ATTENTION - Chrysler WILL VOID Your Warranty if You Lift Your Jeep

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
As someone who has owned several sports cars and belonged to enthusiast's message forums and groups, this sort of thing ALWAYS comes up.

The law says you're protected if a dealership tries to void your whole vehicle warranty over a modification that can't affect the rest of the vehicle. The problem is, it's still your word against the dealership's if they come up with "creative" reasons why part A affects broken part B. (For example, I heard a story of a guy who couldn't get a blown engine replaced under warranty because he used an aftermarket K&N air filter. How the heck would that do anything, you ask? Well, this dealer came up with the theory that "by increasing the airflow beyond factory specifications with the high performance filter, the engine computer could no longer calculate the proper air/fuel mixture and it caused a lean condition that damaged the engine".)

Total B.S.? You bet it was! But now your options for warranty engine repair/replacement are limited to spending money on lawyers and taking time out to battle in court to prove your point. The dealerships and auto-makers know this, and figure it's a good gamble if they really don't want to be out of pocket for thousands of dollars fixing your ride. Worst case? They seriously inconvenience you and cost you up-front money to fight about it, and in the end, just wound up getting ordered to do the work they would have had to do anyway. Over half the time, they win because you won't go through all of that to make them do the right thing.

I think what I've learned is if you buy a car/truck/Jeep/van/whatever from a dealership and you have any interest in modifying it in the future? Do your research first. Talk, in person, to the head service technician and figure out if he's a "gear head" or not. The manager of the service techs is the guy you really need to have on your side, wherever you're going to take your vehicle for service. When you find the guy who drives heavily modified vehicles himself and maybe even admits he does a little bit of "side work" modifying them for other people? That's where to buy!

Welcome to Wayalife!

FoxGhost

My dealership rocks! They installed my lift at the time of purchase. They told me that if they put it on, they would warrantee it. I have purchased many vehicles there and have a great relationship with them.
You know what Ray Stevens says; "when you get a hair cut get a barber that you know. .."

66bmx6

I had similar dealing with 2 dealerships. Had a few warrantee things that i was 100% sure were covered in my bumper to bumper. Not one was covered and it took weeks and multiple agents telling me every different run around possible. I was so mad i wanted to sell my baby out of spite for the corporation. but like you say, i love my jeep and the lifestyle it allows me. My next jeep will be used from a privet seller because i cant stomik dealing with them.
My jeep needs some work done now and i dont know were to take it. Had i had a positive experience with my local dealer, it would be there now, but its not. In between my 2 jeeps i drove a Murcury wagon. I took it to Ford the first time i had an issue, sure it cost me a bunch to have a dealership fix it but is was done right and i was treated great. and for the next 6 years they were the only one to touch my car, and i was greeted with my first name every time i walked in the door for a oil change or what ever. The point i am getting at is they took the time to build that customer relationship and it payed off for both off us. They got my business and i felt comftorble letting them at it. I am 0 for 3 on Jeep dealerships. I guess the trick is finding a good one, i am sure they are out there.

I was shocked to get a quote of $900 each for the cruise control sensors. Cruise control is covered by warrantee but the sensors that tell it wether it is on or off is not coverd. Same dealership told me i had chunks missis from my synergy belt and need it replaced emeditly, for $230 and they could get the belt in that week. I could find nothing wrong with the belt, rocked it for another 8 months before getting one installed off the self for $50 from JiffyLube.

Sorry for the ramble, I hope it all works out for with your light and exhaust

cuongdyna

I think I'm going to be screwed. I have their life time extended warranty. I wonder how I'm going to get treated when I have a problems after my 3/36 warranty is gone.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to be screwed. I have their life time extended warranty. I wonder how I'm going to get treated when I have a problems after my 3/36 warranty is gone.

I've got the same warranty. I've had a TON of problems and so far my dealership as well as grand junction, co has taken care of everything under warranty. I would just go chat with your service manager. That's what I've done on multiple occasions and so far so good :thumb:

USMCvet

Banned
The Moss-Magnussen Act allows individuals to install aftermarket parts. Further, it prevents the manufacturers from wholesale voiding of warranties based on the installation of said aftermarket parts. For a manufacture to challenge the Act, they must prove by a preponderance of evidence that the aftermarket part caused the failure of a related system, part, or associated material covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

StrizzyChris

The Moss-Magnussen Act allows individuals to install aftermarket parts. Further, it prevents the manufacturers from wholesale voiding of warranties based on the installation of said aftermarket parts. For a manufacture to challenge the Act, they must prove by a preponderance of evidence that the aftermarket part caused the failure of a related system, part, or associated material covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

.....and Chrysler would love to see if your willing to take the time and effort to shell out your cash on a lawyer and take the matter to court. They have no doubt that 75%+ give up on step one of this battle. Saves them millions in the long run to dick over as many as they can until they reach the few that press the issue!

USMCvet

Banned
.....and Chrysler would love to see if your willing to take the time and effort to shell out your cash on a lawyer and take the matter to court. They have no doubt that 75%+ give up on step one of this battle. Saves them millions in the long run to dick over as many as they can until they reach the few that press the issue!

I've done it before, not against Chrysler, but against another of the big ones and prevailed. It shouldn't be any money up front to the litigant but it does take time.

Toxic

I've had work done at my local dealer and they have actually committed on how my jeeps looks and all. Have an EVO Double D on and they love it. They've told me people put 37's on and then go with some cheap lift.

crowrb29

Do everything you can at the dealership for a while to try to build a relationship with them. It gives you better chances of them taking care of you when things go wrong that you can't fix on your own.

IceColdJK

I might be in good hands

My local dealership does not install any mods even the Mopar products. They did however go as far as recommending two local companies to install lift, wheels, tires, and other mods. They said that they have good reputations of proper builds. We'll see if that makes any difference when I have to go see them for anything other than oil changes. Wish me luck.

Pilgrim55

I didn't have a problem with warranty when I lifted mine my understanding is that they wouldn't warranty anything that was connected to the lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Minor stuff wasn't even near suspension washer bottle had some problem with eso system

Well, talk to me again when it's something that isn't so minor regardless if it's near the suspension. Of course, as I always say, every dealership is different and they are ultimately the ones who will flag your Jeep. If you've got one that's willing to work with you, you might be fine but if you actually took the time to read what I wrote way back when this thread was originally started, you'd know that I just went in to have a cracked exhaust manifold replaced when I got flagged - a very common problem with the old 3.8L and it has nothing to do with suspension.

cchristman1

In Cali it is illegal for dealers to do that though I am sure some will try. And all of the ones near me were willing to do the same lifts for me thru DSI, warrantied , for a fee of course, which around here is also 4x4 parts.com. :). Don't know how they would ever win

Top Bottom