Cobra lx29 mounting?

1BAMF'nJKU

I have been holding off on installing my lx29 cb. I purchased the rugged ridge cb mount that attaches at the center F.L....but...also have a spod to install, and I'm afraid both will not fit. I did see a write up on eddies jeep that he mounted his cb to the rock hard roll cage which I'm pretty fond of. My ? Is...can you buy just the "crossover" portion of the roll cage that his cb is mounted to for I do not need or want the entire cage. If so what is the part # and location this could be purchased at? Thanks for the help N I look forward to hearing back!

K.D.C.H

First off Welcome to Wayalife, you may want to head over to the "Give Us A Wave" section and introduce yourself.

On the CB -

I have the same CB and I'll be mounting it in the center a over the rear view mirror. As far as the sPod goes is it brand new? The reason I ask is to see if it's possible to return it.

Other than their lack of integrity, sPod takes up a lot of room both under the hood and in the cab, there's another option from Switch Pros that's a very nice compact plug and play system.

Here is a link for that system
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?23717-Northridge4x4-Switch-Pros-Switch-Panel-Pre-Order

Last edited:

1BAMF'nJKU

I have never heard of them! I will def look into it and consider sending this spod back. I didn't know of any others and thanks for the heads up.

Tcdawg

Another solution for an overhead mount is to make your own. Use 1" square tube that you can get from Home Depot. Cut to the length you need and then notch out each end(maybe 3" long by 3/4' deep) so it sits down on the side roll bar tubes. Attach with self tapping screws to a location just behind the hand screws for your soft top, or if you have a hard top, just behind the location of the freedom top locator pin holes(if that is what they are called). Attach your CB mount to the square tube with self tapers and you are done. You can remove it to paint your favorite color.

Works great, stable and in a great location to both hear the CB and operate it. Cheap, $22 for the tube, less than 10 for self tappers and paint. If you have a dremel or an angle grinder with a cut off wheel you are good to go.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I mounted mine over the mirror, there are plenty of other switch solutions - and I've owned an spod, it was a big waste of space IMO. I prefer my radio up there to a bunch of huge switches.

K.D.C.H

Another solution for an overhead mount is to make your own. Use 1" square tube that you can get from Home Depot. Cut to the length you need and then notch out each end(maybe 3" long by 3/4' deep) so it sits down on the side roll bar tubes. Attach with self tapping screws to a location just behind the hand screws for your soft top, or if you have a hard top, just behind the location of the freedom top locator pin holes(if that is what they are called). Attach your CB mount to the square tube with self tapers and you are done. You can remove it to paint your favorite color.

Works great, stable and in a great location to both hear the CB and operate it. Cheap, $22 for the tube, less than 10 for self tappers and paint. If you have a dremel or an angle grinder with a cut off wheel you are good to go.

Do you have a picture of what you're describing. I'd be interested to see what you're talking about.

Tcdawg

Do you have a picture of what you're describing. I'd be interested to see what you're talking about.

These are the only pictures I have and they are not great but may help you out. I would take more but don't use this bar anymore, I use my cage tube that is in that area now.

3b4c1041.jpg

9532be22.jpg

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
One thing to keep in mind is the 29lx barely fits newer JKs. Here's a pic just to give you an idea.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421950671.286838.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Barely fits still means that it fits right?

yea it will fit. i had mine mounted above the mirror with the strikeforce zebra mount and had plenty of room to still adjust the Rear view mirror. sadly i dont have a pic for you

Tcdawg

yea it will fit. i had mine mounted above the mirror with the strikeforce zebra mount and had plenty of room to still adjust the Rear view mirror. sadly i dont have a pic for you

I'm good, don't need a pic but thank you. I was just making a comment on that for others that may want to use that particular mount.

I helped a friend mount his Cobra lx29 on a homemade mount and there was plenty of room.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Good to know seeing as I have a 2015. I wonder if moving the mirror down even 1/2 inch would help.

On my 2015 there was not plenty of room, but it fits. The mirror has a double joint that you have to utilize to move it as far down as it will go. You could definitely restick it and it would be better, but it works fine without doing that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have never heard of them! I will def look into it and consider sending this spod back. I didn't know of any others and thanks for the heads up.

i see your in PA and not to far from me. got any pics and stats of your rig. i wanna know if its like a former member from here that had almost the exact same name.

1BAMF'nJKU

No not currently, where are you located in Pa? I'm new to the jeep world, and mods are slowly but surely getting added! Had a budget boost that I decided to hold off on and get the evo enforcer kit when cash is available.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No not currently, where are you located in Pa? I'm new to the jeep world, and mods are slowly but surely getting added! Had a budget boost that I decided to hold off on and get the evo enforcer kit when cash is available.

Well go post a wave thread and throw up some pics of your jeep then tell us about yourself :thumb:

Top Bottom