drop down tailgate..

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I don't like it due to the fact you cannot run your spare...or purchase an bumper mount spare tire carrier.

Rayz

I don't like it due to the fact you cannot run your spare...or purchase an bumper mount spare tire carrier.
huh, they say it will work with tub mounted carrier also..but if your already running a carrier like that then this would be really useful.. , my spare rides in back now..

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
huh, they say it will work with tub mounted carrier also..but if your already running a carrier like that then this would be really useful.. , my spare rides in back now..

A tub mounted carrier would be genright or evo. Not the factory.

Wardell

It doesn't line up very nicely when opened, because of the way the Jeep's tailgate has angled edges. On pickup trucks, they designed the edge where the hinge is to sit flush. With this conversion, I could see gear getting hung up there as you're trying to slide it in.

Personally, I'd rather keep the tailgate side opening and add a fold down table to it to give more work area.

Rayz

It doesn't line up very nicely when opened, because of the way the Jeep's tailgate has angled edges. On pickup trucks, they designed the edge where the hinge is to sit flush. With this conversion, I could see gear getting hung up there as you're trying to slide it in.

Personally, I'd rather keep the tailgate side opening and add a fold down table to it to give more work area.

that's a very good point... hmm maybe someone can come up with an improved version..

Last edited:

Hoyt Ag

I did the Swag tailgate conversion and have mixed thoughts on it. I have always ran with my spare in the tub of the JK since it can get hung up when on an incline/decline where I go. The kit took about 4 hours to install, but the tailgate doesn't line up perfectly on the passenger side. I have a few more ideas on how to adjust it, but I have not found the time yet.

I will say this, the customer service is top notch. I had several questions prior and after buying and they did a remarkable job in answering them. The products are very well made at an affordable price. Instructions were pretty clear, but could use a few more details, IMO.

Overall I am glad I did it, as the tailgate makes a great workspace on the trail and with the top down, you can haul longer than normal items with the tailgate down.

Top Bottom