Converting a TJ to an LJ

KingCopperhead

This is down the road since I'm focused on my JK at the moment.

But I've got a 97 TJ, (4.0,ax15 Trans. Np231 t case) the frame is rotted to the point where I don't feel comfortable driving it on or off road. It has the dpg off road ultimate lift. (2.5" old man emu coils and shocks, 1.75" body lift. Brown dog mml, jks front tracbar.) dana 30 front Dana 35 rear.

My question is this, if I decided to buy a donor frame from an LJ, (and a tub) what else would I need to make it work. I'd likely go for some adjustable control arms or a long arm kit for it while the frame is off. I'm also considering transferring my jk axles (I know I'll need new brackets) to it once they're replaced. (my dana 30 comes off next week, will be a while before the rear gets replaced.)

Is this feasible? Or should I just keep an eye out for a clean TJ frame and keep it simple.

I have a long, long time before this project even gets started. I've had the jeep for 16 years so I'm not getting rid of it lol. Just want to start planning.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you are replacing the tub and frame from an LJ why not sell your jeep and buy an LJ? I understand you've had yours for a while but if you are swapping in a new frame and tub then that would hardly be the jeep you've had for 16 years.

If you are replacing the tub and frame from an LJ why not sell your jeep and buy an LJ? I understand you've had yours for a while but if you are swapping in a new frame and tub then that would hardly be the jeep you've had for 16 years.

I agree it would be different if you were going to stretch the frame and tub.

JKWrang

And then replacing your axles too? The only OE thing youd have left is the seats lol.

Sounds way more complicated than its worth

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

For a while I actually considered stretching my Tj and adding a couple of cj5 doors as rear doors. Kinda a poor mans four door. I might still do it some day, but It sure seemed like a lot of work.

KingCopperhead

Really good points on this thread. Sometimes my sentimentality gets in the way of sensibility. I think I'll just do a frame swap on it, patch up the tub (it's not that bad) and call it a day.

kgw350

Safe T Caps sells really nice kits to fix the frame. I have a buddy that uses them he says they are great and save a lot of time. He has Guys coming from all over to have the frames repaired. If its something you would be interested in I can put you in contact with him for an estimate.

p-1258-131-S.jpg p-1231-124s-f1.png

Top Bottom