they look. I'll test them out tonight!
Before:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416868000.437053.jpg
After:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416868018.241100.jpg
I'll take some better pictures soon.

radleyhardy

Love this TJ. Perfect color inside and out! Now get you some of the Evo BoatSide Bombers and GenRight rear crossmember bumper :thumb:

Last edited:

TheStick

Nice TJ! Just a thought. One cool thing about the TJ's IMO is they have a nice steel bumper. Just removing those plastic end caps helps the looks out a ton. Have fun with it!

LetsGoMuddin

Love this TJ. Perfect color inside and out! Now get you some of the Evo BoatSide Bombers and GenRight rear crossmember bumper :thumb:

Thanks, I'm really happy with the colors too! I'm actually going to look into those products, I really like the look of the boatsides!:)

Nice TJ! Just a thought. One cool thing about the TJ's IMO is they have a nice steel bumper. Just removing those plastic end caps helps the looks out a ton. Have fun with it!

Thanks for the tip! I was going to remove the milk jugs on the bumper but I have the wrong size torx driver... :grayno: :D

LetsGoMuddin

I changed the serpentine belt today. It didn't take me too long, probably a half hour or so because it had trouble with the tension idler. The only thing I broke was a lightbulb in my work light so I'm happy that none of the bolts stripped. Here's the old belt:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418242036.945102.jpg
And everything back together:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418242076.372269.jpg
I was going to make some instructions on how to change the belt, but I didn't want to screw anything up. If anyone needs a tip on how to change their serpentine belt let me know, I'll be happy to help!

LetsGoMuddin

Here's some small updates for 2015!
I got some torx wrenches and removed the milk jugs on the front bumper, it looks way better.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420484298.717498.jpg
Also it was a little foggy yesterday so we did some driving with a laser...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420484356.625185.jpg
So I have a question. I have been hearing a short squeel from the transfer case area. Could the chain in the transfer case be stretched? Also when putting the Jeep into 4wd, the lever needs to be in just the right spot or else there will be a grinding noise. Is there something wrong with this?

Last edited:

Chadrobb

Hmmm, I would recommend doing a service on the transfer case. It's super easy and there are a lot of write ups out there. If it's a manual tranny, might as well do that too while you are under there. Hour job and your TC and tranny will be grateful. I doubt the chain is in need of anything, but you never know. TC uses just plain old ATF4 fluid. I run red line in mine, but that is just because I had it leftover from a previous auto. Not saying I wouldn't service an auto trans, that's a different process though.

Now the TC shifter is a different story. I would inspect the linkage thoroughly, sounds like its no good and possibly a broken bushing. I have a Novak shifter cable conversion on my bench for mine. Google Novak and that should solve the issue. Or, pick up parts to fix the factory linkage at rockauto until you can spring for a Novak.

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with your TC. Just a little love and you should be good to go.

Chadrobb

I'll add that in my opinion, a good lift for your TJ would be the Old Man Emu 2". They ride great. Currie springs with Fox IFP shocks are a good setup too. :) You can run 32's easy on that setup and it will look great without getting too tall.

LetsGoMuddin

Hmmm, I would recommend doing a service on the transfer case. It's super easy and there are a lot of write ups out there. If it's a manual tranny, might as well do that too while you are under there. Hour job and your TC and tranny will be grateful. I doubt the chain is in need of anything, but you never know. TC uses just plain old ATF4 fluid. I run red line in mine, but that is just because I had it leftover from a previous auto. Not saying I wouldn't service an auto trans, that's a different process though.

Now the TC shifter is a different story. I would inspect the linkage thoroughly, sounds like its no good and possibly a broken bushing. I have a Novak shifter cable conversion on my bench for mine. Google Novak and that should solve the issue. Or, pick up parts to fix the factory linkage at rockauto until you can spring for a Novak.

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with your TC. Just a little love and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the help Chadrobb, I'm going to look into servicing the TC and manual trans. How hard is it to install the Novak shifter cable? I'm going to check that out too. If I wanted to install an SYE would it be a good time to do it now or after I lift me Jeep?

I'll add that in my opinion, a good lift for your TJ would be the Old Man Emu 2". They ride great. Currie springs with Fox IFP shocks are a good setup too. :) You can run 32's easy on that setup and it will look great without getting too tall.

A two inch lift is exactly what I'm looking for so I'll look into the OME lift and those springs and shocks. I really want to get Metalcloak fenders and 33s before lifting my Jeep. That way I can run bigger tires while I can save up for a lift.

looks much better!

:) Thanks Cozdude!

Chadrobb

The OME kit is complete for the most part. Shocks, spring etc.
The SYE and driveshaft comes after the lift so your shaft length is accurate. Adjustable upper control arms would allow you to set pinion angle though, you could probably hold off on the SYE/shaft project for a while. Will need the upper arms anyway, even with the SYE.

Not sure on the Novak yet, but will post pics when I install it

Yeep

I just got my OME kit for a 98 TJ project I'm putting back together.. I'll put some pics up once I get it installed...

I got the OME kit from northridge... I'm not sure if it's on their site yet or not, but I emailed them and was able to order it no problem (and cheaper than I could find anywhere else too)

LetsGoMuddin

I have a quick noobie question for you guys. I was picking up some fluids for my manual tranny and the guy gave me ATF. I didn't notice it was ATF until I got home. It's ok to use ATF in my manual trans right? Thanks in advance for the help.

LetsGoMuddin

I have a quick noobie question for you guys. I was picking up some fluids for my manual tranny and the guy gave me ATF. I didn't notice it was ATF until I got home. It's ok to use ATF in my manual trans right? Thanks in advance for the help.
Nevermind I got everything sorted out, the ATF is for the T- case not the tranny.
New Question!
I got synthetic oil for the tranny. Is there any difference running synthetic oil instead of regular oil in the tranny?

Top Bottom