Tires/ Rims/ Sizes

ClarksAdventures

Looking for a little help/advice.

I got my 2014 JKR in June.

I plan on running 35's Nitto Trail Grapplers, on the original rims( partly to save money, and partly cause I like the look of them). Also plan on adding a nice 3" lift to complete the package.

My questions are.

Will original rims limit tires sizes or types I can run?

I don't want to run bead locks, but are there other quality rim companies I should look at?

I went to the store today and looked at different tread types. I saw 37's and they were calling my name. But aren't 37's a bit of an overkill for a 2dr? And won't I need to start upgrading axles and such if I go bigger than a 35?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Looking for a little help/advice.

I got my 2014 JKR in June.

I plan on running 35's Nitto Trail Grapplers, on the original rims( partly to save money, and partly cause I like the look of them). Also plan on adding a nice 3" lift to complete the package.

My questions are.

Will original rims limit tires sizes or types I can run?

I don't want to run bead locks, but are there other quality rim companies I should look at?

I went to the store today and looked at different tread types. I saw 37's and they were calling my name. But aren't 37's a bit of an overkill for a 2dr? And won't I need to start upgrading axles and such if I go bigger than a 35?

With stock rims the max width you can run is 12.5". Max size I would run is a 35 but I'm sure you can do 37's.

Atx makes great wheels that are none beadlock. Other than that I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

Hinrich and a few others run 37's and 3" of lift on 2 doors and it looks awesome. I will have 37's on my rig soon as well. Since you have a rubi your factory front axle will hold up for a while. Just put some C gussets on it and your good to go. Eventually you will want to upgrade to a pr44 for extra strength but run the factory one till it breaks.

ClarksAdventures

Thanks! I went to discount tire(Americas tire in my area) and they said the 35x12.5r17 wouldn't fit because my rims weren't wide enough. Said I'd have to go the 315/70r17 instead.

There's really not a difference right in sizes right?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks! I went to discount tire(Americas tire in my area) and they said the 35x12.5r17 wouldn't fit because my rims weren't wide enough. Said I'd have to go the 315/70r17 instead.

A 315 is actually a lot bigger then a 35. Sounds like they had some stock to get rid of on you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Discount Tire really told you that??

Yeah, there's a BIG difference between the two sizes. A 35x12.50R17 will have a true measurement that is about 33" where as a 315/70R17 will have a true measurement that's just shy of 35". A 37x12.50R17 will also have a true measurement of about 35". In other words, Discount Tire is recommending that you run a BIGGER tire because the 35x12.50R17's you wanted "wouldn't fit" on your rims.

What you should be looking at is a 305 or even a 285. On a 17" wheel, that'll get you running a tire that is closer to an advertised 35.

Top Bottom