295/70-17 mxt for sale or trade

SOLD to a fellow wayalifer...
Just bought brand new 295/70-17 mt tires. I really love them but wish i would have bought 35s. Looking for anyone interested in buying my tires or trading for 35s. Mine are courser mxts. Barely 500 miles on them.

Last edited:

kmrtnsn

What gears are you running? 3.21, 3.73, or 4.10? If you're running the first two, I'd keep the tires and give them a chance. I'm running 3.73s and 285/70R17s and love the combination but I tend to drive 4, 5, 600 miles to where I like to wheel or more and spend a lot of time on the highway getting there. I also like to go to areas with higher altitudes and with that comes long up hill grades. I'm finding that my transmission is running well with these and I am not seeing a re-gear needed right now. Down the road, should I find I want/need to go bigger I am sure that a re-gear will go concurrently with the re-tire, just to keep my performance where it is. I find that with my tire size I am still within the "sweet spot" of my power band and gearing but that's me. Personally, I think 295/70R17 is the sweet spot of tire sizes for the JK for the widest possibility of applications (here comes the 32, 33, 35, and 37 mafias with why those sizes are best......) but hear me out. 35" appears to be the size were the leverage of the height and diameter begin to have impact on premature wear of components. Bending axle flanges, early clutch failure, bearings, joints, etc. and on and on, based on the anecdotal evidence of posters and their experiences with the larger sizes. Go bigger than 35 and those wear issues seem to grow exponentially. at 295 your an inch under 315 (35"). Seems like a good place to be to me. Not so large that you're breaking things with tire size yet big enough for obstacle clearance, within the performance envelope of stock gearing. You're essentially getting the benefits of 35"s without the baggage that the size can bring. I'd suggest you run them and see, do you need better gearing? Are they working? You just might find that you chose better with the 295s than you realize.

QRS

What gears are you running? 3.21, 3.73, or 4.10? If you're running the first two, I'd keep the tires and give them a chance. I'm running 3.73s and 285/70R17s and love the combination but I tend to drive 4, 5, 600 miles to where I like to wheel or more and spend a lot of time on the highway getting there. I also like to go to areas with higher altitudes and with that comes long up hill grades. I'm finding that my transmission is running well with these and I am not seeing a re-gear needed right now. Down the road, should I find I want/need to go bigger I am sure that a re-gear will go concurrently with the re-tire, just to keep my performance where it is. I find that with my tire size I am still within the "sweet spot" of my power band and gearing but that's me. Personally, I think 295/70R17 is the sweet spot of tire sizes for the JK for the widest possibility of applications (here comes the 32, 33, 35, and 37 mafias with why those sizes are best......) but hear me out. 35" appears to be the size were the leverage of the height and diameter begin to have impact on premature wear of components. Bending axle flanges, early clutch failure, bearings, joints, etc. and on and on, based on the anecdotal evidence of posters and their experiences with the larger sizes. Go bigger than 35 and those wear issues seem to grow exponentially. at 295 your an inch under 315 (35"). Seems like a good place to be to me. Not so large that you're breaking things with tire size yet big enough for obstacle clearance, within the performance envelope of stock gearing. You're essentially getting the benefits of 35"s without the baggage that the size can bring. I'd suggest you run them and see, do you need better gearing? Are they working? You just might find that you chose better with the 295s than you realize.

Damn, I was in the same boat as mattbeach, regretting the 295s as opposed to the 35s. You just took that idea out of my mind. Thanks!! :D

Man you are completely right as much as i hate to say it. As mucj as id love a huge built up jeep, its not possible or practical at this point. Ive been aiming to hover just below that magical line. You know, that 2.5" lift turns into a 3" and then things really start to get expensive. And yes i have the stock tall gearing. Runs suprisingly well w the 3.6 recalibrated w the flashcal. 35s may just tip the scale though. Thanks for the dose of common sense. Lol

kmrtnsn

When I went to put tires on last month I went round and round with the guy at my tire shop, who insisted that the Cooper ST/Maxx tires that I wanted did not come in a 295 and any other 295 I was interested in weren't available either, so I decided what the hell, I'lll go 285 but then that size ST/Maxx wasn't available at the warehouse....... Arghhh! So, it became a 285 toss-up and I ended up with Hankooks. My only complaint with the 295 is that I wish there was a larger variety of tires in that size to choose from. It could be worse. The 34" 305/70R17 selection pool is even smaller.......

Thelarster

Dang, wish you were closer, I have 35" and think I want go back to 33" - in Mid-Michigan.

Lost a bit of power and got a job where my drive is a bit longer.

Yea im from port huron initially so i know exactly how far you mean. Im afraid id lose a bunch of power w/o regearing from what folks are saying.

Bump. $1,000 for 5 mastercraft mxt 295/70r17 tires on factory jeep wheels. Tires are practically brand new. Will separate if needed.

Edit: ill take reasonable offers

Attachments

• 1424811033409.jpg
    1424811033409.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 1424811044328.jpg
    1424811044328.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

loscann48

Damn, this is the exact tire I'm looking for to put on my factory rims. Too bad your not close. Bump for a good tire upgrade at a good value.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I've been eyeing that size of tire myself. Are they not considered a 34"? Just not ready at the moment. GLWS.

mbrindley11

I like my 295/70-17's, perfect combo with the 6 speed and 3.73 gears. My boss has 315/70/17's on his jeep and they really aren't much bigger. We both had a 2" lift when I took this pic mine is the anvil. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424981628.064779.jpg

Price drop.... $950. I dont mind to drive a little bit to meet somebody in the middle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom