Cordless Impact Gun?

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Nice! Same here. I just bought into the 18v Milwaukee "system" with an 18v Fuel impact driver. It has about 135ft/lbs of torque and is perfect for small jobs like taking lugs on and off. Next on the list is the 1/2 Fuel impact wrench. :thumb:

I went the same route, nothing but good things to say about the Milwaukee impacts...

they also make some kick ass bottle openers. lol

Hot94Z28

Another vote for Milwaukee I used the shit out of mine and has never let me down. All M12/18 cordless.

Bustedback

I have an Ingersoll Rand 20V electric impact wrench that I use every day. They can be found for around 500 bucks. I never use my air impact anymore.

Richard

Add another to Milwaukee their tools are superb albeit pricey but they get the job done and they can take a beating as well.

el_chupo_

Havoc40

Cool vid but I'll share my experience with this. I mentioned in the torque wrench thread my buddy runs a few Snap-on trucks. Meaning I get the best price possible for Snap-on and have transitioned to buying tools off him almost 100% of the time.

I was recently put to shame by a coworker when my freshly charged few month old Snap-on 8850 couldn't bust a bolt free. He walked over with a smile and his Milwaukee 2763...bolt came right out. :mad::doh:

Point being, Snap-on is not always the holy grail. I do love their tools though!!

Last edited:

utiadam

LOSER
Cool vid but I'll share my experience with this. I mentioned in the torque wrench thread my buddy runs a few Snap-on trucks. Meaning I get the best price possible for Snap-on and have transitioned to buying tools off him almost 100% of the time.

I was recently put to shame by a coworker when my freshly charged few month old Snap-on 8820 couldn't bust a bolt free. He walked over with a smile and his Milwaukee 2763...bolt came right out. :mad::doh:

Point being, Snap-on is not always the holy grail. I do love their tools though!!

I definitely agree that they are not always the best. I used to have just about every possible ingersoll Rand IQv product but when I compared those to the snap on cordless lineup they were left in the dust. I sold all the IQv tools to a coworker and bought all snap on.

Spudcannons

I definitely agree that they are not always the best. I used to have just about every possible ingersoll Rand IQv product but when I compared those to the snap on cordless lineup they were left in the dust. I sold all the IQv tools to a coworker and bought all snap on.

The best for the highest price but you get what you pay for. How do the cordless compare to air impact guns?

el_chupo_

The vid is pretty impressive, thanks for posting it. The difference between the M18 and the IR is about what I expected (as far as differences between them), both are very good.

A bit surprised that they both came so much lower than advertised, but the SO came in 15% higher than advertised, but I dont think that really matters to me.

Even as a pro auto-mechanic, the need for anything over a few hundred is extremely limited, and with the M18 I was out about $140 to add the 2763 to my tool box (already an M18 user) vs the $700 for the SO.

I love their tools, but I dont need it for this. And Havoc's experience with the M18 is not far off from many others I have heard.

At the end of the day, I think all of the 600-700 rated impacts will all do a helluva good job. I know several mechanics (to include a couple "master" level at a BMW/Mini delaership), and the teams they are on see an assortment of Milwaukee, Makita, and SO. None of them have problems with any of their choices, and it was pretty rare to see air being used.

Either way, I dont think many of these options, even the ~300-450 lb options people have posted will disappoint.

Havoc40

That's exactly what I did with my cordless tools, except I replaced cheaper DeWalt stuff. I have contemplated replacing my used and abused Ingersoll air tools at work...but I just can't bring myself to do it yet!

el_chupo_

If you dont mind, how much did that run you? I looked at a couple SO impacts when I was switching (the M18 stuff isnt cheap when getting started). Just couldnt justify it with the other tools I would use from the M18 line, with battery compatibility, and overall costs. Same thing with the IR, in the end.

And it sounds like that is your living? You working on passenger vehicles, or heavier duty stuff?

Actually using the 1/2" a ton, or mostly using smaller stuff? Friends at the BMW place are usually using 1/4 and 3/8" stuff, rarely pull out the 1/2".

The best for the highest price but you get what you pay for. How do the cordless compare to air impact guns?

New IR air 2235 is claiming over 1300 on their 1/2" gun.

Last edited:

utiadam

LOSER
That's exactly what I did with my cordless tools, except I replaced cheaper DeWalt stuff. I have contemplated replacing my used and abused Ingersoll air tools at work...but I just can't bring myself to do it yet!

I love my ingersoll rand air tools. My titanium 1/2" can usually take off bolts that others can't. I only use air if I have to. I'm pretty much 95% cordless.

Spudcannons

New IR air 2235 is claiming over 1300 on their 1/2" gun.[/QUOTE said:
:eek: That seems like a recipe for broken bolts. I've been debating getting air tools vs cordless but can't decide. What do you have in your collection? I'm going to expand mine considerably now that I finally moving to a house with a garage when every they finish building it....

utiadam

LOSER
:eek: That seems like a recipe for broken bolts. I've been debating getting air tools vs cordless but can't decide. What do you have in your collection? I'm going to expand mine considerably now that I finally moving to a house with a garage when every they finish building it....

Not sure who you're asking but if you're asking me you can see my cordless stuff on post #29

Top Bottom