Front and Rear bumpers with tire carrier

mtnjp

If you can get out and find jeeps that have been fixed up, see what you can see in person. Ask the owners about them. Most guys love to talk about their stuff. Also look at photos of rigs on here and ask questions on those that look good to you.

I have mopar f/r and even though they are stout they are not my first pick for the looks I like. They came on my last jeep and I kept them because i got nothing for them on the trade in.

If you get in the back often and don't plan to drop a big 40 back there, i would recommend a linked tire carrier (opens WITH the tailgate) versus one you have to open separately from the tailgate. It is just simpler to open. The ones that replace the hinges on the tailgate don't seem to be popular, but I have no experience with those. So I am just spreading online info somebody else said. Take it all with a grain of salt.

I am planning on modifying mine to be linked, but will likely swap for something else later.

Find what YOU like.

I just installed a DV8 Offroad RS2 bumper and what sold me was the one handed opening feature. It uses 2 heim joints that connect the tire carrier to the rear door. It opens as single unit utilizing the rear door. The install went really easy and the unit is stout. It incorporates a class 3 hitch into the bumper and the whole thing is 3/16th steel. It also has two D ring mounts. I've had it on 3 long trips and it's rattle free. :thumb: Worth a look IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

scooter k

I just installed a DV8 Offroad RS2 bumper and what sold me was the one handed opening feature. It uses 2 heim joints that connect the tire carrier to the rear door. It opens as single unit utilizing the rear door. The install went really easy and the unit is stout. It incorporates a class 3 hitch into the bumper and the whole thing is 3/16th steel. It also has two D ring mounts. I've had it on 3 long trips and it's rattle free. :thumb: Worth a look IMO.

Where did you get it?

spinuck

First
You will talk to 10 people with 10 different set ups and get at least ten different answers. I can't say what will work best for you, only you can decide that.
Having said that my choice was Rock Hard for the front, to mount a winch and so I could hook up to my motor home without a bracket under the front bumper.
Rear is a Rock Slide Engineering with a linked carrier. The linked carrier allows me to open the tailgate and tire carrier with one hand, 3500 lb hitch and solid recovery points.
I drive mostly on road, but plan on off road out west (Utah, Arizona, Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Canada and Alaska next summer and fall.

You plan to off road out west, but you left out California?

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I like that the DV8 tire carrier has two links, even though it is probably overkill.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Do the powder coated steel bumpers rust a lot??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Depends on a lot of things....

1) How well the bumper was prepped before coating.
2) How well the bumper was coated.
3) How good the quality of the powdercoat is.
4) How thick the powdercoat layer is.
5) If it's scratched down to metal, it will begin to rust unless you catch it and fix it quickly.

Top Bottom