SNOW NO GO!! Woe, woe is me

bkac

Caught the Bug
To add to the above statement I've also found over the years when going down a steep hill slowly in the snow/ice a few clicks up on the e-brake really make a difference to keep you from sliding and staying in control.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for the replies!

I've never taken tires down to 10lbs or less, I might try that. I generally run at around 34lbs.

Most logging roads have snow that is already compacted to ice because someone has already driven over it, and what you have are solid ruts.

For winter I don't care what the wheels look like, but I really don't want to sink another grand in to wheels and tires and have to try and store these in the garage.

Some folks suggest different chains, some have even tried manila rope. I'll try anything as long as it works.

I have a small portable compressor so I'll air down to 10 and see what happens.

Those V-BAR chains have awesome grip, they're just such a PITA.

I wouldn't recommend dropping them so low right off...drop them about 5lbs then check your traction. depending on the wheels you have, dropping too low and you risk breaking a bead loose and end up creating a whole list of new expletives..

check your tread pattern, if you can find an area where the snow is not so deep it makes for a great tread pattern check surface - it should be flat and even from the outside lug to the inside lug.

try to find a good balance, I'm guessing 28-30 will make a difference in your traction.

David1tontj

I wouldn't recommend dropping them so low right off...drop them about 5lbs then check your traction. depending on the wheels you have, dropping too low and you risk breaking a bead loose and end up creating a whole list of new expletives..

check your tread pattern, if you can find an area where the snow is not so deep it makes for a great tread pattern check surface - it should be flat and even from the outside lug to the inside lug.

try to find a good balance, I'm guessing 28-30 will make a difference in your traction.

Yeah- 5 pounds will make a difference, but not much. You might just make it another 10 feet further.
Your footprint gets wider, but it also gets longer with less pressure.

This entire statement remind me of a guy I pulled out of the sand a while back. (Sand is very similar when it comes to airing down)

He had buried his fullsize chevy pickup with Toyo mts while trying to pull out a four seater utv. I asked him if he was aired down, he responded "yeah, it's at 25psi".....
Ummmmm. Ok.....
I was at 4 or 5 psi and driving around in 2wd. Hooked up to both of the stuck rigs and pulled them right out without hardly even bumping the strap. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416208429.204587.jpg

I'm not saying you have to go to 5, every rig is different given different weights and different tires, but you need to get a good bulge in the sidewall. I would drop to at least 15-18 before even considering your rig "aired down"

Avoiding hard turns at speed will help prevent breaking a bead. But if you're that worried about it, make sure to carry a can of starting fluid to reseat your bead if it blows.

stangbuster

Running 20-25 psi(cold) all the time during the snowy season isn't an issue if you keep them rotated.

In your OP, I believe you made mention of skinnier tires. That is totally on track with properly equipped snow and mud driving.

Top Bottom