Help choosing a tire

Jk909

I have a 2014 2dr sport with a 3" lift. I don't want to get new rims or use spacers. I know nitto has a 285/75r17 which is basically a 34"X11.5. Do you guys think that will look good? I'm also open to other ideas. Thanks!

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416296006.926701.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416296029.229109.jpg
These are 285/75/16 Kenda M/T factory wheels and no spacers. I am running 2.5" front and 2" rear budget boost. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416296315.605915.jpg
They fit pretty good

OlllllllO Jk
🇺🇸 🇺🇸

BlackHawk08jk

I would run the nitto trail grappler. I personally am running the mud grappler. I like them a lot but the trail grappler is a hell of a lot quieter than the mud, and last longer on the street. The toyo mt is a great tire as well. Just as good or better than the trail grappler, but more expensive. I've ran all three. Off-road I like them all about equally, but on road for over all quality ( road noise, handling in all weather types, and wear) I would say in order I like the toyo mt's the the trail grappler, then the mud grappler. But that's just me.

My BFG's have lasted 44k so far and I still have 1/4" (4/16's) left. I think I could go another 10k on them. I like the looks of the Kenda Klever MT but can't find any reviews. The tread looks similar to my BFG's.

BlackHawk08jk

You could get that kind of mileage out of a toyo, but not out of a mud grappler. And I really can't tell you anything about that tire.

Peak

I'm running BFG 37's, they run small. Not a true 37, slightly bigger than a mounted 35. The BFGs are the best for street use, they have the longest lasting tread life from what I've read. I do plan on selling them in a few months when I upgrade to trail grapplers.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have a 2014 2dr sport with a 3" lift. I don't want to get new rims or use spacers. I know nitto has a 285/75r17 which is basically a 34"X11.5. Do you guys think that will look good? I'm also open to other ideas. Thanks!

Here was the 2 door I had a few years ago with 285/70R17s and a leveling kit. I've seen more than a few people run a 285/75 on stock wheels with a small lift.

IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg

Some things, in my opinion, to consider would be if you are looking for an advertised 3" lift, be prepared to get way more 'actual' lift out of it. Especially on a 2 door, you will need to look at replacing drive shafts at a minimum if you go over 3" of actual lift. I am running a 2" JKS lift on my 4 door and got 3" of actual lift once the suspension settled. I would also ensure you extend your bump stops if they do not come with the lift you get. Lastly, If it were me, I would go with a good 'name brand' tire over something like the Kenda. They are affordable I am sure, but tires are one of those areas you really do get what you pay for. BFG's, Nitto's, Toyo's, etc are proven both in their performance and customer service. Although I have no experience with Kenda's Automobile tires specifically, there are a lot of issues with balancing, tire wear, sidewall construction, etc to consider when buying a tire that will see off road abuse. Just my 2 cents, I would save up and get something with a proven track record. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide.

Jk909

Here was the 2 door I had a few years ago with 285/70R17s and a leveling kit. I've seen more than a few people run a 285/75 on stock wheels with a small lift.

View attachment 152920
View attachment 152921
View attachment 152922

Some things, in my opinion, to consider would be if you are looking for an advertised 3" lift, be prepared to get way more 'actual' lift out of it. Especially on a 2 door, you will need to look at replacing drive shafts at a minimum if you go over 3" of actual lift. I am running a 2" JKS lift on my 4 door and got 3" of actual lift once the suspension settled. I would also ensure you extend your bump stops if they do not come with the lift you get. Lastly, If it were me, I would go with a good 'name brand' tire over something like the Kenda. They are affordable I am sure, but tires are one of those areas you really do get what you pay for. BFG's, Nitto's, Toyo's, etc are proven both in their performance and customer service. Although I have no experience with Kenda's Automobile tires specifically, there are a lot of issues with balancing, tire wear, sidewall construction, etc to consider when buying a tire that will see off road abuse. Just my 2 cents, I would save up and get something with a proven track record. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide.
I appreciate your response but I posted this question 9 months ago lol. Nice jeep btw

Jk909

Whoops! I guess I should pay more attention! Lol! What did you decide to go with?

I ended up getting some nitto terra grappler g2's. To be honest while they are a nice set I am rather disappointed. I still had minor rubbing so I finally ordered wheel spacers. I just wish I had purchased a true 35x12.5. I was just trying to avoid spacers and a regear but I've done both of those now

Top Bottom