Maximus-3 Winch Plate and Zeon 10S install on 10A/X/HR Bumper

Wardell

Just saw the extra pics with the PowerPlant in there - that thing is HUGE!

IMHO, it really doesn't have the clean look that a centred Zeon winch in there has. If you have the stinger going in front it may not be as noticeable though.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I was just looking that up too. The manual says that's a standard mounting bolt pattern though, so the Maximus 3 mounting bracket itself should probably fit the PowerPlant on it, as long as you trim the bumper to fit around it.

As nice as the MOPAR 10A / X / HR bumper looks, it's not going to be as strong as the LOD or EVO bumpers. They are really heavy duty welded steel, with the stinger welded in. The steel in the MOPAR bumper is thinner. The Maximus 3 stinger looks at least as durable as the MOPAR bumper it's made for, but still not quite as sturdy as a bumper that has the stinger welded on.

If you're thinking about getting air lockers down the road though, I say start building for the way you want your Jeep to be when it's all built and just get an onboard air setup from the start. All told, the price of an ARB compressor and a Zeon winch is comparable to the PowerPlant, and it will save you and extra purchase and some duplication of work later on.
Here is what I'm looking at:
~280 for the winch plate
~365 for the bolt on stinger

EVO 1/4 pounder w/stinger ~$650

But if I get the EVO stinger, then I need the matching sliders, and gotta figure out something to do with the rear bumper, because (I hate to say it) I'm not a HUGE fan of the look of the EVO bumper delete/rear tire carrier combo. This is the reason why the LOD was even considered. Because I like the whole setup (bumper, sliders, rear bumper/tire carrier) but it's a lot more then want I want to spend right out of the gate.

Wardell

I hear ya, upgrading all that can be pricey. By "not as strong," I didn't mean to imply that the MOPAR 10A / X extras won't be good enough to get the job done. Even if you went with the EVO front bumper, I don't think there is any real need to change the rest unless you really don't like the look. If you do, at least you can try to sell your take off parts to make up some of the cost.

I'm more of a mind to keep the 10A / X extras on there and getting things to add on to them. I paid the extra for the special edition package, and I did it both because wanted something more functional start and because I do like that look.

If you're looking for tire carriers that work with the 10A / X bumper, you can either go with the AEV carrier (mounts to the frame through a hole in the bumper), or any of the other designs out there that don't attach to the bumper at all.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I hear ya, upgrading all that can be pricey. By "not as strong," I didn't mean to imply that the MOPAR 10A / X extras won't be good enough to get the job done. Even if you went with the EVO front bumper, I don't think there is any real need to change the rest unless you really don't like the look. If you do, at least you can try to sell your take off parts to make up some of the cost.

I'm more of a mind to keep the 10A / X extras on there and getting things to add on to them. I paid the extra for the special edition package, and I did it both because wanted something more functional start and because I do like that look.

If you're looking for tire carriers that work with the 10A / X bumper, you can either go with the AEV carrier (mounts to the frame through a hole in the bumper), or any of the other designs out there that don't attach to the bumper at all.

I opted for the HardRock package for (I'm not going to lie) the hood. I've Never had good luck with aftermaket body parts/paint matching... its a texture thing to me, not so much the colors not being the same.

I do like the factory steel bumpers, and want to utilize them best I can, but I want the whole jeep to flow, so changing the front bumber = Sliders and rear bumper changes as well. (to me at least)

I have been exploring tire carriers, however i do not like the AEV option, It drives me crazy how is designed to mount the spare off center, it drives me bonkers looking at it. :grayno: maximus-3 also makes a tire carrier for the 10A/X bumper, that allows you to keep the second tow hook, which looks pretty nice, but for the money to utilize the stock components, for less then $200 more i could go aftermarket, plus the BADASS look of the LOD/EVO shorty w/ a welded stinger... I'm likely going to want to take that step eventually anyway, just not this early. (the jeep doesn't even have 1500 miles yet)

Build it once, Build it right I guess.

anyone have a 10A/X rubicon with either a EVO or LOD front bumper? how does the finishing texture compair? does it "flow" well with the rest of the stock components? (Sliders and rear bumper) Ied hate to buy the bumper (for the purpose of installing a winch) then have soar eyes every time i look at the jeep until i get the matching sliders and rear parts (THANKS O.C.J.D.).... Thanks in advance guys :thumb:

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I was just looking that up too. The manual says that's a standard mounting bolt pattern though, so the Maximus 3 mounting bracket itself should probably fit the PowerPlant on it, as long as you trim the bumper to fit around it.

As nice as the MOPAR 10A / X / HR bumper looks, it's not going to be as strong as the LOD or EVO bumpers. They are really heavy duty welded steel, with the stinger welded in. The steel in the MOPAR bumper is thinner. The Maximus 3 stinger looks at least as durable as the MOPAR bumper it's made for, but still not quite as sturdy as a bumper that has the stinger welded on.

If you're thinking about getting air lockers down the road though, I say start building for the way you want your Jeep to be when it's all built and just get an onboard air setup from the start. All told, the price of an ARB compressor and a Zeon winch is comparable to the PowerPlant, and it will save you and extra purchase and some duplication of work later on.

While I agree there are stronger/better bumpers, your assertion that the 10A bumper isn't that strong or sturdy I disagree with - its plenty sturdy and strong. Could you have a heavier and stronger bumper? of course, but I just want to put it out there that it's going to hold up to 95% of anything that anyone here is going to throw at it.

I'm planning on getting something else later, but it's a more than capable bumper for the interim and it's mountains better than a stocker.

Wardell

While I agree there are stronger/better bumpers, your assertion that the 10A bumper isn't that strong or sturdy I disagree with - its plenty sturdy and strong. Could you have a heavier and stronger bumper? of course, but I just want to put it out there that it's going to hold up to 95% of anything that anyone here is going to throw at it.

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking strictly in comparison to the EVO and LOD bumpers there to answer DWiggles' question. In my follow up post I was trying to make the same point, and I agree with you 100%:

... By "not as strong," I didn't mean to imply that the MOPAR 10A / X extras won't be good enough to get the job done. ...

Last edited:

Tuna JK

Preparing to Install the same Zeon 10s with Maximus-3 setup

My Zeon 10s and Maximus-3 package arrived today! I also gotten same license plate mounting kit. Thanks for posting the great pix and all of the comments! I'm looking forward to completing the install.

RTillery

I just helped my Buddy put his Zeon 10s in last week. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you OP for the pics you posted. After trying to figure things out with the Maximus directions, I got my laptop out and opened up this thread. It helped a lot! We wound up moving the 4 backing plates on the frame to the front as spacers, and we drilled two 3/4" holes in the bottom of the bumper to access the front winch hold down bolts. Worked great. My Hard Rock should be here in a couple of weeks and it should be a piece of cake now that I am a "practiced professional" Maximus-Zeon installer. (now where did I put those hole saws?)

Andy5160

Hooked
Nice write up i have the same bumper and went with Maximus winch plate and the license plate bracket.There was no need to relocate the pump since i am ruing smittybilt x2o winch
my license plate bracket however is different and is located below the fairlead. So far did not have any issues with clearance on the trail.

atomicdog

Great thread OP! I installed mine today but I'll tell you I'm having a rough time getting the bottom inside nut on the driver side stud. Any advice on this would be great. Maybe i need to do more trimming on the factory vac pump mount and try it again. Hope to finish it up tomorrow. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CharlesC

Getting real close to pulling the trigger on this same plate, but not sure yet on winch brand and weight stamp. Thanks for the write up OP, I will be revisiting this very soon on my install🥃cheers!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I'm about to do this exact install, and I can't thank you enough for your write-up with pics! It will make the install a lot easier.

You're welcome! I'm still rocking this setup and it still is great.

Nice write up i have the same bumper and went with Maximus winch plate and the license plate bracket.There was no need to relocate the pump since i am ruing smittybilt x2o winch
my license plate bracket however is different and is located below the fairlead. So far did not have any issues with clearance on the trail.

I've banged mine quite a bit as its removable and I never remember to remove it.

Great thread OP! I installed mine today but I'll tell you I'm having a rough time getting the bottom inside nut on the driver side stud. Any advice on this would be great. Maybe i need to do more trimming on the factory vac pump mount and try it again. Hope to finish it up tomorrow. Thanks for any advice.

I had trouble with a few as well, just hang in there and you'll get it. A few tools were thrown during my install.

Getting real close to pulling the trigger on this same plate, but not sure yet on winch brand and weight stamp. Thanks for the write up OP, I will be revisiting this very soon on my install🥃cheers!

Thanks!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I just helped my Buddy put his Zeon 10s in last week. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you OP for the pics you posted. After trying to figure things out with the Maximus directions, I got my laptop out and opened up this thread. It helped a lot! We wound up moving the 4 backing plates on the frame to the front as spacers, and we drilled two 3/4" holes in the bottom of the bumper to access the front winch hold down bolts. Worked great. My Hard Rock should be here in a couple of weeks and it should be a piece of cake now that I am a "practiced professional" Maximus-Zeon installer. (now where did I put those hole saws?)

Glad I helped!

atomicdog

You're welcome! I'm still rocking this setup and it still is great.

I've banged mine quite a bit as its removable and I never remember to remove it.

I had trouble with a few as well, just hang in there and you'll get it. A few tools were thrown during my install.

Thanks!

Update. After saying a lot of choice words I took it to my brothers shop and let him take a look at the bottom inside bolts. He had them on in 15-20 min. Here are the tools he used and did this from the top. He did not crawl under the Jeep. IMG_3307.jpg IMG_3309.jpg
I guess when you do this everyday, it's easy. DAMN!!!

Top Bottom