Need help choosing tire size / load range

chipper

So here's where I'm at. I've decided to go with a 35" tire. Deciding between Nitto trail grappler and Toyo MT. Like them both. Seems like Nitto is a little cheaper. But the rating D/E is what I don't know what will be better.
As far as Nitto I'm confused on what size to get.
315/70r17 -- tread depth 20.0 , inflated dia 34.61 width 13.27 , rated D

35"x 12.50R17 -- tread depth 21.0 , inflated dia 34.84 width 13.19 rated E

Toyo MT
35x 12.50R17 -- tread depth 21.0 inflated dia 34.8 width 13.2 rated E

I just don't know what to get. They all seem to be about the same size. But the load rating is different on the 2 nittos. What's your experience with the load range? Is E to stiff or harsh?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Generally speaking, E rated tires are tougher, but at the expense of riding rougher (and usually a bit heavier.) I had 33" duratracs on my last rig ( think they were C or D rated) and my new rig has 35" duratracs that are E rated. I think they ride very well, but that doesn't mean all E rated tires ride well. IMHO, if you are getting an MT, that means you put toughness before comfort (while someone like myself, that lives in NJ does the opposite) so I would go with the tougher tire.

Speeddmn

Yes E rated tires will have a stiffer sidewall, the D rated tire is a tad shorter since its a LT tire and will be a softer at the same tire psi. Of the three there you are looking at, they will all get the job done, so choose the one better off in your budget.

chipper

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully the back orders on these will be over next month when in ready to buy.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
From what I have seen/read on the WWW both of those tires are supposed to be very good. I am personally going to get a set of the Nittos when I can because I think they look better in my own opinion. I am going to go with an E load range because I am in pastures and in the woods with my jeep when I go hunting and fishing. I also run a lot of dirt/gravel roads in rural Oklahoma and the E rated tires just last longer. I have already ruined a factory tire on my Rubicon just because of a nail I picked up on a dirt road that was freshly graded and I have less than 3500 miles on them. I'm trying to get a lift and 35s ASAP!

chipper

From what I have seen/read on the WWW both of those tires are supposed to be very good. I am personally going to get a set of the Nittos when I can because I think they look better in my own opinion. I am going to go with an E load range because I am in pastures and in the woods with my jeep when I go hunting and fishing. I also run a lot of dirt/gravel roads in rural Oklahoma and the E rated tires just last longer. I have already ruined a factory tire on my Rubicon just because of a nail I picked up on a dirt road that was freshly graded and I have less than 3500 miles on them. I'm trying to get a lift and 35s ASAP!

That's what I'm gonna with (E) in 35"'s
Here in Fl we have lots of trails where the stronger sidewalks would be better. Thanks for having me look at it in a different way. I was only looking at comfort first. But at $300+ a tire. Stronger is better. As far as Nitto or Toyo. I'll get what ever is in stock at the time.

DMF

Coming from a full size truck background this is what I learn between D and E rated tires. E is more for towing. Yes they are tougher and can have higher PSI but because of the stiffness it may not work well when off roading compare to a D rated tire.

JKWrang

Correct me of im wrong but wouldnt a D rated tire offer a little more flex in the sidewall?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

computeruser6

All of the tires listed will be pretty stiff. I ran LT255/75R-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers (load range C) after the stock KM's failed me and they were also very stiff. I would say the most important difference is the tread, the Nitto's have a softer compound.

Top Bottom