2014 metal cloak 3.5 lifted rubicon tilted towards passenger side after off roading

Jkandfreedom

Has anyone expieranced the passenger side of the jeep bing lower than the driver side after off-roading, looking from the rear of the jeep?

It was perfectly leveled before I went off roading.

The "off kilter" is driving me crazy!

I've lifted the passenger side using a hi-lift jack to fully droop the suspension to see if there was any binding or the spring perch being out of place, no change.

The difference between the drivers side and the passenger side is approximately 1".

The only conclusion I can come up with is the passenger side spring has failed, but after doing some searching online, the sagging on the passenger side is rather common, mostly attributed to the gas rank being on the passenger side, which I don't buy.

Any thought? Anyone?

Last edited:

JKALLTHEWAY

I have a 2014 Jk with a 3.5" lift and it's doing the same thing, I've put 3 different styles of Springs on and still an inch low on the passenger side. They still give me the B.S. About the Gas tank. Someone needs to come up with a solution! It's not about the money we just want our Jeep right without All the B.S.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coloradan

My 2014 has the same gangsta lean. I've always figured you could put a 1" spacer on the passenger springs if it bugs you, but I've learned to live with it.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
OP, what length bump stops do you have? If you do not have bump stops equal to the hight of your lift, you may have over compressed your springs while you were articulating.

Jkandfreedom

I have 3" bump stops, metal coak provides 1" stacks and no 1/2", so I installed 3 1" stacks.

I have also installed the same lift kit on my brothers 2014 Sahara, we went on the same trail , and his jeep is level.

bmwegr

Check to make sure your springs are clocked right on the axle end. In this case, if the drivers side spring is not correctly seated in the lower spring perch it could raise the Jeep on the drivers side by at least a 1/2 in and could contribute the gangsta lean even more.

Jkandfreedom

From what I'm seeing on the bolgs, there are 3 options to correct the "kilter", aside from calling metal cloak in my case which I will be doing first thing tomorrow, because I suspect the coils have failed.

1) install spacers for the passenger rear and front (lower suspension side, not the lower spring perch), very getto, not really into permenat jerry rigging, only acceptable in emergencies!

2) install a JKS ACOS, $385 for the rears, $250 for the fronts. I would get this set up if I didn't have an expensive lift kit that could just about handle anything.if the lift kit that I have was a really crappy one then I could justify the purchase of the JKS adjustable coil over system.

3) go king coil overs all the way around$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll post what I hear from metal coak but metal cloak seemed to be a reputable company so my experience with them should be positive, I hope?

Last edited:

Jkandfreedom

Check to make sure your springs are clocked right on the axle end. In this case, if the drivers side spring is not correctly seated in the lower spring perch it could raise the Jeep on the drivers side by at least a 1/2 in and could contribute the gangsta lean even more.

I checked everything, even disconnect the sway bar link, the shocks, then I lifted both sides using a hi-lift jack to drooped the suspension to check the upper spring perches. Nothing, the only conclusion that I can come up with is the passenger side spring has become over compressed and it's now shorter than the drivers side.

It's really strange, we had 2 jeeps with identical metal cloak 3.5 kit, went on the same trails in PA so the trails were no where close to anthing in the west coast, it was pretty much laughable for you guys on the west coast!

Really strange.

Last edited:

Rccrwlr

I checked everything, even disconnect the sway bar link, the shocks, then I lifted both sides using a hi-lift jack to drooped the suspension to check the upper spring perches. Nothing, the only conclusion that I can come up with is the passenger side spring has become over compressed and it's now shorter than the drivers side.

It's really strange, we had 2 jeeps with identical metal cloak 3.5 kit, went on the same trails in PA so the trails were now where close to anthing in the west coast, it was pretty much laughable for you guys on the west coast!

Really strange.

Swap the springs passenger to driver and see if the tilt switches sides

Jkandfreedom

My 2014 has the same gangsta lean. I've always figured you could put a 1" spacer on the passenger springs if it bugs you, but I've learned to live with it.

I don't know how you can live with it, I just can't deal with stuff being incorrect or off, just isn't my thing.

Jkandfreedom

I have a 2014 Jk with a 3.5" lift and it's doing the same thing, I've put 3 different styles of Springs on and still an inch low on the passenger side. They still give me the B.S. About the Gas tank. Someone needs to come up with a solution! It's not about the money we just want our Jeep right without All the B.S.

What brand of lift kit did you start with?

Jkandfreedom

Swap the springs passenger to driver and see if the tilt switches sides

I may end up having to do that just to compare the height of the springs to document my findings, also to send to metal cloak In case they give me some problems.

My problem with changing springs from one side to the other is, I have to put it all together to find there is no change. also, there was some on the blog that has done that and the result was the same, but each case is a diffrent story.

Last edited:

Rccrwlr

I may end up having to do that just to compare the height of the springs to document my findings, also to send to metal cloak In case they give me some problems.

My problem with changing springs from one side to the other is, I have to put it all together to find there is no change. also, there was some on the blog that has done that and the result was the same, but each case is a diffrent story.

Ya sucks but if you think you over compressed a spring it would show. Even just taking out the springs and measuring. A lot of JK's have a natural lean to the pass side from the factory. With the gas tank and all being on that side

JKALLTHEWAY

Started with the Rubicon express (because I didn't know any better) than switch to the Rockcrawler 4" with the currie anti rock sway bar, it's Still about 3/4 low. I'm an inspector for a living so it drives me crazy seeing it lean.

Rccrwlr

Started with the Rubicon express (because I didn't know any better) than switch to the Rockcrawler 4" with the currie anti rock sway bar, it's Still about 3/4 low. I'm an inspector for a living so it drives me crazy seeing it lean.

It's alright to lean
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418882159.328421.jpg .

Wardell

... but metal cloak seemed to be a reputable company ...

You should take a look at the "Metal Joke" memes in the meme thread. There are a few of them in there.

But seriously, I hope you are able to get something sorted out with them. A lift shouldn't give your JK such a noticeable lean.

Worse case, have you thought about installing a second gas tank on the driver's side to even things out? lol

I have used Metalcloak, Synergy, EVO Plush Ride, Rock Krawler, and Teraflex. ALL have had a slight passenger side lean. The biggest thing I have found to correct for this is to make sure the track bars are tightened with the Jeep on the ground and with the suspension free from bind. Then, if that doesn't help (enough) you can adjust the rear sway links to help offset the lean.

I was able to remove it near completely on our 2-door (Synergy coils) and within a 1/4" on our 4-door (Metalcloak coils).

The worst coils for this I have seen are the Rock Krawler. I'm not saying this is always the case but it is what I have experienced.

Jkandfreedom

Ya sucks but if you think you over compressed a spring it would show. Even just taking out the springs and measuring. A lot of JK's have a natural lean to the pass side from the factory. With the gas tank and all being on that side

This is only my opinion but I really cannot buy the theory of the gas tank being on the passenger side causing the lean. If you apply that theory to a 1/2 ton pickup the truck should'nt most trucks lean toward the passenger, they have much bigger gas tanks they should lean even more?

Engineering wise I just don't think they would build vehicle to lean to one side, a full gas tank only weighs 150lbs max.

Jkandfreedom

I would have to think the engineers would have factored in the weight of a full tank of gas when they design the springs/jeep, wouldn't you agree?

The gas tank theory just spent hold water or gas I should say in this case.

Top Bottom