Thoughts on a WJ.

WJCO

Meme King
2 big selling points for us:

1) Being able to fit 3 kids while still maintaining a solid axle/coil spring suspension.
2) Price.

We bought ours with about 146k on it for 3600 dollars. We bought it from the 2nd owner and the OEM window sticker was in the glove box. The OEM price was 39000! We probably have about 5-6k in mods and we're leaving it as is. It's a great family vehicle with a decent amount of storage. Truthfully, the price is what led us to the WJ compared to the JK. The WJ has comfort too. Both my wife and I can say that the seats are the most comfortable seats we have ever ridden in. Also, the WJ aftermarket support has definitely expanded for sure. And same lug pattern as the JK, so there are some options there as well. I would definitely try to find a V8 if you can with a rear 44 axle.

thardy

Banned
2 big selling points for us:

1) Being able to fit 3 kids while still maintaining a solid axle/coil spring suspension.
2) Price.

We bought ours with about 146k on it for 3600 dollars. We bought it from the 2nd owner and the OEM window sticker was in the glove box. The OEM price was 39000! We probably have about 5-6k in mods and we're leaving it as is. It's a great family vehicle with a decent amount of storage. Truthfully, the price is what led us to the WJ compared to the JK. The WJ has comfort too. Both my wife and I can say that the seats are the most comfortable seats we have ever ridden in. Also, the WJ aftermarket support has definitely expanded for sure. And same lug pattern as the JK, so there are some options there as well. I would definitely try to find a V8 if you can with a rear 44 axle.

Why do you suggest the V8? Don't get me wrong, I love my V8s just as much, if not more than the next guy, but I've heard people say keeping the 4.7 temps down can be difficult when offroad.

WJCO

Meme King
Why do you suggest the V8? Don't get me wrong, I love my V8s just as much, if not more than the next guy, but I've heard people say keeping the 4.7 temps down can be difficult when offroad.

Power. Also, with a good operating cooling system, the temps should be fine. We've never had an issue. I believe the rear 44 axle and limited slip is only available with the V8. If you go with the 4.0, I'm pretty sure that the rear is a D35 with no LS. The downside is that if you do allow the temps to get too hot, the V8s can drop valve seats.

thardy

Banned
Power. Also, with a good operating cooling system, the temps should be fine. We've never had an issue. I believe the rear 44 axle and limited slip is only available with the V8. If you go with the 4.0, I'm pretty sure that the rear is a D35 with no LS. The downside is that if you do allow the temps to get too hot, the V8s can drop valve seats.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. A WJ is still on my short list of next rig options. Thinking XJ is at the top so far.

WJCO

Meme King
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. A WJ is still on my short list of next rig options. Thinking XJ is at the top so far.

No problem. We looked at XJs as well. We chose the WJ over the ZJ strictly because we liked the body style. As far as the XJ, some even have frames. Overall we've been very happy with the WJ. We've been looking at a lot of JKs now too, but if we buy, it will be a pavement princess for the wife with minimal mods. We're very definitely keeping the WJ for our main off-road rig and we are both very happy with that decision.

thardy

Banned
No problem. We looked at XJs as well. We chose the WJ over the ZJ strictly because we liked the body style. As far as the XJ, some even have frames. Overall we've been very happy with the WJ. We've been looking at a lot of JKs now too, but if we buy, it will be a pavement princess for the wife with minimal mods. We're very definitely keeping the WJ for our main off-road rig and we are both very happy with that decision.

I don't blame you. We're getting the wife a JK that will be for her daily duties as well as family outings. It wouldn't be something crazy. The rig for me would be a mostly trail rig.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

That's some great info thank you. It's probably in your build thread but did you add anything to help keep the engine temps down?

WJCO

Meme King
That's some great info thank you. It's probably in your build thread but did you add anything to help keep the engine temps down?

It had a new rad when we bought it. Other than that, we found out it had a bad fan clutch after installing the winch. No mods for the cooling system though.

WJCO

Meme King
Mr. Ty, here is another convincing reason to get one, lol. This would be a very practical reason to buy one.

march_08_1_14.jpg

JeepWJ

Actually there are 4.0s with LSD and quadradrive out there. I know because I have one. :D

Every WJ came with D30 front axle V8 or V6. V8 came with D44 rear and some came with an aluminum casing called D44a. From what I hear they are not too popular because they get dinged too easy.

Last edited:

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Actually there are 4.0s with LSD and quadradrive out there. I know because I have one. :D

Every WJ came with D30 front axle V8 or V6. V8 came with D44 rear and some came with an aluminum casing called D44a. From what I hear they are not too popular because they get dinged too easy.

This link should answer all your questions about what to look for while buying a WJ.

Oh shit. A link to another forum. This thread is about to blow up.

Last edited by a moderator:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

This link should answer all your ]

You need to Loose the link and I think you'll find they only came with either a D35 or the D44a no D44 option.

Last edited:

JeepWJ

Oh shit. A link to another forum. This thread is about to blow up.

Damn! Didn't know I just committed the ultimate sin. Lol.

You need to Loose the link and I think you'll find they only came with either a D35 or the D44a no D44 option.

Deleted mine but it still is in yours. Lmao. They do have the D44 and D44a and limited WJs did have the quadradrive option regardless of being I6 or V8.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Damn! Didn't know I just committed the ultimate sin. Lol.

Deleted mine but it still is in yours. Lmao. They do have the D44 and D44a and limited WJs did have the quadradrive option regardless of being I6 or V8.

Not arguing the i6 quadradrive there was also a RHD diesel i5 quadradrive option but no D44. I've never seen one and it ain't in the factory workshop manual.

You got something to prove it?

JeepWJ

Not arguing the i6 quadradrive there was also a RHD diesel i5 quadradrive option but no D44. I've never seen one and it ain't in the factory workshop manual.

You got something to prove it?

I stand corrected lol. I guess I got confused because there are so people on the other forum swap their D44a to D44, it made me think that it came with D44 in the older models.

Steven1756

I have a 2010 WK, 3.5 lift in the front, 2.5 lift in the back. I'm running 33x10.5R18. Stock 18 inch rims with 1.5 wheel spacer. I did the pinch weld mod in the front and trimmed the plastic wheel well covers. I have very little rubbing. rubs at full wheel lock when backing up and at full flex. The quadra drive II is amazing. I can take this WK any place other big jeeps go. It has the locking front and rear diff in 4low. I couldn't ask for a better WK. I would recommend the WK to anyone looking for a Grand Cherokee. You can't go wrong.

Attachments

• my jeep.jpg
    my jeep.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 42

Lucas J

I have a 2010 WK, 3.5 lift in the front, 2.5 lift in the back. I'm running 33x10.5R18. Stock 18 inch rims with 1.5 wheel spacer. I did the pinch weld mod in the front and trimmed the plastic wheel well covers. I have very little rubbing. rubs at full wheel lock when backing up and at full flex. The quadra drive II is amazing. I can take this WK any place other big jeeps go. It has the locking front and rear diff in 4low. I couldn't ask for a better WK. I would recommend the WK to anyone looking for a Grand Cherokee. You can't go wrong.

How did you achieve the 3.5 inches up front?

Top Bottom