Help!!

I'm writing an internal assessment paper in my social studies class about something historians have had "debate" or "disagreement" upon. So my question is "why did the pentagon choose the jeep as its work vehicle during WWII compared to other 4 wheel drives?" I need to answer this question in a way that shows how the pentagon made its decision and how there is debate among historians as to why they choose the Willy's General Purpose. Or as we affectionately call it, Jeep! Any help with this finding sources would be great!!!!

jims68

We just watched a documentary on this on the History Channel called Modern Marvels The Jeep. It is on YouTube also. They go through the different manufactures and models and kind of a hypothesis of why the one model was picked. Is this really how it happened in the Pentagon? Maybe, but money and influence helps also but they were desperate for this vehicle so.........

BlackBandit

Ya theres deffinitly some good stuff on the history of jeeps on youtube bantom where the origonal guys who made jeep but they where too small and went bankrupt in 1950ish

BlackBandit

Bantom beat all the other manufactures in making the true off road army utility vehicle. Jeep came from a few terms I was told general purpose and I also saw that they called untested vehicles GP and it got the name jeep as a nickname I guess. But bantom could not keep up with ford and willies ability to mass produce so basicly they got ahold of the scematics and mass produced em for the war.

BlackBandit

They put the jeep as we know it as today though many tests in the army to try and break it and it passed where others broke.

Top Bottom