New Poison Spyder Tire Carrier

SFNick

Its cold and I'm a bitch so this is all you get. View attachment 115383 View attachment 115384 View attachment 115385 View attachment 115386
I have to push down about a whopping 1/8" to close it. If it's three inches off it needs to be adjusted.

Well shit! I've adjusted mine a million times & can't get it that high. I stand corrected. I've started a thread on this before. I guess it's all about the initial setup like Piginajeep stated at the end of the other thread that I've put a link to. Which I just saw.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15379-Evo-Tire-Carrier-Adjustment

Last edited:

wwood

It appears you are more interested in arguing your point than learning.

I was having a discussion, you started an argument by asserting an incorrect opinion not supported by facts. :)
I presented pics, facts and questions to explain why the passenger side of the Genright carrier carries 100% of the weight most of the time and most of the weight all of the time.

This is good, you have been told this several times, although I'm not sure it's sinking in.

Sorry but I don't accept opinions not supported by facts and logic.

I have no hard feelings either, but if it's okay to disagree why keep trying to sell your inaccurate views?

It's ok for you to disagree but then you slammed me and dodged my questions compelling a response. :)

I have said my piece about the PSC carrier and will no longer be participating in this thread derail.

Oh, now that you brand me as an idiot, you are taking your ball and going home? :)

OK, here are the plain facts:

1) Jeep at rest, Genright carrier closed.... there is ZERO weight on the driver's side latch plate, 100% of the weight is held by the passenger side hinges.

Your statement and I quote: " When the carrier is closed, the load is supported 50/50" is simply wrong.

I looked at your profile and see that, amazingly, we have the same Jeeps: 2013 JKUR, Billet, Manual, Alum Genright Carrier. You can see what I say is correct for yourself. Assuming you have the carrier adjusted properly the driver's side carrier arms will slide directly into the driver's side latch plate with one finger, no lifting up or pushing down. The act of closing the carrier, changes nothing - 100% of the weight is on the passenger side hinges just before the carrier is closed and 100% of the weight is still on the passenger side hinges when fully closed. Anybody can look at the pics I posted earlier and see this.

When the carrier is closed, the driver's side latch plate pockets restrain the driver's side carrier arms from moving in/out and up/dn - but ZERO weight is transferred from the passenger side to the driver's side (how could weight be transferred, there is no mechanism to cause a transfer). The purpose of the driver's side latch plate is primarily to control the flex in the carrier arm system by preventing the driver's side carrier arms from moving in/out or up/dn, it acts as a restraint not as an equal weight bearing member.

2) Jeep in motion on ordinary flat roads......the situation is the same as when the Jeep is at rest. ZERO weight is carried by the driver's side, 100% is carried by the passenger side. This is the intended design of the Genright carrier system. This is accomplished by using the well reinforced factory passenger side hinge mounts. The factory hinge mounts are very strong and fully capable of handling 100% of the weight of a swing out carrier and a really big wheel/tire. This also explains why Genright provides heavy duty steel passenger side hinges to hold the carrier and why the hinges allow adjustment to level the carrier so it wil close into the driver's side latch plate with no lifting thereby transferring zero weight to the driver's side.

3) Jeep in motion over bumps (offroad stuff).......situation the same except now system flex is in play. If you push the carrier arms up to the driver's side latch plate (not touching) as in my first pic earlier in this thread and then lift up or push down on the carrier arms they will move a few inches either way - this is system flex. If you now fully close the carrier arms into the driver's side latch plate, that flex is controlled, restrained. The carrier arms cannot move because the latch plate prevents movement. But the flex in the system still exists and will transfer some weight to the driver's side latch plate when the Jeep is driven over offroad terrain, rock crawling etc. How much weight is transferred? Who knows? Maybe Genright's design engineers have the math to compute it, I sure don't. But whatever weight is transferred is minimal and only transferred momentarily by the bump impact. It is certainly not a 50/50 design. The proof is Genright designed the passenger side to be MUCH stronger than the driver's side:

Passenger side: heavy duty reinforced factory designed and threaded hinge mounts, Genright designed heavy duty hardened steel hinges secured with heavy duty factory mounting bolts
Driver's side: light duty aluminum latch plate, light duty 1/4" bolts, mounting holes drilled in completely unreinforced thin Jeep sheetmetal

Please note: I am not saying anything negative about Genright's design of the driver's side latch plate. The latch plate works perfectly and is plenty strong enough to do the job it was designed for. I love the Genright carrier and believe the design is brilliant, it certainly works perfectly for me and I have never heard or read of any strength or other issues.

And to conclude, there is nothing odd or unusual about a tire carrier designed to hold 100% of the weight from the passenger side. For example, the factory tire carrier puts all the weight on the passenger side hinges. Obviously, that is why the factory heavily reinforced the passenger side hinge mounts. And PSC's swing out bumper mount tire carrier (RockBrawler II) also carries all the weight from the passenger side pivot.

Definitely no hard feelings here. But I do think friendly discussion is good for everybody and it certainly helps me learn more. I like knowing how things work and the more we know helps all of us make better decisions about the stuff we run on our Jeeps.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Definitely some interesting points brought up in this thread. I learned the EVO carrier can be adjusted for easier closing...that eliminated my only concern regarding it. GenRight has a new version of their carrier that has an additional two mounting points on the bumper and it swings down. Doesn't seem practical on a daily usage but I like the idea of having the two tubes there to drop on to and slide if the situation were to present itself. Instead of dropping on to the tire.

sjd78

No. A properly set up EVO carrier does not require that much lift to set the driver's side. It's all about properly setting the preload, and I can assure you that your wife would have no problem closing the carrier with a 37" tire if the install and preload are done correctly.

Thank You! That is exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the info!

Top Bottom