Limited slip differential

JKbrick

Changed the fluid in my sons TJ yesterday and have a question. The build sheet for his serial number said "trac lock differential rear axle". With both tires off the ground both wheels turned the same direction but the rear end pictured
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417974090.918582.jpg
Seems to look like the front end to me.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417974136.184331.jpg
Anyone know if the rear looks like a limited slip? I went ahead and put 4oz of additive in there just in case

David1tontj

Limited slips do look like open sometimes. The clutch packs are behind the side spider gears. I thought there would be a center spring though that pushes the side gears away from each other (kinda like a big "s" looking thing.)

In my opinion-the picture you have cannot say it isn't a posi.

If when one wheel is up, it still gets power to the other, then I'm sure it is a posi.

Have you tried jacking both wheels up, and leaving it in gear(or park). An open diff would spin the other wheel in the opposite direction when turning one of the wheels. A posi might still do this, but there would be resistance.

JKbrick

Looks like a standard open diff to me..

That's what I thought, I planned on seeing something different than the gears in the carrier I've seen welded together before. It has G2 gears that are 4:11 so whomever did that must have taken the stock carrier out maybe.

MarkW13

Changed the fluid in my sons TJ yesterday and have a question. The build sheet for his serial number said "trac lock differential rear axle". With both tires off the ground both wheels turned the same direction but the rear end pictured
View attachment 113754
Seems to look like the front end to me.
View attachment 113755
Anyone know if the rear looks like a limited slip? I went ahead and put 4oz of additive in there just in case

If the top pic is the rear i'd say you have a trac lock. The parts diagrams i saw has View attachment 113757 a more tubular carrier with the plates on the opposite side of the ring gear. The second picture with the tapered carrier is consistent with pictures of open carriers.

JKbrick

Limited slips do look like open sometimes. The clutch packs are behind the side spider gears. I thought there would be a center spring though that pushes the side gears away from each other (kinda like a big "s" looking thing.)

In my opinion-the picture you have cannot say it isn't a posi.

If when one wheel is up, it still gets power to the other, then I'm sure it is a posi.

Have you tried jacking both wheels up, and leaving it in gear(or park). An open diff would spin the other wheel in the opposite direction when turning one of the wheels. A posi might still do this, but there would be resistance.

Both rear wheels spun the same direction but I don't remember if it was in or out of gear. That is what I remember doing in my younger years to see if it was open but now I don't know

JKbrick

If the top pic is the rear i'd say you have a trac lock. The parts diagrams i saw has View attachment 113757 a more tubular carrier with the plates on the opposite side of the ring gear. The second picture with the tapered carrier is consistent with pictures of open carriers.

It looked like #9 but I expected to see #10 from your diagram, thanks for the pic

David1tontj

Both rear wheels spun the same direction but I don't remember if it was in or out of gear. That is what I remember doing in my younger years to see if it was open but now I don't know

I really think it is a posi.

Here are a couple other pics of some dana 35 posis

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417976868.218437.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417976900.574971.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417976924.670240.jpg .

Like mentioned above, the side of the carrier is much squarer with a posi. And after looking at these pics, I realized that for the dana 35, they do not have that "s" spring I was talking about earlier.

Top Bottom