XJ big brake conversion DIY for 15 inch rims

Heavy D.

Hello !

On an XJ, brakes ar not something worth calling "brakes", not even with stock wheels. With 33" tires, no comment on that. So I searched, and found out some off the shelf parts that could do the job. After I've already done a 4-piston front/2 piston rear conversion on my 15" rim Benz, I thought it could work on the XJ too. Said and done in one week... OEM rotors out, BMW E32 12" rotors in. Mercedes 4-piston calipers over the rotors on both axles, of course. And at the rear, two-piston calipers for the parking brake.

Disc si etrier fata.jpg

Etrieri in pozitie pe spate.jpg

Parking brake MC came from some motorsport supplier, it's not yet fitted. And the 16 pistons need more fluid, so I have this to fit:

MC de Grand Wagoneer.jpg

More to come...

Heavy D.

This is the "more to come" part...

To fit all the parts togehter, I had to machine some of them and to fabricate some stuff.

At the rear, a little bit of plasma cutting, a little bit of MIG-welding, nothing extreme. Axle seals were already worn out, so after the welding I fitted new ones:

2dj6ofr.jpg

b88pqp.jpg

67qt1f.jpg

r0y17c.jpg

At the front, some milling:

14aeqsh.jpg

30vhb2w.jpg

Being already at work, I deleted the cable disconnect stuff, using a one piece axle shaft and a 1/3" plate to cover the remaining hole in the axle:

eu0md2.jpg

To help my conversion to metric fittings and hoses, I've done this for all the four calipers at rear:

s3d7ac.jpg

For the front lines, I cut the flared part to get out the old fitting, then I fitted the M10x1 one and I reflared the line. Now using custom length stainless steel braided brake hoses.

Still more tor come, after I get my laptop repaired...

Top Bottom