Upgrade maps on nav

rodgerdathug

Gents, have a question. I have a 08 jk with the rer radio with nav. The question I have is I want to upgrade the software. I don't feel like paying the 145 bucks for it. Has anyone done the upgrade. Any info would be great.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Gents, have a question. I have a 08 jk with the rer radio with nav. The question I have is I want to upgrade the software. I don't feel like paying the 145 bucks for it. Has anyone done the upgrade. Any info would be great.

I think it's worth the money for the upgrade although I don't want to pay it either. I imagine it takes quite a bit of work to update all the data contained in the maps and someone has been paid to do it, so I don't think $145 is too much to ask. Compared to any other software I buy this is totally within reason. Just my 2 cents.

rodgerdathug

I think it's worth the money for the upgrade although I don't want to pay it either. I imagine it takes quite a bit of work to update all the data contained in the maps and someone has been paid to do it, so I don't think $145 is too much to ask. Compared to any other software I buy this is totally within reason. Just my 2 cents.

Well I understand. But I just got a software update for the radio itself. Which was free. From jeep. I've seen things about burning info to cd. If no one done it I'll just keep using my iPhone.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Well I understand. But I just got a software update for the radio itself. Which was free. From jeep. I've seen things about burning info to cd. If no one done it I'll just keep using my iPhone.

I haven't heard of anyone ripping a data cd for the maps update but I'm sure it can be done just like any other copy operation. I doubt you'll find a torrent of it. The radio software is probably Mopar software but the map software is from a third party like Garmin and therefore not covered under the free category. You might talk to your dealer and somehow get a free update. Good luck!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I've got a 2012 and did the $145 update in late 2013. Expensive, but an upgrade in both accuracy and features. I think it was from Navteq and will probably do it again in 2016.

So I'm thinking about doing an update. I'm just wondering if it will interfere with a lock pick and/or with a back up camera.

pastorwug

The map updates are VIN specific and cannot be used in any other vehicle.
They foresaw what they knew we would try - buy one and spread the love.

rodgerdathug

Thanks gents,

I was going to see if it was possible. But looks like it isn't so I'll be using iPhone maps which 75% is like the 08 maps. Saying I'm driving down the middle of some field lol look like I'll try google maps on the iPhone. Thanks yall for the help

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Spend the money on a standalone garmin with free lifetime updates. Phones dont work everywhere if the maps are not pre-installed

The only thing i really like about my very overpriced factory system is that it is in the dash already.

pastorwug

I think I would only consider an update every 4 to 5 years.
There has been a bunch of construction in our town and hopefully the 2015 update will include those.

2011jk

There is a guy on ebay that sells the updates for the Radio and Nav for about $10, doesn't even cover the cost of 7-8 CD's and shipping. Great instructions. I've updated my '07 nav and my '11 nav using his kit.

I can get PM you his email if anyone wants it.

Rccrwlr

There is a guy on ebay that sells the updates for the Radio and Nav for about $10, doesn't even cover the cost of 7-8 CD's and shipping. Great instructions. I've updated my '07 nav and my '11 nav using his kit.

I can get PM you his email if anyone wants it.

Please pm me info

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Unless you live in an area of the country that has been heavily developed over the last 7 years, don't waste your money. You know you need an update when you regularly drive on roads that don't appear on your navi. If you are always on a road (as far as your navi is concerned) then you would be spending money on nothing.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Navteq updates their maps quarterly, however, those are usually minor updates. Majors happen every few years, and even then, some things are still missing. You can submit a road/area you'd like them to map, and they will add it to their list, and within a year or so, it will be updated.

rodgerdathug

another sweet one!

Yes that's the problem KY seem like they have money. So they been making roads everywhere lol. It sucks when trying to use nav and it routes me on the old road back to where I should of been on lol. Its a pain in the forth point of contact but I will say since apple allowed Google maps I like it more then apple maps

Top Bottom