Smittybilt Hardtop

jpsoccer14

I ordered the Smittybilt 2 piece hardtop for our 2013 JKU and I am having problems making it fit. The back of the top fits fine and I didn't have any problems. The front part of the top won't line up with the driver side windshield. I also tested it on our 2011 JKU. Same thing on both... Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 228

holy_crap

Return it and buy a quality product.

Ditto. Nothing that I've bought from shittybuilt has fit. You should have no problems finding a factory hard top on Craigslist that will fit perfectly. That company has some serious quality control problems that have still yet to be addressed, their 4dr rails have had a problem with the driver side front mounting hole for over 6 years now. Company knows about it and has not addressed it.

jpsoccer14

I'm going to give them a call as soon as they open. It's crazy you pay that much money for something and thats the best they can do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is unfortunate but, you do get what you pay for and Smittybilt isn't exactly known for their quality.

jpsoccer14

Apparently I'm an idiot and don't know how to put a top on. They said I have to adjust the windshield in order to make it fit. Does anyone know the best way of doing that? They told me there is a bolt on the roll bar under the padding, but I don't see a bolt?

holy_crap

Apparently I'm an idiot and don't know how to put a top on. They said I have to adjust the windshield in order to make it fit. Does anyone know the best way of doing that? They told me there is a bolt on the roll bar under the padding, but I don't see a bolt?

Sorry, I've never seen or heard of such a thing as adjusting the windshield to fit a top. Hmmm, maybe I should have twisted the frame of the Jeep to line up the bolt on my shittybuilt side armor to be a perfect fit... Dude, I would not touch that windshield, if it starts to leak it will be a nightmare to get it back to factory spec.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

No fucking way, then when the windshield leaks, who fault is it.

MTG

Caught the Bug

Return it. Then RUN don't walk away. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: You were really told that??

Just so that there's no confusion, you can literally take the freedom top panels from ANY factory hard top and install them on your JK without having to adjust your windshield. How do I know? I've owned 4 different JK's and have swapped the tops on and off of them and without any trouble. The 2 hard tops that I had I sold and both new owners came to pick them up on their JK. Guess what, they installed without any issue.

As others have said, I would return the top and not look back. Call it a failed experiment.

holy_crap

Holly crap, Smittybilt wants $2500 for an aftermarket top. Seriously man, you can get a factory top for $1000 to $1500 off craigslist.

jpsoccer14

I'm not comfortable at all with moving the windshield. I think that is a horrible idea. This is what the actual instructions say.

Step 4 is what they said I needed to do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 4.26.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 4.26.28 PM.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 69

Dean454

I'm not comfortable at all with moving the windshield. I think that is a horrible idea. This is what the actual instructions say.

Step 4 is what they said I needed to do.

There is no reason to have to make that many adjustment and modifications just to put a top on.

jpsoccer14

I'm working on returning it. According to them though there is nothing wrong with the top. Pretty sure I'm going to be screwed out of a lot of money...

Wardell

The windshield is designed to be lowered, but you have to unbolt it from the supports to do that. Those would be the bolts they are talking about. IIRC, you have to take off some of the padding as well as the sun visors and plastic trim to get at them. Unlike previous Wranglers it's not very easy to do on a JK... and if you don't have everything lined up properly when you put the windshield back up you will have leaks like the others have said.

One big problem I can see coming: if you loosen the windshield so the Smittybilt hardtop will fit, it will be pushed forward and won't make a good seal with the doors...

Like the others have said, get your money back. There are better after market tops by more reputable companies, but in my mind the OEM hardtop is still the best way to go.

Top Bottom