Jk rear bumper

Burk24

Was wanting to put a new rear bumper and tire carrier on our 2009 JK unlimited
Wanting to know your thoughts on Smittybuilt XRC bumpers?
Thanks, Bob

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All I can say is that you get what you pay for and Smittybilt isn't the same company that they used to be before 4WheelParts bought them out. Having said that, if I had to, I would rather run something like that then say a TeraFlex tire carrier or the like.

MarkW13

I've had pretty good luck with smittybilt, but I don't recommend their tire carriers. They move a lot. I had to strap the carrier to the roll bar on my yj to keep it secure when on the trail. I was looking at the atlas model because it hinges way differently. I'm probably going with an lod or aev style that are tied to the tailgate on my jkur.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

LeighP

I have the XRC Atlas rear bar and carrier. I know Smittybilt isn't flavour of the month, but I was offered this bar/carrier at a special rate...couldn't refuse a bargain, especially as the carrier will take two Jerry cans and my hi-lift.
I can say its not as nicely made as some of the more expensive units (in Australia, there are carrier/bar combinations that cost almost 3 times what I paid for the Smittybilt), but its an acceptable build/finish quality for the price. It fitted onto the JK perfectly - no mods required to make the bumper fit.
I've had it out in on the trails and not had any problems, had the spare tyre, Hi-lift and some recovery tracks strapped to it.....no rattles, never opened up etc.
Key to the Atlas carrier/bar seems to be getting the carrier adjustment right, and making sure the lock body is adjusted far enough forward to correctly snag the double stage locking pawls on the striker.
Downside...it is heavy - damned heavy.
Upside - integrated rated tow hitch in the bar and big, thick recovery eyes fitted, carries spare, two standard 5 gal Jerry cans and a hi-lift.

My mods were a larger rubber buffer pad to stop the carrier rattling on the striker, and I shortened the LH side of the carrier frame so it didn't obscure my licence plate.....I guess Smittybilt assumes everyone wants to move their plate to the spare....which I didn't want to do.

JRied

I also have the atlas rear bumper and tire carrier. Bought the jeep with it and have had no problems at all. It's my DD and off-road. Doesn't rattle one bit and the powder coat is holding strong. Only issue I've seen is the spring in the latch mechanism is beginning to show rust. Yes it is heavy (190lbs) but it glides when I open and close it with my 35" tire with little effort. Smittybilt has a bad rep around here but I haven't had any issues as of yet. I also like how it stores my jerry cans and hi lift jack behind the tire carrier

bman198

I have the ACE Engineering Pro Series rear bumper with tire carrier and love it. Roughly the same price as smittybilt depending on where you get it. I got mine through Northridge and it came out to be around $950 or so.

Burk24

All I can say is that you get what you pay for and Smittybilt isn't the same company that they used to be before 4WheelParts bought them out. Having said that, if I had to, I would rather run something like that then say a TeraFlex tire carrier or the like.

Thanks for the advice
I have heard more bad than good
about 4WHEELPARTS!!

Burk24

I have the ACE Engineering Pro Series rear bumper with tire carrier and love it. Roughly the same price as smittybilt depending on where you get it. I got mine through Northridge and it came out to be around $950 or so.

Thanks, I will check the Ace bumper out.
Also have had no problems at all ordering with NORTHRIDGE

Yeep

I have the Ace Pro front and rear.... I'm happy with them.... I got mine thru northridge too..

JRied

This is my favorite rear bumper by far

Burk24

Thanks everybody for all of your great info

Looks like I have a lot of options

I'll let u all know when I finally make up my mind

Thanks again, Burk24

Keep on Jeepin

Top Bottom