Follow me they said

AKBearMoose

Our alaskan winter has been very mild...in all seriousness, check ice depths before crossing! At least JKs have built in escape hatches...LOL

Attachments

• 1422214158508.jpg
    1422214158508.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 380

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Did you take that picture? I've seen it on Instagram for the last week. Just curious if you actually witnessed that stupid shit. Lol

LtCoyote

Everyone is out now. Supposedly they took a wrong turn. In this area, I have been told there are some hot springs that feed the streams and river.
image.jpg

Wardell

I've been seeing this for a week or two as well. Was this up in Alaska?

If it's anything like here, there are a number of seasonal ice roads and winter roads (though granted, I'm living where the first season of Ice Road Truckers was filmed). Just to give you an idea, right now everything is frozen way thicker than needed for passenger vehicles, though I don't know if they've opened for tractor trailers yet. The ice needs to be at least 70 cm thick for them, but they usually reach that around 30 January so it should be good any time now. Still, you always have to check the conditions before heading out on the ice.

If this was up in Alaska, I could believe if this was a map reading fail that lead them near a hot springs. Normally they wouldn't have much to worry about, but a nearby hot spring would really keep the ice thin. It's a combination of poor planning and bad luck, but they still should have been able to avoid this.

If it was someone way down south doing this, then it sounds like they were being dumb. If they would have stopped to poke a hole in the ice and check, they'd have seen that it's way too thin...

Top Bottom