Howdy from Ft Benning, GA

RMC2

Caught the Bug
:thumb:
Ok, it is time to finally give a wave. I do wave in person. I have been a longtime reader (not a troll). I just don't post too often anywhere or send much email (outside of work), probably because I am too lazy to type on an Ipad. Plus I was too lazy to type all of this up, but I am home today.

Ok, so short story told long. Long enough most of you will pass on reading it.

A little about me: I am a born and bread Okie. I have spent over 25 years in the Army and have a few years to go. Two kids, three grandkids and a beautiful wife. I have way too many hobbies to keep up with, especially since the Army keeps me busy, and I get lazy at home.

I am recovering from beating advanced Stage IV colon cancer that really slowed me down. That was about a 1 in 10 chance for survival so anything that happens now is gravy. The Lord and a lot of family and friends have been in my corner, not too mention good nurses and doctors. Not asking for any pity, but telling everyone to go get a colonoscopy if you are due. I was only a month past turning 43 when I was diagnosed (and just shy of 46 now).

About my vehicles: I have been a off road newb for about 25 years starting with an 83 Toyota that I bought in 89 as my first vehicle and i put on a 3 inch lift and 33's on it. I have owned at least one 4x4 pickup truck since then. That toyota was supposed to be an 84 CJ-8, but that didn't happen. I have wanted a CJ since I was so young I didn't even know the top came off. I finally traded the toyota for an 85 CJ-7 in 94, but I used to occasionally swap keys for the same CJ for years before that. I still own the CJ and it essentially still stock, but currently in storage in Oklahoma, where I am from. I rebuilt the head a couple of years ago but burned up some wires cranking on the starter too hard. It had some really bad oil seals. I haven't had time to fix the wiring yet. I bought an 09 JKUR with some minor stuff on it like bumpers, winch, and two inch lift. I really enjoyed the 09, but upgraded it to a 13 JKUR for the better engine and the auto tranny was easier on me. I swapped the bumpers and winch to the new one after I got it home and had the dealer swap the tires from the 09, before I left the lot. I have been shopping new tires/wheels/lift since but but wanted to get a few miles into the warranty first and couldn't make up my mind anyway. Most likely do the 3" enforcer with Rancho 9000 shocks, 35ish Duratracks and ATX 194 ravines. I still need to do axle gussets too. I need to upgrade to something that serve as a step for the wife on the sides and can't decide what I like there either. One day, it will also get bumpers I like better but I am in no hurry on that one. I may even build my own.

About my wheelin: i used to get out a lot more in Oklahoma, mostly trail riding, river running and rough logging roads in Oklahoma. I always had to be careful about wrecking my DD though. I used to get crazy on my atv instead. I would say now I am more of the overlander style (almost) to get me places to enjoy other hobbies.

I really feel like I am a mall-crawler wanna-be since I don't even hardly get too crawl over parking lot speed bumps. I will say this though, try offroading in a mine field. That will get your attention.

Oh, i still feel like a newb, after 25 years.

Happy Thansgiving
Matt

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Happy Thanksgiving Matt and Welcome to Wayalife! sounds like you have a good idea set up for a build. for steps i would suggest the LoD bolt on sliders. they have a step built in for the wife and are very stout sliders for when you hit the trail. Best of luck with your recovery!

thardy

Banned
Welcome to WAL! First, thank you for your service. Second, if you ever want to make a run up to the North GA mountains, let me know. I try to go up there as often as possible!

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. I cant wait to get up to north Ga, for a variety of reasons, that might be doable in the spring for me.

I have looked at the LOD sliders but haven't seen any in person. I like the set up though.

What is funny on the build, is my wife keeps asking when I am going to order and put it all on. She is tired of a plain jeep. She used used to own a CJ7 long before we met.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I forgot to add that I have only been here a couple of months. I was stationed in Albuquerque last.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Yeah i have been in a while. 25 total, the last 16+ active. 4-5 to go and I am ready for it. I haven't been to Benning since Aug of 90. It sure is different from what little I remember. Like seeing tanks when I go to work.

I sure feel very very lucky on beating cancer. I just did a follow up CT scan yesterday and expect continued good news next week. :D

Top Bottom