CB Tuning help

jmatta33

Ok, so I got my CB installed but I am a complete novice when it comes to radios. Anyone have a good write up to explain how to get it dialed in? I have pretty much only been able to get some staticky broken transmissions by trial and error if just turning knobs at random. I have a cobra 29 LTD if that helps...

UpsideUp

Does that model have a built in SWR meter? My 29 LX has a built in one and I have had to tune it a couple of times and it's pretty straight forward if you follow the directions that came with it. Otherwise...and someone correct me if I'm wrong...you should get your hands on an SWR meter for accuracy. And make sure everything is correctly hooked up including your antenna FIRST otherwise you could burn out the unit.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Check out this video.

You also have to adjust/tune your antenna as well. Here's a step by step guide for that process. You should have a SWR meter built into your CB and you can disregard most of the SWR specific tuning instructions below. The end goal is for the SWR to be below 2 on both channels 1 and 40.

The first thing you need to do is find a suitable location to park your vehicle. There should be no obstructions, such as trees or buildings, within 10 to 15 meters of your antenna. Neither you nor your buddies should be hanging out around the car, either. Make sure that you’re inside with the doors and windows closed to ensure an accurate reading.

The next step is to hook up the SWR meter. First, disconnect the coaxial cable from the back of the radio. Reconnect this end of the cable, which is going to the antenna, to the SWR meter in the connector marked “antenna” or “ANT.” Next, use the jumper lead to connect your radio and the SWR meter through the connection marked “transmitter” or “XMIT.”

Now you are ready to measure the SWR on a few different channels. Remember, throughout this process it's important to keep the microphone the same distance from the meter for each test.

Set the switch on the SWR meter to “FWD.”

Turn the radio to channel 1.

Key the microphone (depress the button and hold it).

Turn the knob on the SWR meter labeled “SET” or “ADJUST” until the needle reaches the setting position at the end of its range.

While still keying the microphone, flip the switch on the SWR meter to the “REF” or “SWR” position.

Quickly record the reading given by your SWR meter and release the transmit key on your microphone.

You are now going to repeat this process for channel 40. Follow steps 4 through 9.

The objective behind tuning your antenna is to make these two readings as close as possible. Getting down to a 1.5:1 ratio or below makes for a passable broadcast signal. There are two basic points to understand before adjusting the length of your antenna:

If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short.
*reference rightchannelsradio "CB Antenna Tuning Instructions"

Last edited:

jmatta33

Does that model have a built in SWR meter? My 29 LX has a built in one and I have had to tune it a couple of times and it's pretty straight forward if you follow the directions that came with it. Otherwise...and someone correct me if I'm wrong...you should get your hands on an SWR meter for accuracy. And make sure everything is correctly hooked up including your antenna FIRST otherwise you could burn out the unit.

actually just realized i have the 29 LX

trailless

Caught the Bug
actually just realized i have the 29 LX

Haha, that makes it a little easier but the above still apply. This guy below lays it out for you very nicely.

Good luck and have fun. A cb is like having an extra radio station, the truckers are really entertaining... for the most part anyways. :crazyeyes:

jmatta33

Haha, that makes it a little easier but the above still apply. This guy below lays it out for you very nicely.

Good luck and have fun. A cb is like having an extra radio station, the truckers are really entertaining... for the most part anyways. :crazyeyes:

yeah i go on a lot of long distance trips and I would love to pick up trucker chatter on the radio. just have no clue how to do that lol. ill watch the videos and give at a go though! thanks for all the quick responses guys!

yeah i go on a lot of long distance trips and I would love to pick up trucker chatter on the radio. just have no clue how to do that lol. ill watch the videos and give at a go though! thanks for all the quick responses guys!

Problem is truckers hardly use them anymore. And they do happen to use one it just to tell someone else off.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Problem is truckers hardly use them anymore. And they do happen to use one it just to tell someone else off.

I'm usually only on there when there's traffic but you can almost always get a response. Also you get those other people that like to broadcast from other countries....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm usually only on there when there's traffic but you can almost always get a response. Also you get those other people that like to broadcast from other countries....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had to start using a filter to get rid of the cab company in Mexico City. That one I could hear in Chicago.

Top Bottom