From the Experts - What Approach They Would Take for a Jeep Truck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In lieu of all the new RAM 700 talk, I found it interesting that AllPar would ask Robert Sheaves what he would do to make a Jeep Truck and what his answer was. Read and see for yourself below.

2018 Jeep Wrangler, Part 4: The Scrambler (pickup) and J8
by Robert W. Sheaves (edited). Part 4 of a series. Written in mid-October 2014.

Allpar’s owner, David Zatz, asked what approach I would take to design a Jeep for the 2017 model year, following Sergio Marchionne’s dictates, and what Chrysler is likely to do.

scrambler.jpg

The Scrambler pickup
To maintain production rates and avoid a more serious factory refit, I do not expect any four door pickup, strictly a two door version with some extra space behind the front seats, like a Dakota or MJ Comanche — and not a full “Club Cab,” either. You would probably have about 6-7 inches to allow for a rear crash clearance (to avoid having your head hit the rear glass in a crash).

To clarify, to keep the carriers the same distance apart as when they are holding standard Wranglers, I do not expect the length change which is needed for a four door pickup. This is one of the compromises customers and consumers will have to live with; without an increase in the spacing, there is no room to build a longer vehicle. With an increase, one would have to cut production and/or invest large sums into the plant which would not be justified by expected sales.

The limits on the size due to line spacing will keep the pickup’s sales limited, and incidentally prevent it from competing with Ram 1500.

I could see the pickup in two versions....a standard pickup with light duty set of semi-floating front hubs and a “heavy duty” option (not a separate model) using the full-float setup from the J8, taking advantage of the independent front suspension to only require a wheel end swap on the line in the front.

I expect pickup production to be around 40,000 — 7,000 knockdown kits (CKDs) for foreign final assembly, and 33,000 complete vehicles. The CKD figures into African sales, through AAV in Egypt

There would need to be a change in frame width. To mount a different bed, regardless of type, you need to have the rear frame rails spaced at 34" across the top flange. This will require a pair of adapter rails that bolt to the top of the existing frame rails similar to the older Dodge D and W chassis-and-cab trucks. It is more involved than just pulling off the box or just not installing a box in the rear, because of using the full body's frame assembly under all of them (this also means a change to the J8 export military truck to this new design).

In other words, your pickup will be about the size of a Ford Ranger in length, but a little wider — with the passenger room of today's two-door Wrangler, and narrower mirrors and fender flares, and built with a separate bed. The bed would probably not be unitized to the main body for structural reasons.

On the issue of the Jeep J8, with its unique Hotchkiss rear suspension and semi floating Dana 60, I would expect to see the axle changed to a light-duty 60, with the hubs changing back to the older full floating style and a higher rated GVWR link coil package to meet NATO needs. I do not see a version for the US military.

Just like the first and second generation Dakota, you would have around a 1,000 lb payload and up to a 6,000 lb tow rating with a Pentastar V6 (this doesn’t mean a diesel would be precluded).

Read the whole article here:
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/future/pickup.html

GCM 2

Yep, I think AEV has already gotten it right with the Brute versions, both TJ and JK. Or if jeep wants to do us all a favor, build the already known to be a retro winner......

IMG_0379.jpg

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
While I definitely like it and appreciate the option of a PU, outside of military and foreign exports, I just don't know how much of a market there is for single cab pickups anymore even if it it does have seven slots.

GCM 2

Good call! I wish someone made a conversion clip for the front of the jk.

This would really shine with a tire mounted on the side and a separate bed like the Nukizer..

www.toasterjeep.com

I don't know if you had a chance to see the JK12 up close, but it was definitely a "one-off" build. Every bit of it was serious thick gauge sheet metal. The whole front grill was exactly like they did them on the old J series pick ups, real steel parts that were actually stamped out. I don't think there was any plastic on the this truck.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
While I definitely like it and appreciate the option of a PU, outside of military and foreign exports, I just don't know how much of a market there is for single cab pickups anymore even if it it does have seven slots.

Your observation may be very accurate. Both versions float my boat, but I do prefer the J-12, and a smaller version might make sufficient sales to keep it in production for awhile. It's just that cool.:yup:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I don't know if you had a chance to see the JK12 up close, but it was definitely a "one-off" build. Every bit of it was serious thick gauge sheet metal. The whole front grill was exactly like they did them on the old J series pick ups, real steel parts that were actually stamped out. I don't think there was any plastic on the this truck.

I did, I guess I didn't look at the grill enough to see it was steel. I loved the plaid interior, it is one of my favorite low key builds by mopar.

www.toasterjeep.com

JKbrick

Good call! I wish someone made a conversion clip for the front of the jk.

This would really shine with a tire mounted on the side and a separate bed like the Nukizer..

www.toasterjeep.com

I agree with the separate bed and not a unit body like the Comanche either. This front or the Nukizer gets my vote. By the way what is toaster jeep?

Top Bottom