How to adjust JKU Rubicon handbrake?

BumblebeeZA

My 2009 JKU Rubicon handbrake doesnt work well, it just needs adjustment, all the way to the top it just just just starts to grab, but cant keep the vehicle still on a hill or slight gradient.

How do I adjust it?

jknikos

Even if you do it it will not last more than 10 days.... I did it myself and after some days i was trying to catch my jk.... :naw::naw::naw:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys!

Is this the rubber access I need to get to then do I use a Phillips head to adjust?
View attachment 115563

That's what the access hole is for but, it's a lot easier to just pull the rotor and make the adjustment to the star wheel. I've been meaning to update this write-up for a while now, just haven't been able to get around to it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even if you do it it will not last more than 10 days.... I did it myself and after some days i was trying to catch my jk.... :naw::naw::naw:

I don't know, mine still works and every other JK that I have worked on still works :idontknow:

I don't know, mine still works and every other JK that I have worked on still works :idontknow:

Mine "works", but it doesn't really hold worth a crap. Most of the manuals I have had, had a MUCH stronger and more reliable e-brake than the JK. I have learned to always leave the Jeep in gear as a back-up but even that doesn't work well on really steep hills. (Especially with the 3.8L Jeep)

I adjust and the brake, it works great for a few weeks and then starts to fade again... I'm okay with this for the most part as I routinely remove the drum-rotor to clean trail goop.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Mine "works", but it doesn't really hold worth a crap. Most of the manuals I have had, had a MUCH stronger and more reliable e-brake than the JK. I have learned to always leave the Jeep in gear as a back-up but even that doesn't work well on really steep hills. (Especially with the 3.8L Jeep)

I adjust and the brake, it works great for a few weeks and then starts to fade again... I'm okay with this for the most part as I routinely remove the drum-rotor to clean trail goop.

Aren't you always supposed to leave a manual in gear when parked? :idontknow: at least that's what I was always taught.

Aren't you always supposed to leave a manual in gear when parked? :idontknow: at least that's what I was always taught.

You got me... you are. But I will admit I often don't when in a flat parking lot.

This issue for me is the times I want to jump out on the trail and leave the Jeep running for a few. (I know this is wrong too.) :doh:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
You have to pull up the lever until it almost breaks and then hope it doesnt. The margin of error between too loose and too tight seems very small to me. I have wondered about a hand lever modification for more throw, but worry about snapping the cable already.

Top Bottom