Ahhhh! Help!!! Can't pick a TIRE!!

ClarksAdventures

I bought my 2014 JKR in June. I knew from the moment I got it once the fires wore out I would upgrade to 35's. Only one problem.

Every time a do research and review a tire, they all seem equally as good.
Please please help! It seems Bfg, Nitto, And many others make a great tire. How to choose???

Here's what I want.

1st, something very very trail capable.(I mean come on, I have a jeep, I'm going to use it for what it was built for!)

2nd, something with decent all around performance. I live in a 4 season area.

3rd, a good wearing tire. My budget doesn't include a 4 figure line item for tires every few months.

4th, least of all would be road noise. During the summer I run without a top or doors. Would prefer to run without ear ifs too if I can avoid it.

5th, price. I don't mind paying for quality. I was taught when I was young. Doing it right the first time is cheaper than doing it right the second, third, or fourth time.

I would strongly suggest the Nitto trail Grappler. I have them and love them. Great off road and excellent road manners and to make the deal even sweeter is the lack of road noise. With the big lugs you would think they would be loud but they are very quite even quieter than the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's I previously had. I run 28 psi in my tires for a JKU.

ClarksAdventures

I would strongly suggest the Nitto trail Grappler. I have them and love them. Great off road and excellent road manners and to make the deal even sweeter is the lack of road noise. With the big lugs you would think they would be loud but they are very quite even quieter than the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's I previously had. I run 28 psi in my tires for a JKU.

Thanks Canvas. I've been looking at a lot of the Nitto tires seeing as how they are a sponsor. They seems like great tires, at great prices. I have the TPMS system that tells me the psu on my dash. It usually starts giving me warnings when I air down that low. How would I cancel that warning?

GCM 2

Take a really close look at the Nitto Terra Grappler (their new version out this year) and the Nitto Exo Grappler. Do not let their slightly less aggressive look fool you. I honestly would run either one if they produced a 40" size in either.

ClarksAdventures

Take a really close look at the Nitto Terra Grappler (their new version out this year) and the Nitto Exo Grappler. Do not let their slightly less aggressive look fool you. I honestly would run either one if they produced a 40" size in either.

So Nitto is the dan favorite huh? Of course I like the aggressive look. But I want something mean for the trail, then the elements(snow and rain), and also the pavement.

GCM 2

So Nitto is the dan favorite huh? Of course I like the aggressive look. But I want something mean for the trail, then the elements(snow and rain), and also the pavement.

You probably want to lean more towards the Trail Grappler then. I have yet to hear of a single complaint by anyone who has owned these. Yes, Nitto is a favorite here, not only with me, but on the forum in general and it's because they really do make great tires. I have ran Nittos on trail only rigs and my trucks that towed my race cars. I will not be changing from Nitto offroad tires unless, in my opinion, someone makes a better tire

Last edited:

Hobolobo

Also check out the new toyo open country r/t. There is a tread dedicated to it if you search. And nitto and toyo are the same company, so it will be an equally high quality tire.

Tree Frog

As far as airing down with TPMS you can get the AEV Pro Cal and it will let you select many settings, even off.
You will want one (or some kind of a programmer) to set your new tire size into your computer.
The Pro Cal also can be used to turn on Day Time Running Lights (DRL's) in several configurations. I love the fog light option coupled with LED bulbs.

Bacon

If you do more snow than rock and a lot of hwy, have a look at the Goodyear Duratrac. Great all around tire. It's a hybrid at/mt.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you do more snow than rock and a lot of hwy, have a look at the Goodyear Duratrac. Great all around tire. It's a hybrid at/mt.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using WAYALIFE mobile app

There is always one in the group. ;)

I have seen the Duratrac's in action on a buddy's TJ and they seem to do really well. Honestly it was a toss up between the Trail Grappler and the Duratrac's but went with the Trail Grappler after seeing Mel and EVO 1 race and the JKX videos.

R/
Will

ClarksAdventures

Awesome! Thanks.

I've never ran this large of tires before. What's a realistic number of miles I could expect out of a set of nittos with mixed use. 20-30k?

jfallon1

There's actually two. Haha, I've been running the duratracs for close to 20,000 miles now and they are wearing great. I worked for a company that used them on f150's and were getting 60,000 miles out of them.

As far as the offroad, never been stuck in mud. It's nothing but mud here in south MS and they hook up impressively.

I've only had the chance to try them out once on the rocks but after hours of riding, there wasn't an obstacle I couldn't get up (within my 2.5lift/35 tire limit). No tears or problems from them afterwards.

The weight of the tire is what sold me, at roughly 65lbs each, it's one of the lightest most aggressive AT I've seen.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

MrHooah04

I have seen the Duratrac's in action on a buddy's TJ and they seem to do really well. Honestly it was a toss up between the Trail Grappler and the Duratrac's but went with the Trail Grappler after seeing Mel and EVO 1 race and the JKX videos.

R/
Will

Definitely an AT would be in your favor, due to your location. It's definitely a toss up between those two as he mentioned, I personally plan on switching from a MT to the Duratracs come this spring.

Top Bottom