Trail essentials- What tools to Carry Offroad

Alright everybody, as im new to the world of wheeling jeeps, i thought it would be cool to hear what you all take with you on trips as "must have" items, gear, tools. Whatever. Sorry if this is already posted, if it is i couldnt find it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a thread that should help you out with recovery essentials.

As far as tools go, I pretty much carry everything I would need to work on my Jeep as well as most JK's and that includes a welder. It's a TON of tools but, I have used them countless times. Granted, I not everyone needs to carry this much stuff and so long as you have basic tools and the 5 essentials (BFH, pry bar, zip ties, duct tape and a heavy duty ratchet strap), you should have enough to get you off the trail :D

Water and snacks just in case you're going to be out for a while is a good idea too as well as something warm. I literally could go on and on but this should be enough to get you going.

Last edited:

Sully G

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2953-RECOVERY-GEAR-A-Must-Have-Before-Hitting-the-Trails

As far as tools go, I pretty much carry everything I would need to work on my Jeep as well as most JK's and that includes a welder. It's a TON of tools but, I have used them countless times. Granted, I not everyone needs to carry this much stuff and so long as you have basic tools and the 5 essentials (BFH, pry bar, zip ties, duct tape and a heavy duty ratchet strap), you should have enough to get you off the trail :D

Water and snacks just in case you're going to be out for a while is a good idea too as well as something warm. I literally could go on and on but this should be enough to get you going.

Couldn't agree more with the above list of materials. To add to that list would be a tow strap, shovel, and a case of water. Oh, don't forget the toilet paper unless you want to wipe your ass with a cactus.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2953-RECOVERY-GEAR-A-Must-Have-Before-Hitting-the-Trails

Thats a great start, and thanks for the link. Better safe than sorry. BFH = big effin hammer? Lol

Couldn't agree more with the above list of materials. To add to that list would be a tow strap, shovel, and a case of water. Oh, don't forget the toilet paper unless you want to wipe your ass with a cactus.

Hilarious but true. Im no cactus fan. Or pinecone in these parts...

thardy

Banned
There's one thing I never forget to bring with me and that's my trusty Milwaukee impact. If I have to change a tire on the trail, I damn sure am not using a lug wrench.

SaddleTramp

Trail essentials

Get under your rig and see what you need in the way of tools and parts specific to what you have.

Example: some of the aftermarket driveshafts use fasteners that require 12 point wrench/socket (or some really good vise grips, ;-)) to remove in the event of failure, 18mm for brake calipers, etc...

Depending on what's still OEM and what parts you've added and modified will impact what you will want to and need to carry to be able to work on it. Of course always good to have a trail buddy that's at least carrying what you don't too.

Last edited:

GENREC

Must Have Tool And Sockets To Carry

Can I get list of the must have socket sizes and other tools a jeeper should carry with him/her at all times.

NV375

I have been compiling a list by reading the how-to and install threads. Some of what you may need can vary depending on what mods your rig has. Also some special tools will be useless to you if you don't know how to do the job they are for.

Shamrocked

Best thing I have found is that if I uses tool or particular size wrench while working on the jeep in the garage then it goes in the tool bag in the jeep. Has not let me down yet.

Wardell

I haven't seen a list like this with specific sizes, but if you get a basic set of sockets, wrenches and screwdriver bits, it should give you a good start. Make sure you get torx bits, since the Jeep has a bunch of those. IIRC, you need a T30 & T40 to switch between the hard top & soft top, and a T50 for the doors.

Also, a torque wrench could come in handy as well. There is a chart for all the torque specs for different bolts in the JK FAQ. It's worth printing off, laminating and keeping in your tool kit.

Edit: I found this list of suggested tools for the Mopar Career Automotive Program. Looks to be way more than you would need to carry around in the back of the Jeep (which is the only reason I didn't copy and paste it over), but it could make a good discussion starting point to make a thinned down, JK specific list. http://www.moparcap.com/students/toollist.html

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Torque wrench
21mm wrench and socket
18mm wrench and sockets
35 and 36mm sockets

Those are the odd ball sizes I would get. Otherwise basic metric sockets and wrenches will be fine.

I would make sure you have two each of 13mm, 15mm and 18mm. Those are common sizes.

Torque wrench
21mm wrench and socket
18mm wrench and sockets
35 and 36mm sockets

Those are the odd ball sizes I would get. Otherwise basic metric sockets and wrenches will be fine.

I would make sure you have two each of 13mm, 15mm and 18mm. Those are common sizes.

Since im newer to this, im gonna ask....what are the 35 & 36mm for?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There are a lot of other tools you should carry but those are some of the odd ball ones. If you need a more common tool most people would have it.

Not saying you shouldn't be self sufficient, just that those pieces don't normally come in standard sets.

Wardell

A few more things I thought of:

- Tire pressure gauge. Not the kind with the slide that that gets pushed out, since they aren't very accurate. You want one with a dial and needle. Sure, your TPMS can let you know when the tire is low, and on the newer vehicles it can even tell you the exact pressure reading, but that doesn't update quickly and it's pretty useless while you're trying to air up or air down. Most gas station air pumps I've come across don't have a gauge either.

- Tire deflators. You can buy one, or you can make them (there was a thread on here for DIY deflators). If you are going to buy, the ARB or Currie deflators are nice since they have a built in gauge (killing two birds with one stone) and they unscrew your valve stem to let out the air fairly quickly.

- Tire repair kit. If you have a really bad day because you've had two flats on the same trail, this could be the difference between getting off the trail or hiking out.

While we're at it, what about other spare parts that may be needed on the trail? Drive train components like Spare U-Joints, axle shafts and drive shafts are the ones I've most commonly heard of being needed. Any others anyone would recommend?

Rebel JK

What shamrocked and overlander said^^^. Next time you do a thorough re torque on the steering, trackbars and suspension you have a good list right there. Ive Needed to stop and tighten trackbar on the way home from runs numerous times. I also usually throw in an assortment of nuts, bolts and of course duct tape.

As you add things to your rig you will start to have a mix of Metric and SAE bolts - I carry a set of wrenches and small bag of sockets now for each. When I work on my jeep or install something new I use my "Jeep Tools" (the tools kept in the jeep). If I need to go to the tool chest in the garage for anything I then add that tool to the jeep tools. :beer:

Top Bottom