Close

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    I haven't seen a list like this with specific sizes, but if you get a basic set of sockets, wrenches and screwdriver bits, it should give you a good start. Make sure you get torx bits, since the Jeep has a bunch of those. IIRC, you need a T30 & T40 to switch between the hard top & soft top, and a T50 for the doors.

Also, a torque wrench could come in handy as well. There is a chart for all the torque specs for different bolts in the JK FAQ. It's worth printing off, laminating and keeping in your tool kit.

Edit: I found this list of suggested tools for the Mopar Career Automotive Program. Looks to be way more than you would need to carry around in the back of the Jeep (which is the only reason I didn't copy and paste it over), but it could make a good discussion starting point to make a thinned down, JK specific list. http://www.moparcap.com/students/toollist.html
    Last edited by Wardell; 01-25-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Torque wrench
    21mm wrench and socket
    18mm wrench and sockets
    35 and 36mm sockets

Those are the odd ball sizes I would get. Otherwise basic metric sockets and wrenches will be fine.

I would make sure you have two each of 13mm, 15mm and 18mm. Those are common sizes.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler

-
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Torque wrench
    21mm wrench and socket
    18mm wrench and sockets
    35 and 36mm sockets

Those are the odd ball sizes I would get. Otherwise basic metric sockets and wrenches will be fine.

I would make sure you have two each of 13mm, 15mm and 18mm. Those are common sizes.
    Since im newer to this, im gonna ask....what are the 35 & 36mm for?

Quote Originally Posted by MedixJK View Post
    Since im newer to this, im gonna ask....what are the 35 & 36mm for?
    Axle shafts and pinion nut.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler

-
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Axle shafts and pinion nut.
    Gotcha. Thank you. I figured it was a drive train part somewhere. Most helpful to know.

There are a lot of other tools you should carry but those are some of the odd ball ones. If you need a more common tool most people would have it.

Not saying you shouldn't be self sufficient, just that those pieces don't normally come in standard sets.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    A few more things I thought of:

- Tire pressure gauge. Not the kind with the slide that that gets pushed out, since they aren't very accurate. You want one with a dial and needle. Sure, your TPMS can let you know when the tire is low, and on the newer vehicles it can even tell you the exact pressure reading, but that doesn't update quickly and it's pretty useless while you're trying to air up or air down. Most gas station air pumps I've come across don't have a gauge either.

- Tire deflators. You can buy one, or you can make them (there was a thread on here for DIY deflators). If you are going to buy, the ARB or Currie deflators are nice since they have a built in gauge (killing two birds with one stone) and they unscrew your valve stem to let out the air fairly quickly.

- Tire repair kit. If you have a really bad day because you've had two flats on the same trail, this could be the difference between getting off the trail or hiking out.

While we're at it, what about other spare parts that may be needed on the trail? Drive train components like Spare U-Joints, axle shafts and drive shafts are the ones I've most commonly heard of being needed. Any others anyone would recommend?

What shamrocked and overlander said^^^. Next time you do a thorough re torque on the steering, trackbars and suspension you have a good list right there. Ive Needed to stop and tighten trackbar on the way home from runs numerous times. I also usually throw in an assortment of nuts, bolts and of course duct tape.

-
    As you add things to your rig you will start to have a mix of Metric and SAE bolts - I carry a set of wrenches and small bag of sockets now for each. When I work on my jeep or install something new I use my "Jeep Tools" (the tools kept in the jeep). If I need to go to the tool chest in the garage for anything I then add that tool to the jeep tools.

33mm socket or open end wrench and a new sector shaft.