Best mud tire

BumpStick

Living in Florida now of the wheeling I do has mostly mud. My Jeep is not my daily driver. In 6 months I have put 2k miles on her so street/highway isn't a concern for me. I do drive to the trails but at most ib see 55-65mph.

Sand isn't something I'm too worried about either. But I do want to start doing more rocks too. There is Hard Rock offroad park near me which is an old rock quarry.

Right now I'm running Irok ND (non directional, racial) 305/70/16. I'm planning on stepping up to something in the 35 range when it's time to replace them.

Right now I'm not sure if I will go to 15" steel (possibly beadlocks), stay at 16s and go with an alloy wheel, or go with 17s.

So from experience what have you found to be the best tire for mud? Also what have you found to be the best bang for your buck in mud tires?

Tigrcky

Super swamper LTB TSL great mud tire and rock tire, it won't disappoint:thumbup:

Sent from my whatchamacallit

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have been really happy with my nitto mud grapplers but i dont have anything to compare them to.

GCM 2

Super swamper LTB TSL great mud tire and rock tire, it won't disappoint:thumbup:

I have ran the TSL SX's on a few vehicles, its a really great offroad tire, but absolutely horrible on the road since they are extremely hard to balance (especially as you get to the bigger sizes). I would have no issue running these again on a dedicated trail rig. The other issue with the TSL SX's are the really odd ball sizes.

htgj2tmm9nnkw_sm.jpg

I know you are not looking specifically for a daily driver tire, but for comparison a much better and equally as aggressive alternative (also much more expensive) is the Nitto Mud Grappler. The Mud Grappler's are just as hardcore of a tire as the Interco TSL SX, but since the Nitto's are made so much better, most guys can run zero balancing weights on them (thats part of the reason why they cost so much more).

Last edited:
Do you ever get off-camber on muddy trails or do you stay in the Florida bogs that are fairly flat?

The reason I ask is some tires are great at moving through mud straight, but have very little lateral stability when they get off-camber in the slime.

Last edited:

BumpStick

This is pretty much a dedicated trail rig. My daily transportation is my Harley and when I need a cage I drive my girl's Ram 4x4 (she is retired).

I actually like the loud tire noise when on the asphalt. My Irok ND are too quite.

I do like getting into of camber situations. So I'm staying away from Boggers.

As for odd ball sizes I don't have a problem with that.

I do like getting into of camber situations. So I'm staying away from Boggers.

Okay so with that said, I would personally avoid the Nitto Mud Grapplers and TSL Swamper Boggers. Both navigate through mud extremely well straight, but offer very little lateral stability to keep you stuck to the side of an off-camber slimy hill. (My experience here is not from personally running them but seeing and recovering those who have.)

The other TSL Swamper tires mentioned here are much better in off-camber mud, but will sink in deep sand if you use too much throttle. (Again, I haven't run them but saw this happen at Silver Lake dunes. Everyone else was fine and it looked like they were in quicksand!)

Now, with all this said, I'm not sure what to recommend... I run the GY MTRs but I don't think this is what you are looking for... Maybe BFG KM2 or Krawlers???

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Ive ran a few different mud tires ranging from 31s-37s. I . Personally recomend nitto mud grapplers over the ones ive ran. Great humm on the road and extremely good offroad in mud and rocks.

13 JKU sport

David1tontj

Okay so with that said, I would personally avoid the Nitto Mud Grapplers and TSL Swamper Boggers. Both navigate through mud extremely well straight, but offer very little lateral stability to keep you stuck to the side of an off-camber slimy hill. (My experience here is not from personally running them but seeing and recovering those who have.)

The other TSL Swamper tires mentioned here are much better in off-camber mud, but will sink in deep sand if you use too much throttle. (Again, I haven't run them but saw this happen at Silver Lake dunes. Everyone else was fine and it looked like they were in quicksand!)

Not a fair comparison.. As far as the off camber trails- you can't lump nittos into the "bad off camber" group because of someone you saw slide of a trail. Mostly driver and/or air pressure has more to do with that.

For example- my swamper's are pretty much unstoppable in the sand. It's all about air pressure.

This dune was rejecting several jeeps who were in 4 wheel drive. I had such great flotation that I was launching off the top and catching air.. In 2 wheel drive! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415115522.970618.jpg . So just because some guy runs 15psi in the sand and sinks- doesn't mean swampers suck in sand. Just means he should've been at 4-6psi for a tire with such a stiff sidewall.

Not a fair comparison.. As far as the off camber trails- you can't lump nittos into the "bad off camber" group because of someone you saw slide of a trail. Mostly driver and/or air pressure has more to do with that.

It was more like a dozen people (different rigs and air pressures)... Mud Grapplers suck for slimy off-camber situations. (At least here in the Ohio River Valley.)

David1tontj

It was more like a dozen people (different rigs and air pressures)... Mud Grapplers suck for slimy off-camber situations. (At least here in the Ohio River Valley.)

Fair enough.
I haven't personally run the nittos.

The main ones I've run on designated 4x4s being pro comp MUDs, tsl sx, boggers, and iroks. So all I can say is that the swampers are commonly run at too high of an air pressure.

Fair enough.
I haven't personally run the nittos.

The main ones I've run on designated 4x4s being pro comp MUDs, tsl sx, boggers, and iroks. So all I can say is that the swampers are commonly run at too high of an air pressure.

I do think air pressure has a lot do do with it. I know a lot of guys here say the Nittos rock, but that's not what I have observed around here.

I didn't reply to your point about the TSLs in sand as I really don't have enough experience to comment (shouldn't have to begin with).

:thumb::beer:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have no issues with my nittos in off camber situations but then again it prob comes down to air pressure as mentioned. i still run a higher psi then i should with my beadlocks. also with running 35's and 17's im sure the limited amount of sidewall flex compared to someone running 37's and 17's helps me. i do need to lower my psi tho :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I do think air pressure has a lot do do with it. I know a lot of guys here say the Nittos rock, but that's not what I have observed around here.

I didn't reply to your point about the TSLs in sand as I really don't have enough experience to comment (shouldn't have to begin with).

:thumb::beer:

I disagree with you and Nitto's not being good back there. I will guarantee they are better then the MT/R's that you run.

You experience has way too many variables to be a good test. But to each there own.

i have no issues with my nittos in off camber situations but then again it prob comes down to air pressure as mentioned. i still run a higher psi then i should with my beadlocks. also with running 35's and 17's im sure the limited amount of sidewall flex compared to someone running 37's and 17's helps me. i do need to lower my psi tho :crazyeyes:

I know they perform well for you, but the mud in PA is vastly different than the mud in the OH river valley. I think there are many places they shine, but here close to my home is not one of them.

I disagree with you and Nitto's not being good back there. I will guarantee they are better then the MT/R's that you run.

You experience has way too many variables to be a good test. But to each there own.

To be honest, very few tires work well, but yes, I am able to stick to an off camber hill better than the the guys with the Mud Grapplers. Actually, many AT tires do better.

I'm not saying they are a bad tire... I'm just saying that they don't work well in my homeland. (I have no idea if this applies to the OP or not as I don't know what Florida mud is like.)

Last edited:

BumpStick

The tires that I'm running are the non directional Irok radial. Since the only street driving I do is to and from the trail i was thinking of going to bias ply tires because of the price. But I was thinking of the Nitto Mud grapplers.

The swamper ltb is only available in bias correct?

Tigrcky

The tires that I'm running are the non directional Irok radial. Since the only street driving I do is to and from the trail i was thinking of going to bias ply tires because of the price. But I was thinking of the Nitto Mud grapplers.

The swamper ltb is only available in bias correct?

You can get it in a radial

Sent from my whatchamacallit

Top Bottom