BFG All Terrain T/A vs. Goodyear Duratrac

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I just moved to the Goodyears and could be happier. My KOs made way more road noise than the Goodyears. I will find out how they do on long hauls here soon enough. :D:D:D:D

The new ones are supposed to be improved, but unless someone gets them for free, no one wants to be the guinea pig with their own money.

Homestead

I know this is my first post but living Alberta, I can say I have experience with Goodyear Duratrac's. Best tire I have ever used and currently run them on all 4 of my vehicles.
If you do the chalk line test across the tread and get your pressures right,rotate them regularly and you will get some excellent mileage out them. The last set I replaced went 86,000 miles. Those were on a Cummins Dodge Ram 4x4 that ran highway and off pavement here at the farm. Zero flats, zero anything. I would actually still be running them but felt it was safer to replace given they were getting down to the wear bars. Get the pressures right and they will wear nice and flat.
For snow and ice they are unstoppable as far as I am concerned. A lot of times where you feel that 4wd is needed, you can easily get by in 2wd, 4wd really only giving you that extra edge.
I have run the older BF's over the years and honestly nothing wrong with them at all, I just couldn't get any mileage out of them.
The oil guys and hot shot truckers swear by the Duratrac's so something can't be to wrong with them.
Jeff

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I know this is my first post but living Alberta, I can say I have experience with Goodyear Duratrac's. Best tire I have ever used and currently run them on all 4 of my vehicles.
If you do the chalk line test across the tread and get your pressures right,rotate them regularly and you will get some excellent mileage out them. The last set I replaced went 86,000 miles. Those were on a Cummins Dodge Ram 4x4 that ran highway and off pavement here at the farm. Zero flats, zero anything. I would actually still be running them but felt it was safer to replace given they were getting down to the wear bars. Get the pressures right and they will wear nice and flat.
For snow and ice they are unstoppable as far as I am concerned. A lot of times where you feel that 4wd is needed, you can easily get by in 2wd, 4wd really only giving you that extra edge.
I have run the older BF's over the years and honestly nothing wrong with them at all, I just couldn't get any mileage out of them.
The oil guys and hot shot truckers swear by the Duratrac's so something can't be to wrong with them.
Jeff

If you see a pattern, anyone that lives in snowy climates praises the Duratracs to high heaven (and rightfully so.) They are the best tire for winter before you get into the dedicated snow tires. The OP lives in southern california, where the only snow they see is powdered from Colombia. It takes away the Duratrac's biggest advantage, but I still maintain, they are a seriously aggressive AT tire that does EVERYTHING very well. There might be tires out there that do a particular thing better, but I have taken mine through mud, sand, snow, rock, ice, gravel, leaves, etc and they have never disappointed me. The fact that they are light is a welcome bonus. I'd say in about 6 months to a year you will see reviews all over 4x4 forums on the KO2s and the Nitto Exo's, so right now, the Duratracs are the best, but you can be a guinea pig and try the competitors, which MAY be better.

Homestead

Every tire no matter the brand or tread will have pros and cons to go with it. Every situation and climate is the same way when it comes to tires, pros and cons. My next door neighbour thinks the Duratrac is a waste of money tire wise and swears by Michelin LTX's. Fine by me, his choice, but I will admit silently smiling the few times a year I have to pull him out of the ditch heading into his house.
The best tire that works for you is exactly that, the best tire.
After reading my original post, I should clarify that I replaced the set because winter was coming otherwise there was more than enough tread for a summer's use of driving That I do with that particular truck.
Jeff

JLSilerJK

Sully- you make a decision? I still have the Duellers that come on the 18's. I'm leaning towards duratracs because my area's harsh winter but saw KO's on a Hummer at work-they look aggressive... I'm wondering what has better results in the Midwestern mud if anyone runs them out here?

jmatta33

View attachment 114587 View attachment 114588

Tell me which of these tires you would choose to put on your Jeep.

Thanks for your input.

I have the BFG All Terrain T/A on my Jeep (35x12.5x17) and I am very happy with them. They are no louder than stock tires and the grip isnt half bad. I havent done any serious rock crawling or anything but on some moderate trails, they performed very well. I cant speak for the other tires though as I have no experience with them.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I have the BFG All Terrain T/A on my Jeep (35x12.5x17) and I am very happy with them. They are no louder than stock tires and the grip isnt half bad. I havent done any serious rock crawling or anything but on some moderate trails, they performed very well. I cant speak for the other tires though as I have no experience with them.

Did you happen to do the Daniel trail when you were at Uwharrie?

jmatta33

Did you happen to do the Daniel trail when you were at Uwharrie?

Thats the only trail I didnt go on. Im running stock rubi shocks/springs, no lockers, no regear, on 35" tires, and stock sport axles. I didnt want to risk breaking anything so I didnt hit daniel. Im not sure how rough it is, but it was listed as the most difficult so I didnt try. I did however go up the Dickey Bell trail and I took the uphill route. minimal tire slipping and I did NOT air down at all. the only issues I had were with axle and body clearence, tires did great. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418831541.812786.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418831624.343700.jpg

the tread on the sides a little different so my tires may be the old version. If the new ones work better than these, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them for a DD/part time trail rig.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thats the only trail I didnt go on. Im running stock rubi shocks/springs, no lockers, no regear, on 35" tires, and stock sport axles. I didnt want to risk breaking anything so I didnt hit daniel. Im not sure how rough it is, but it was listed as the most difficult so I didnt try. I did however go up the Dickey Bell trail and I took the uphill route. minimal tire slipping and I did NOT air down at all. the only issues I had were with axle and body clearence, tires did great. the tread on the sides a little different so my tires may be the old version. If the new ones work better than these, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them for a DD/part time trail rig.

Sweet, thanks for the feed back. Last time I was down there my friend and I did all the trails except for the front of Daniel. At the time, mine was a completely stock Rubi. I'm still shopping around for tires, so it is great to hear a review from someone that has done the same trails I will do. I just can't decide on 37s or 35s. I change my mine every other day lol!

P.S. Let me know if you plan on going back to Uwharrie, I would like to join you. :thumb:

jmatta33

Sweet, thanks for the feed back. Last time I was down there my friend and I did all the trails except for the front of Daniel. At the time, mine was a completely stock Rubi. I'm still shopping around for tires, so it is great to hear a review from someone that has done the same trails I will do. I just can't decide on 37s or 35s. I change my mine every other day lol!

P.S. Let me know if you plan on going back to Uwharrie, I would like to join you. :thumb:

yup no problem. I got these tires brand new off an AEV for half price so I couldnt pass them up. I plan to go at least 37" after I do an axle upgrade, but for now the 35" ar plenty big enough. If you are running stock rubi axles, you may be able to get away with 37's for a little while, but if you start getting into rough stuff and start bouncing around on rocks, you will more than likely end up breaking them. I'd be going back in the very near future if they werent closed for the winter :( If im around this summer I'll post up any trips out there I plan to take!

xkid

I have heard of some duratracts being hard to balance.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Silver Surfer

I love Goodyear tires But I do not like the Duratrac Line. I never had them on a Jeep only on a 90 Toyo PU In the Seattle area Snow and Ice Season all one to 2 weeks a year combined. I had better luck getting up hills in my dodge journey 2wd vehicle with AT's then I did with Duratracs. I would be all over the road with them. At first I did not have weight in the back of my truck and tires would just spin. Then I added weight to the back it got better but not Great by any means. Duratracs are a Quiet tire, But I do not care about how loud a tire is only how well it performs. They did perform okay in mud when I wheeled my truck up there. I did get stuck once and had to put in 4wd to get out of mud and grass that was maybe 3 foot long and 3 inches deep turning around because my wife was scared.

I never used KO's nor the new models I will however give the new ones a try.

I now live in San Diego Area and I went with MT's because, I will see more mud than I will Snow and Ice.

Sully G

Silver Surfer in San Diego, go figure. I live up in Poway, CA. Let me know if you want to head out sometime. I am fairly new to Jeepin' as I have only owned a Jeep for a year, but have been on several trails in San Diego and Anza Borrego Desert. Message me anytime.

sunnysideup

Love my duratracks! got 76,000 on them... had them on trails all over CO., Moab, Wyoming, and Montana.... Snow, Mud, ICE, Rock, Dirt, Gravel, In rivers... they are the best all around tire I have owned.

I will be trying out the NEW KO2's when the size I need comes out. Because I loved my old BFG's too... and I'm willing to give them a try.
BUT... I also got drawn in the Rocks to riches contest on the other forum and I get a free set of 4 tires:eek: (I actually am ashamed to say... I'm getting pretty old now and have never been drawn in a drawing before! A record in the early 80's I think was my last win! ) So it was a Christmas surprize! But I don't think any of the 35 sized ties are out until March...

I will be able to compare them in all types of conditions and compare the two tires.... I must say the sidewall strength looks really tough on the KO2's.... and was/is a concern for some on the duratracs... but mine never failed me. the Ko2's will have a tough tire to beat!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have the duratracs, awsome in snow and ice, but i dont care for them as much off road due to the weak sidewall. By the warranty if you do get them. Ive got a nail in my side wall and been waiting since October for one to come in which is bs imo.

I never had an issue with their sidewalls, but I guess I don't wheel as hard as some. I've wheeled with them in Colorado and Utah without issue. Have you ever punctured one?

keno4x4

I run the Goodyear Duratracs and have not had a problem. I ran over a piece of road trash in the city got the tire replaced in two weeks. Like the way they handle off-road and the way they drive on the street, no problems with the sidewall

Top Bottom