4-Link Calculator

Morning All,

I am trying to help a buddy with a stretched LJ build. He is planning to go with a double triangulated 4-link. (rear half of the frame is already off) Anyone have a link or info on some 4-link calculation software?

I used to have an old DOS based package when I was into drag racing but can't get it to run in Win7 or my XP VMs.

What VM software are you using? You should be able to setup a DOS VM.

I use VMware Workstation. For some reason is is looking for a serial port at install ??? My PC doesn't have one. I can install one to connect to, but kinda hoped there was something from this century available. Plus... at some point I wanted to turn this over to my buddy, and he doesn't have VMware (or any VM) and runs Win8.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I use VMware Workstation. For some reason is is looking for a serial port at install ??? My PC doesn't have one. I can install one to connect to, but kinda hoped there was something from this century available. Plus... at some point I wanted to turn this over to my buddy, and he doesn't have VMware (or any VM) and runs Win8.

VMware is the worst! we use it at work all the time. we used the old version for a very ling time but upgraded to the newer version as of recent. not much better i must say lol sorry i just wanted to complain about it lol

VMware is the worst! we use it at work all the time. we used the old version for a very ling time but upgraded to the newer version as of recent. not much better i must say lol sorry i just wanted to complain about it lol

VMware is the only VM that connects to my ports consistently in all the software I use. It is also the only one that likes Profibus and Profinet commissioning. (Factory Automation stuff)

I tried others but they all had issues!

Let me ask instead about the points I am concerned with... Maybe someone can chime in.

I know moving the lower arm's center mounts outboard will make for less flex, but more stability. The problem is I don't have a good gut feel for how much stability is increased for any given measurement. (I know this isn't a question, but I'm not sure how to make it one.) Thoughts?

Also, On my old drag car I had adjustable mounts to change my squat.... Most rock crawlers don't have this. Is this just not a big deal or is there a good rule of thumb to shoot for? I'm thinking a setup that puts weight on the nose wouldn't be bad. :idontknow: Again, Thoughts?

jeeeep

Hooked
Let me ask instead about the points I am concerned with... Maybe someone can chime in.

I know moving the lower arm's center mounts outboard will make for less flex, but more stability. The problem is I don't have a good gut feel for how much stability is increased for any given measurement. (I know this isn't a question, but I'm not sure how to make it one.) Thoughts?

Also, On my old drag car I had adjustable mounts to change my squat.... Most rock crawlers don't have this. Is this just not a big deal or is there a good rule of thumb to shoot for? I'm thinking a setup that puts weight on the nose wouldn't be bad. :idontknow: Again, Thoughts?

I saved this link as I had a fleeting thought about doing this to an older jeep I had---it was more than I had energy for but it may help you out:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/131-0307-four-link-suspension-part-2/

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Lol. VMware is not the worst - if you have any trouble let me know, I work there. If you need a serial port there might be some workarounds.

Lol. VMware is not the worst - if you have any trouble let me know, I work there. If you need a serial port there might be some workarounds.

Thanks,

I ended up finding (with some help) an excel calculator. I am glad I did because my first go had my anti-squat jacked.

I'm still struggling with the equal length arms or upper shorter set-up.... and how far I want to triangulate the lowers. Time will tell. This is a fun project. The good news is I get to practice on someone else's rig. :) Next year I plan to stretch my wife's 2-door.

Top Bottom