From the Experts: Why the 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler MAY come with a Fixed Roof

Brent McCartney

Here comes the Nanny States of America, here to protect you from your self. I'm glad I just bought my 2015 JKU after reading this. A Jeep is a wrangler Topless and Dirty all the way.

jeepjungle

Just saying.......

Now that I have removed the taste of BARF from my mouth after seeing what they want to replace the JK with........... Maybe the government should stop with all this crazy safety stuff and focus on who they allow behind the wheel of the vehicles on (and off) the road! Seems there are quite a few people out there that are buying their DL without having to really learn to drive and actually pass a driving test.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, according to David Zata on AllPar, it looks like the all new Jeep JL Wrangler will in fact be coming with a fixed roof that has removable panels much like the Renegade. According to their sources, this will help to "lose some weight without going to aluminum, by reducing the amount of bracing needed in cars without fixed roofs". This is all going hand in hand with what Bob Sheaves predicted a year ago with his assumption that FCA would design the Wrangler in a way so they did not need to use the “convertible exemption” in Federal rules. See the article below...

Wrangler “JL” changes (updated)
by David Zatz on 2015-08-24

Nearly one year ago, consulting engineer Robert Sheaves predicted that the next generation of Jeep Wranglers would be designed so they did not need to use the “convertible exemption” in Federal rules, in case it was revoked.

He wrote, at the time, “I expect the first direction to be an open, fixed structure with removable panels of plastic and/or cloth material, and a fixed A-pillar that no longer folds.” The Wrangler would allow for higher crush loads on the A-pillar, and presumably have some rear protection as well.

Now, an Allpar source wrote that the “JL” Jeep Wrangler, expected in 2017 or 2018, would indeed follow this pattern. It might also allow Wrangler to lose some weight without going to aluminum, by reducing the amount of bracing needed in cars without fixed roofs, while still allowing a high level of visibility.

http://news.allpar.com/index.php/2015/08/wrangler-jl-to-meet-normal-safety-standards-29744

Trail Bud

Hooked
What would happen if you cut the top off after you buy it and install a full cage like others have stated?
You could still drive on the streets correct?
BTW: I like the look of the 1/2 doors.

JAGS

Hooked
So they would all come with a sort of trektop pro semi convertible. Not sure what to think. I get it, but man that would just not be the same as a topless wrangler.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really is disappointing that so much of vehicle design these days is dictated by the need to meet federal regulations. I can only hope that the new JL with a fixed roof will be just one of two options available to consumers just like a Mustang or Camaro is offered in a hard top or convertible.

JakeJK

Well, according to David Zata on AllPar, it looks like the all new Jeep JL Wrangler will in fact be coming with a fixed roof that has removable panels much like the Renegade. According to their sources, this will help to "lose some weight without going to aluminum, by reducing the amount of bracing needed in cars without fixed roofs". This is all going hand in hand with what Bob Sheaves predicted a year ago with his assumption that FCA would design the Wrangler in a way so they did not need to use the “convertible exemption” in Federal rules. See the article below...

Has the convertible exemption been upturned yet? I think they should stick with the JK until it does or doesn't.

JAGS

Hooked
It really is disappointing that so much of vehicle design these days is dictated by the need to meet federal regulations. I can only hope that the new JL with a fixed roof will be just one of two options available to consumers just like a Mustang or Camaro is offered in a hard top or convertible.

I'd be ok with this I guess. Can't fault the company for trying to meet the guidelines.

Sounds like a big change. Not happy with it. I will be giving my son my current jk when he goes to college so I can get a new one and start over. If the new ones suck, pretty sure I can find a semi new mall crawler from a soccer mom.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
30 mpg? We're either getting Renegade-sized and powered vehicles or diesels. Dear god let it be diesels.

Have you ever seen the older Jeeps? The Renegade is pretty big compared to them......

Edit: I should say older wranglers/CJs

I've been really busy and haven't had much WAL time lately so I'm late to the party here...

...but the single biggest feature that will keep me from purchasing an early JL is the top. I want an open top, PERIOD! I can't imagine trying to wheel a hard top regularly here in the mid-west to east. I have hit my B-pillar more times than I can count and drug the bar to the C-pillar several times. There is no way a fixed roof will last without looking like crap after a few trails.

I'm already a hatter of color-keyed fenders and top because it makes the Jeep look like a Hummer but a fixed top will go too far. :icon_crazy:

FuriousDz

Sucks about the roof but I have to say I think I would be more upset if they took away the removable doors. I love driving with no doors more than no roof. There are plenty of vehicles that can take the top down but no doors is truely a jeep thing.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Agreed with many above. If the open top goes away, I'm out. The main reason I have stuck with Jeeps for so long is the open top. There are a few vehicles that can be modified to work great off-road, but none of them are open top, which is why I got a Jeep in the first place. Looks like my current Jeep may be my last.

JamesWyatt

Have you ever seen the older Jeeps? The Renegade is pretty big compared to them......

Edit: I should say older wranglers/CJs

Yes, but I'd like to keep the current cargo capacity and shoulder room I already have.

But I'm less concerned about the JL size and more concerned about getting an anemic 4 cyl engine or some sort of hybrid system that doesn't have all the kinks worked out. The fact that the words "plug-in minivan" came out of the same mouth during the announcement has me concerned.

...I can't imagine trying to wheel a hard top regularly here in the mid-west to east. I have hit my B-pillar more times than I can count and drug the bar to the C-pillar several times. There is no way a fixed roof will last without looking like crap after a few trails...

Sounds like there will be an aftermarket opportunity for roof skid rails.

JamesWyatt

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/fca-dealer-show-rumor-roundup-trackhawk-info-new-wran-1726546007

^Posted on another forum and is relevant to the original article.

Evidently the new Wrangler WAS revealed, so even though no phones where allowed, it's only a matter of time until some renegade (pun) photos leak (pun#2). There should also be frothing-at-the-mouth verbal descriptions appearing online. For now all we have is "not a big departure but shares nothing".

Power Wagon will now come with 35" tires, but were shown with 37"s - sweet.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yes, but I'd like to keep the current cargo capacity and shoulder room I already have.

But I'm less concerned about the JL size and more concerned about getting an anemic 4 cyl engine or some sort of hybrid system that doesn't have all the kinks worked out. The fact that the words "plug-in minivan" came out of the same mouth during the announcement has me concerned.

I deffinitely agree with you there.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/fca-dealer-show-rumor-roundup-trackhawk-info-new-wran-1726546007

^Posted on another forum and is relevant to the original article.

Evidently the new Wrangler WAS revealed, so even though no phones where allowed, it's only a matter of time until some renegade (pun) photos leak (pun#2). There should also be frothing-at-the-mouth verbal descriptions appearing online. For now all we have is "not a big departure but shares nothing".

Power Wagon will now come with 35" tires, but were shown with 37"s - sweet.

Lol read that whole article for that. I am still hopeful for the JL, and if the hard top is no longer removable I hope that they at least do a convertible model.

Top Bottom