Cupped Tire Dilema

BadAndy

I have been doing a 4 tire rotation (my bad....should have done all 5) for 26,000 mile and now one of my tires is cupped. Can I use my spare with it still being new? should I get one new tire and junk the cupped one and run the new and spare on the same axle?

I have been doing a 4 tire rotation (my bad....should have done all 5) for 26,000 mile and now one of my tires is cupped. Can I use my spare with it still being new? should I get one new tire and junk the cupped one and run the new and spare on the same axle?

Couple of questions.

What brand of tire?

I have NITTO Trail Grapplers. Before the TG's I had Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's and they were cupping bad. Dropped the PSI down to 28 all the way around and they smoothed out.

What tire pressure are you running?

I run 29 PSI in the front tires and 28 PSI in the rear tires.

Have you done a chalk test?

Use side walk chalk and put across the width of the tire. Drive in a straight line for about 300 feet and check the wear. reduce the PSI some and repeat. Continue unitl the chalk is off the tire.

R/
Will

BadAndy

I have Nitto TG and I have them set at 28psi. The tire got real noticeable when it was on driver front. Which had me worried about alignment or balljoints but everything checks out. I didnt do the chalk test but at 28 psi the wear is even on the other 3.

BadAndy

Why did it cup .. Not balanced, bad shock ?
They were all good originally but who knows to be honest. The answers I have been getting from local shops are BS. They have told me that is the nature of these big mud tires to cup and there is nothing you can do.

Looking forward can I put what is a new tire in rotation with the rest or is that going to mess with the diffs/traction control?

jeeeep

Hooked
I have Nitto TG and I have them set at 28psi. The tire got real noticeable when it was on driver front. Which had me worried about alignment or balljoints but everything checks out. I didnt do the chalk test but at 28 psi the wear is even on the other 3.

As mentioned, do the chalk test, low pressure can cause cupping, also check for a bad shock, hub unit, bad sway bars, loose or worn control arm - where is the cupping? center or the edge?

if it's that bad, you may want to get a new tire to match your spare, but then your still stuck with a 4 tire front to rear rotation.

Top Bottom