RAM 700 Likey in the U.S. - Possible Platform for a Jeep Truck?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The more I read about the RAM 700 and the possibility that of it making it state side, the more I have a hard time not imagining it also being the platform for a new Jeep Truck. What do you think, would you still buy a Jeep truck if this is what it was based off of?

Ram 700 by Fiat may be the small truck we've been waiting for
By Chris Bruce

2015-ram-700-004-1.jpg

It seems like auto buyers throughout the whole world outside of the United States and Canada have a plethora of small pickups to choose from to fit their needs. In fact, there's one just south of the border that might be perfect for many American consumers – the 2015 Ram 700.

The little, front-wheel-drive pickup is a badge-engineered version of the Fiat Strada, which is also sold in Mexico. The powertrain is limited to a 1.6-litre four-cylinder making 115 horsepower and 119 pound-feet of torque with a five-speed manual gearbox. However, buyers can choose between either a two-door, two-passenger body or a three-door, four-person version (pictured above and right) that's also available with a locking front differential. While the 700 isn't big, the two-door version still offers a cargo capacity of up to 1,554 pounds (705 kilograms), and opting for the three-door still allows for 1,433 pounds (650 kilograms) of goods.

Prices for these little trucks aren't bad either. The two-door is priced at 182,900 Mexican pesos ($15,340 at current rates), while 241,900 pesos ($20,300) gets customers the three-door.

Read the whole article here:
http://ca.autoblog.com/2014/11/09/ram-700-fiat-small-truck-mexico/

More photos of the RAM 700

2015-ram-700-001-1.jpg

2015-ram-700-002-1.jpg

2015-ram-700-003-1.jpg

2015-ram-700-005-1.jpg

2015-ram-700-006-1.jpg

2015-ram-700-007-1.jpg

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
Nope don't like it. Looks like cross between a Subaru Brat an
A VW pickup that was based off the rabbit, in the 1980's.

Sent from my QMV7B using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

I wonder why they never made a 4 cylinder dakota... that would have been a great small pickup platform to continue

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I will never buy another pickup with a 4 cylinder. If it has a V6 and isn't as hideous then I would consider.

GuillaumeC91

Oh... Wow that's bad. I would love to see a Jeep Truck come to life but I hope they make it into a real mid-sized truck at least. Not a rounded out cross over with a box in the back...

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

bnatt78

The only thing that I remember is that I was curious about the Fiat and stop by a dealer one day and asked about the and if I remember right? I think they told me the transmission is from Chrysler and engine is from Italy. That is if I remember the facts right? So, after hearing that I might go look at one to see what it is all about.

KingCopperhead

It's sharp looking, but I'd rather see a jeep truck with a real frame, solid axles... Like the j8 conversion as a production vehicle.

Mad Mac

Grand-dad had a weakness for oddball vehicles. One of them was an El Camino. Of it he said, "It's the worst of both worlds. Not a good car and not a good truck."

The Chevy El Camino, Ford Ranchero, Subaru Brat and Baja were all unit-body pickups, all no longer manufactured. Honda's Ridgeline is to be discontinued for two years. For Jeep, the 700 would be a step backwards while the JKU platform is a natural for a separate cab and bed.

The Dodge 700 is cute and may sell well, but not to Jeep enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Recall that when Toyota introduced the Tundra to compete with large American trucks and it had a V-6. It bombed. Then came the 4.7L V-8. Sales got better, but not great. Today it's full sized and packing a stout 5.7L V-8. Sales are much better. We Americans want our pickups to be big and powerful and workhorses. Mid-size is about as small as most Americans want to go with their trucks. It doesn't look like this platform can be Super-Samuraied very easily for the trail either. I dunno?:thinking:

BlackRockBurner

I think the possible future Jeep truck will be built on the next Wrangler platform. But a small Dodge pickup is needed to compete with Colorado. This would look nice. Use a turbo oil burner for torque over horsepower. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416539728.767083.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of looks like it might have some clean entry and departure angles, but that huge rear end will have to go. NOT that I would consider one, but think there are enough suckers out there, that would. The pic of the "700" Dodge is interesting, but I would only want a two door, as with the small size, and lack of full length bed, it would not haul enough for me or my horses. Might be fun for the commute though.
Personally, I don't sell the old school "Sami" short. I have seen some that could wheel with the best. Even tho many had Toyota axles, and "R" series toyota engines.:crazyeyes:

Personally, I think bringing a vehicle like this (under any badge) to the US market is an epic fail. There have been several car/truck types come and go, only really having found a home amongst the ones that drive it for the sole purpose of being different.

Top Bottom