37" Goodyear MTR

xkid

I had a set of BFG allterains when I first got my rig, then went to duratracs, finally made the jump to 35s mtr's I've had them on for 2000km. I have a set of the new 35x12.5x17s BFG ko2 on order for my other rig. My mtr's balanced first try, really smooth on the highway, our Canadian roads are quiet different than what you guys have south of the border but personally I've loved the mtr's so far.

I'm comparing them to my duratracs and they are on par so far for our typical snow fall and the slick roads that accompany them. I got my rig going 140km to match highway speed today on my way to Woodstock, they are balanced perfectly. I can literally let go and I see no initial signs of anythig being out of wack. For the conditions of wheeling I do and my trips the mtr's seem like they will do great. But I'll see how the ko2s do for the northern expeditions we do when I take "junior" up on the trailer behind my rig to get to our cabin

You were matching the speed at 140. Get in the slow lane.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

AlwaysCrawling

I have the Goodyear MTRs and have really enjoyed them. They wear pretty fast but I run my rig on gnarly sharp shale and lava rock frequently. I'd consider buying them again but probably larger than my current 35's. 37s would be great, but I don't have the money to re-gear and throw down for hydro assist right now.

AZMyke

Have had two set of 35s on two other jeeps and currently waiting to put my 37s on current jeep ... not bad on the HWY for aggressive tires and love them on the trails; everyone has their opinions and personal experiences. Can't wait to run the 37s and will give an honest opinion later on down the road. Has for balancing ... lifetime through DT is good enough for me cause I'll keep taking them back until it's correct. No issue with that with previous tires.

JKU EXTREME

I Know this is an old thread, but this is really helping me in my decision making. Almost everyone here in East Texas swears by these MTRs, but I have always wanted the Toyo MTs (Thanks to watching Eddie wheel Moby, but there's a small difference between a 40 and a 35..). The only reason I was wanting to get a set of MTRs was because my friend can get a set of five for me for a Grand. But I'm now back to my initial dilemma of deciding between the Nitto TG and the Toyo MTs.

Wethy

I wish they still made the old mtr. Those things were great!

I'm gonna bump this also! But overlander you just might get this wish! I was talking to a guy who works at Goodyear here in Ontario and they just got a ticket to make them again! He told me they had changed the compound to a silica and they were going to make sizes up to a 20" rim. I can't say if this will make it past testing or even to the public but this is just what I was told. I mean I'd be pretty excited if they brought them back that's for sure!

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I Know this is an old thread, but this is really helping me in my decision making. Almost everyone here in East Texas swears by these MTRs, but I have always wanted the Toyo MTs (Thanks to watching Eddie wheel Moby, but there's a small difference between a 40 and a 35..). The only reason I was wanting to get a set of MTRs was because my friend can get a set of five for me for a Grand. But I'm now back to my initial dilemma of deciding between the Nitto TG and the Toyo MTs.

Sounds like a good price. The pocketbook might make the decision for you

Your only $600 away from the tires your really want. I say dont settle...usually it ends up more expensive to go the cheap route.

7kings

I recently put a set of MTR/Ks (35x12.50r15) on my JKU. I had heard that the newer generation was much better than the earlier ones, and I really wanted to love them, so I figured I'd give them a shot. Coming from Duratracs (which I was very pleased with), I really expected better. To be fair, I feel like they perform fairly well off-road (at least in dirt and mud - not too many places to rock crawl down here in SW FL), and were among the lightest of the 35" contenders.

That being said, I will never recommend these tires to anyone - at least anyone I like. Mine are out-of-round, took an obscene amount of weight to balance, and have a significant radial pull to the right on the streets, requiring me to keep constant pressure turning the wheel slightly to the left so I don't drift off the road. I don't understand how a company as big and established as Goodyear can have such lousy quality control, but they do.

Never again. I'm either going to try to sell them to someone who might want them or else do my damndest to wear them down as quickly as I can.

malamuteman

I know this is a few months old but wanted to reply to possibly help someone. I'm currently running 37x12.5x17 on a 2014 JKU with no heavy bumpers. I have a lightweight front bumper and small winch. No rear bumper and stock location tire carrier. I would highly recommend not getting these tires. For months I chased a steering issue it turns out a lot of my problem were these tires. Above 35-40 mph they take constant correction. I finally got them to work but only if I run psi at 28-30. This means on hot days they are ok at first then suck. On cold days they are ok once they get warm. If the psi goes lower I'm all over the road. Above that it ride likes the springs have been replaced with bricks. I balance and rotate on a very regular basis however they continue to wear bad. The outside tread continues to wear in a convex curve and the middle tread wears in a concave curve.
This is not the first mud tire as I ran the Toyo in a 35 prior to these. I went with these because of the weight difference (Toyo are heavy). Not worth it. I'm now trying to figure out weather I want to continue to fight these or take a lose and replace. For all those looking go with a Nitto or Toyo do not even consider these.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know this is a few months old but wanted to reply to possibly help someone. I'm currently running 37x12.5x17 on a 2014 JKU with no heavy bumpers. I have a lightweight front bumper and small winch. No rear bumper and stock location tire carrier. I would highly recommend not getting these tires. For months I chased a steering issue it turns out a lot of my problem were these tires. Above 35-40 mph they take constant correction. I finally got them to work but only if I run psi at 28-30. This means on hot days they are ok at first then suck. On cold days they are ok once they get warm. If the psi goes lower I'm all over the road. Above that it ride likes the springs have been replaced with bricks. I balance and rotate on a very regular basis however they continue to wear bad. The outside tread continues to wear in a convex curve and the middle tread wears in a concave curve.
This is not the first mud tire as I ran the Toyo in a 35 prior to these. I went with these because of the weight difference (Toyo are heavy). Not worth it. I'm now trying to figure out weather I want to continue to fight these or take a lose and replace. For all those looking go with a Nitto or Toyo do not even consider these.

LOL!! Talk about thread resurrection but I have to agree with everything you just described. When I ran MT/R's, I had many of the same problems you are experiencing now. By far, my LEAST FAVORITE mud terrain tire I have ever run and for the reasons stated.

Top Bottom