Warn winch installation question

DMF

My instrument cluster warning lights would temporary flash, started back in October. As recommended on this forum was to check all my battery cables and all is good and tight. Yesterday coming home over the Sierra mountains this was my dash display (see video below) the worse it's been. After making it off the mountain, I disconnected everything that was going to my battery, just a set of lights and this winch were connected to the battery and the dash issue went away. Now did I install the winch incorrectly? Do I need fuses on the power line? I didn't see that in the manual and just hooked the winch directly to the battery. Or do I have a defective winch?

This is the video my my instrument cluster
http://youtu.be/AiymlGgBSQ8

rinkishjk

If u had this issue and disconnected everything from the battery except the winch and lights and the issue went away, I'd say it's not the winch at all. I'd say that the cause is a loose wire somewhere. Your speedo comes off and on, but the rpms dont go out. I would check the large harness connectors under the tipm, and on the firewall.

DMF

If u had this issue and disconnected everything from the battery except the winch and lights and the issue went away, I'd say it's not the winch at all. I'd say that the cause is a loose wire somewhere. Your speedo comes off and on, but the rpms dont go out. I would check the large harness connectors under the tipm, and on the firewall.

Hi RinkishJK, I know that was a long question. Should have gotten to the point.

No I disconnected the winch and lights. That is all I had connected to it.

rinkishjk

Hi RinkishJK, I know that was a long question. Should have gotten to the point.

No I disconnected the winch and lights. That is all I had connected to it.

OK. What kind of lights are they, and where are u getting power and ground for them from? I would try connecting just the winch and see if the problem continues or not. U might have a short with the lights wiring, or are overloading a circuit and making the dash not happy..

DMF

OK. What kind of lights are they, and where are u getting power and ground for them from? I would try connecting just the winch and see if the problem continues or not. U might have a short with the lights wiring, or are overloading a circuit and making the dash not happy..

They are Cree lights the 3" pods. I'm using a wiring harness from pepboys for the lights. So the power cable is connected to the battery. The "remote" wire sorry don't know what the correct terminology for that wire but it is connected to my parking lights. The parking lights have to turn on so those cree lights can turn on. And ground wire is connected to a bolt on inner fender close to the battery.

DMF

Thanks again RinkishJK

But just want to confirm, no fuses is needed for the winch? I can hook it up straight to the battery?

rinkishjk

Correct. U can wire in a solenoid so there is protection for it. I believe pastorwug did a write up on that. Warn also sells a kit for this.

DMF

Correct. U can wire in a solenoid so there is protection for it. I believe pastorwug did a write up on that. Warn also sells a kit for this.

Thanks again Rinkishjk. I'm going to plug my lights back on. Hopefully the issue doesn't come back and if it doesn't come back I'm gonna use the Warn quick disconnect and just keep it off until I need it. Thanks for the tip, I had no idea those types of accessories were even available.

Top Bottom