What’s in your Rubicon ready Jeep?

We are planning to make the voyage and tick one off the bucket list this year by doing the Rubicon trail. Like an excited 5 year old waiting on Santa Christmas Eve, I research the web in preparation. One thing that has become abundantly clear is that the gear for the trail is different than I am used to.

Out east a trail day is just that, a day. Even when there is more than one day, you are usually in the camp ground (or in our case a hotel) in between days. Compound this with some rules I am unused to (possibly no fires, and no burying the previous days meal), and all the sudden I’m overwhelmed with what to pack and where it will fit in the Jeep.

So I ask of those who have wheeled in the area and know the Rubicon. (said in the Capital One commercial voice) What’s in your Jeep?

Rccrwlr

We are planning to make the voyage and tick one off the bucket list this year by doing the Rubicon trail. Like an excited 5 year old waiting on Santa Christmas Eve, I research the web in preparation. One thing that has become abundantly clear is that the gear for the trail is different than I am used to.

Out east a trail day is just that, a day. Even when there is more than one day, you are usually in the camp ground (or in our case a hotel) in between days. Compound this with some rules I am unused to (possibly no fires, and no burying the previous days meal), and all the sudden I’m overwhelmed with what to pack and where it will fit in the Jeep.

So I ask of those who have wheeled in the area and know the Rubicon. (said in the Capital One commercial voice) What’s in your Jeep?

There are several threads that organized runs on the rubicon and they have a bunch of information. If you don't small search there is a good amount on this forum.

For our trip we brought the norm
Water
Food
Camping gear
Sleeping gear

And then there are the tools
Wrenches
Sockets
Etc
Recovery gear

Will be adding a grinder and inverter to my kit

07JKSahara

I'll add spare axle shafts and whatever takeoff parts you think you might need. Cordless power tools if you have them.

I'm not asking for general gear here, but more specifically gear that is unique to the area. I have camped before so I’m good there. I’m also good on the recovery and tool needs as they are the same I would carry for any trail day.

It’s the little things that those of us out east rarely (if ever) need to worry about. Like carrying out your poo and preparing food without an open fire.

I can search on the interwebs for things to resolve these needs, but was curious what others here use in an effort to learn from their mistakes and purchase things that are proven to work.

Last edited:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Make sure you pick up a spill kit, also maybe some WAG bags In case you can't make it to an outhouse

Make sure you pick up a spill kit, also maybe some WAG bags In case you can't make it to an outhouse

Thank you... any perticular spill kit type? I currently carry a bag type kit, but most of the Rubicon prep sites mention a bucket type. I'm not fond of the space a bucket would take.

I should add that I will be traveling with my wife and my 13 year old son. So while I have a 4-door, space can still be an issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bug repellant especially if you're going early to mid summer. 30% DEET is the most effective and anything less will leave you with lumps. You can use stronger but, at least from what I have seen, it isn't necessary.

A means to haul out your trash. A lot of folks seem to forget about this part and the fact that there's a lot more of it to carry out then they realize.

WAG bags are good to have but not as necessary as they were in the past thanks to all new the toilets that have been installed along the trail.

Your recovery gear near you and readily accessible - NOT in back of your Jeep under all your camping gear. I prefer to have my bag behind the driver seat.

A spill kit is a must and I really don't think it matters what kind you have so long as it works.

Assuming fires are allowed, we ask that everyone carry at least one bundle of wood. This is something you can pick up in town before we leave.

If you're planning to camp at Rubicon Springs, a pair of swim trunks if you like to play in the river.

Fold out camping chairs and some kind of collapsible table otherwise, you'll be doing a lot of standing around or sitting on the ground.

Along with water and food for you and your passengers and enough for the duration of the trip, snacks and plenty of them that are easily accessible. There are a lot of times when a planned lunch stop gets delayed due to unforeseen circumstances and you should be prepared to keep yourself hunger free.

A good attitude, a willingness to help out when and where needed and some patience especially if you're going with a big group.

Thanks Eddie!

You mentioned some things I hadn't considered and others I very much agree with.

I'm sure the group will be very large when we are there. ;) :yup: But I look forward to meeting and wheeling with everyone.

MarkW13

I usually rent a satellite phone for multi day trips. The Rubicon is well traveled and there is usually someone around to help, but with a sat phone a helicopter ride to the hospital is only a phone call away.

Cost is around $100 for a week with unlimited talk time. They have some limitations. You get dropped because of satellite changes and they don't work in dense forest canopy. We usually make calls in meadows or at lakes.

The Rubicon is really just an over night trip, unless you plan on camping extra nights on the trail. I'd suggest checking out some of the other trails in the area in addition to the Rubicon.

On your spill kit I would recommend a larger double ziplock bag if it doesn't come with it.

Money for camping at rubicon springs if that's your goal

Fire permit (ca) stoves and wood if fires are allowed. I didn't look to see where you were coming from and some laws vary by states. I apologize if it's "known" or a repeat.

Patience :cheesy: you never know what you may run into on the trail :D

Thanks all!

We are headed there from Ohio. We are stretching our time a bit, but haven't decided if we are staying in the area or taking a slightly southern loop home to check out the Grand Canyon.

MarkW13

Fire permit (ca) stoves and wood if fires are allowed. I didn't look to see where you were coming from and some laws vary by states. I apologize if it's "known" or a repeat.

Patience :cheesy: you never know what you may run into on the trail :D

You can get a california campfire permit on line. The usfs, blm, and cal fire have a joint program. Complete the course and print.

ClarksAdventures

I usually rent a satellite phone for multi day trips. The Rubicon is well traveled and there is usually someone around to help, but with a sat phone a helicopter ride to the hospital is only a phone call away.

Cost is around $100 for a week with unlimited talk time. They have some limitations. You get dropped because of satellite changes and they don't work in dense forest canopy. We usually make calls in meadows or at lakes.

The Rubicon is really just an over night trip, unless you plan on camping extra nights on the trail. I'd suggest checking out some of the other trails in the area in addition to the Rubicon.

Check out this product. My brothers and I use it for everything from backpacking in the wilderness to powered paragliding. It's cheap and worth every http://www.findmespot.com

Top Bottom