What is needed to add a winch?

el_chupo_

When adding a winch, does one need to change/upgrade batteries, or go to a dual battery setup?

Other than a mount (or bumper) to put it on, and the vacuum relocation (if needed), what else needs to be added/done/considered?

I see a lot of guys with power switches in the cab for power and in/out. Is that something that needs to be done, or can the winch be left hooked up to battery power without a power switch? Or does it come with an in-line power switch?

And last, any reason not to buy a used Warn? Is warranty only good for original purchaser? Anything to watch for or that can be tested when the winch is not installed on a vehicle?

Thanks!

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I have a Warn on mine, bought it new in 2000, it's on it's second jeep now and still running strong, if you find a used one in good shape grab it. Always had it connected directly to the battery and never had a problem.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
When adding a winch, does one need to change/upgrade batteries, or go to a dual battery setup?

Other than a mount (or bumper) to put it on, and the vacuum relocation (if needed), what else needs to be added/done/considered?

I see a lot of guys with power switches in the cab for power and in/out. Is that something that needs to be done, or can the winch be left hooked up to battery power without a power switch? Or does it come with an in-line power switch?

And last, any reason not to buy a used Warn? Is warranty only good for original purchaser? Anything to watch for or that can be tested when the winch is not installed on a vehicle?

Thanks!

I upgraded my battery when it died. I bought a battery accessory kit for mine from Quadretec.

battery terminals.jpg

I upgraded my battery when it died. I bought a battery accessory kit for mine from Quadretec.

View attachment 112220

^This and if you want to put a power switch in you will have to look at Pastowug's build thread. He used a starter solenoid. I have mine hard wired to the batter using the above terminals. If you are going to put a winch on a stock bumper there is a winch plate you can get. If you are looking for a bumper look one that has the winch set into the bumper.

R/
Will

GuillaumeC91

I have a Warn on mine, bought it new in 2000, it's on it's second jeep now and still running strong, if you find a used one in good shape grab it. Always had it connected directly to the battery and never had a problem.

When you say directly connected to the battery, do you mean you have the winch control unit directly connected to the battery or the winch itself? The control unit usually consists of a solenoid switch with multiple throws to give you forward/reverse unless you have a model that only pulls I guess.

I ended up opening up the control unit that came with my Mile Marker winch and relocating that solenoid under the hood, but when I use the winch I always have to open the hood to flip the switch. Wondering if I could just leave it on.

For the OP, here's what my little baby Jeep looked like with only a winch plate and a cut stock bumper (don't mind the grill color, that's been removed since):
1416965277721.jpg

el_chupo_

Thanks for the info and the battery terminal info!

I am just trying to get all the info I will need to changes planned figured out, so I can decide what to do, in what steps.

Any risk of using the winch and draining your battery, then shutting off your jeep and not being able to start it again?

Gadget

Caught the Bug
When you say directly connected to the battery, do you mean you have the winch control unit directly connected to the battery or the winch itself? The control unit usually consists of a solenoid switch with multiple throws to give you forward/reverse unless you have a model that only pulls I guess.

I ended up opening up the control unit that came with my Mile Marker winch and relocating that solenoid under the hood, but when I use the winch I always have to open the hood to flip the switch. Wondering if I could just leave it on.

For the OP, here's what my little baby Jeep looked like with only a winch plate and a cut stock bumper (don't mind the grill color, that's been removed since):
View attachment 112227

The winch itself.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info and the battery terminal info!

I am just trying to get all the info I will need to changes planned figured out, so I can decide what to do, in what steps.

Any risk of using the winch and draining your battery, then shutting off your jeep and not being able to start it again?

I always have the engine running when using the winch so I don't drain the battery. Never had a problem.

ttfhell

Thanks for the info and the battery terminal info! I am just trying to get all the info I will need to changes planned figured out, so I can decide what to do, in what steps. Any risk of using the winch and draining your battery, then shutting off your jeep and not being able to start it again?
Always have your engine on when winching. Huge load is placed on the electrical system. Prob ok with no load on the line for a bit but not loaded.

davantalus

I've seen some computer module options for a fast idle. I'm assuming this is a nice to have but not totally necessary?

jman_12

I'm using my stock battery but my battery died the last time I used my winch. So I would highly recommend looking at a dual battery setup, and Optima makes batteries designed for use specifically for winching

jknikos

Τhe general rule of winching is as much time as you winch, the same time you let it cool down. Not only the line, but the winch itself, too. If someone puts a lot of pressure on his winch i think an optima yellow top or generally every 'deep cycle' battery is a good idea. Our regural batteries (starting batteries) are not designed to be able to recover from a very deep discharge, and they will lose a percentage of their power or fail completely sometime. I personally have not upgraded my battery yet despite having and using a winch. No problems so far but who knows :eek:

holy_crap

Thanks!

Buying a used Warn is like buying a used anything. I would not pay more than 1/2 of what I could get it for new. Having met the price criteria, find out its history, hopefully it's someone you know, don't just take the guy selling it for his word, if in doubt get it checked out. Test it under load, listen to how it sounds and how it pulls, open the case and check for corrosion, open the solenoid box and check as as well. Warn is a great brand, but they do fail and break just like any other winch. Also for warranty info, don't ask people, ask Warn and give them a specific serial number and get the warranty information in writing from them.

Someone please explain.

In regard to the high idle switch. Is it just me or is that a complete waste? This is not 1946 with generators. All new vehicles have an internal regulator to adjust for power output from the alternator. Higher RPM's don't equate to higher power output as they did in the old days. The only thing that will cause more output from an alternator is a load or low battery, again self regulated.

I call bs on any type of module or high idle switch.

Or am I just completely missing something?

Last edited:

RubiHB

Not a scam. The faster the wires cut through a magnetic field the more current it is able to supply. Idle voltage ratings are based off of a set RPM the manufacture provides. Sometimes engine idle rates meet this, mostly they don't. It's like a super charger, the faster it spins, the more current output.

Not a scam. The faster the wires cut through a magnetic field the more current it is able to supply. Idle voltage ratings are based off of a set RPM the manufacture provides. Sometimes engine idle rates meet this, mostly they don't. It's like a super charger, the faster it spins, the more current output.

It's nothing like a super charger but I get what your saying.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I'm using my stock battery but my battery died the last time I used my winch. So I would highly recommend looking at a dual battery setup, and Optima makes batteries designed for use specifically for winching

Dual batteries are completely unnecessary, a single good battery is more than fine. If anything just upgrade your battery. And never use the winch with your engine off.

David1tontj

I only have one battery. I use my winch all the time and I almost never have problems. I say almost because about two years ago, I was snow wheeling with some friends and came to a nasty uphill climb that I kept sliding backwards on. It was several hundred feet long, and one side had a steep drop. After 2-3 attempts that resulted in me sliding backwards down the hill, I finally decided to pull cable as a safety decision. This was a night run so I had all my lights on (not led at the time) the first 100' of cable went great, but my winch was too slow for me to keep the clutch out, and I also wanted to keep RPMs up keep the battery charged.. By having the clutch in, I was making the winch work very hard and it was drawing a lot of juice.. After the first 100 foot pull, I re-strung the winch for another long pull, and about halfway through, my headlights started dimming real bad.. I decided to turn back since I wasn't in a place to make a mistake.

Had I been using the engine to help the winch, it wouldn't have had to work so hard and wouldn't have drawn that much power, but it was just a perfect storm of bad scenarios.

That is the only time I have had my winch drain my battery to the severe point- and I even winch without the motor running all the time. (Only to respool with no load)

To one of your other points- I hook the leads up straight to the battery with no cutoff or fuse... This has gotten me in trouble one time... I was using the hi-lift jack on my front bumper, and when I was coming down, the jack hit the remote plug on the solenoid pack and shorted it out.. Smoke and sparks began shooting out of it. Knowing that there was no fuse, I knew exactly what I needed to do- I quickly popped the hood and was able to twist off my negative battery cable from the battery before things got too bad. This was maybe 15-20 seconds.
Scary... It was a close call, and I was able to just buy a new remote plug that fixed everything.

When I installed my rear winch, I put a cutoff switch on it 😁

Anyway- 99.5% of the time, your single batter setup will be fine, but if you find yourself in the perfect storm, you may need to let the battery charge a little between winching.

And as far a the cutoff- you should also be fine, just make sure to route your wires where they won't fray, and be cautious around your solenoid pack.

Top Bottom