Best Mud Terrain tire for the road

thechrisjones

Looking for advice on the best mud terrain tire for the road. Looking for ride quality and longevity. The size will be 37 on 20 inch wheel. I like he looks of the toyo mud terrain and nitro trail grappler. But would love to hear what what have seen or know!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As everyone knows, I'm a big fan of both Nitto and Toyo tires but, if ride quality AND longevity are what's most important to you, I would recommend you give BFG MT's a look. No other MT I have tested last as long as BFG and their Range C rating makes them very comfortable for daily driving.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^^ That is very interesting. I have owned two sets of BFG mud terrain tires (one set was the KM's that came on my Jeep) and had nothing but problems with both. To be fair, the first set I had was back in the 80's. Lol.

AcB-jk

You can't really go wrong with Nitto or Toyo; both have a well established name and high quality products. Toyo is the mother company to Nitto but either way you go both high quality.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
^^^ That is very interesting. I have owned two sets of BFG mud terrain tires (one set was the KM's that came on my Jeep) and had nothing but problems with both. To be fair, the first set I had was back in the 80's. Lol.

LOL!! The newer KM2's are a good tire that wears like iron. Because of this, they aren't as good off road or, at least, not in my opinion. The sidewalls are thin and that's why I prefer not to run them but, it's also why they provide a nicer ride.

You can't really go wrong with Nitto or Toyo; both have a well established name and high quality products. Toyo is the mother company to Nitto but either way you go both high quality.

Both are great tires and they are what I prefer to run but, what makes them so awesome is their tough sidewalls and sticky rubber compound. Both are excellent off road and in my opinion, good on road as well BUT, these qualities also make them ride a bit rougher when compared to a BFG and wear out a lot faster. For me, I'm okay with this but for the OP, I'm not 100% sure it's what he'd be wanting.

CanadianJK

My only complaint about my KM2s are that they aren't wearing out fast enough for me to get new tires in a larger size...

Eddie, if I really like my KM2s, in your opinion how will trail grapplers compare? I'm looking at mud grapplers as well, but would likely chew them up with highway driving.

Nittos are a little tougher to find out where I live, but I can manage if it's worth it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My only complaint about my KM2s are that they aren't wearing out fast enough for me to get new tires in a larger size...

Eddie, if I really like my KM2s, in your opinion how will trail grapplers compare? I'm looking at mud grapplers as well, but would likely chew them up with highway driving.

Nittos are a little tougher to find out where I live, but I can manage if it's worth it.

The Trail Grapplers will excel on the trail. Depending on what size you get (that'll determine what Range Load it has), your ride may feel a bit more firm at street pressure. Both will be very quite for an MT. Of course, Mud Grapplers will be very noisy and, having run both, I still think the Trail Grapplers would out perform them.

BlackHawk08jk

The Trail Grapplers will excel on the trail. Depending on what size you get (that'll determine what Range Load it has), your ride may feel a bit more firm at street pressure. Both will be very quite for an MT. Of course, Mud Grapplers will be very noisy and, having run both, I still think the Trail Grapplers would out perform them.

I agree with Eddie on the over all performance of the trail grappler vs. the mud grappler. I'm tuning my third set of MUds but I will be going back to the trail grappler just can't beat them over all. And noise wise there is no comparison between the two.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have gone threw two sets of BFG M/T's...then again they were KM's? The KM2's are a better tire I assume. The Trail Grappler's sure look mighty sexy!

I would agree with Eddie and the BFGs. I have had my KM2s for 35k now and still probably have another 35 on them. Crazy good life for a MT!

CanadianJK

Thanks, that helps a lot.

yoyoyeo02

Anyone running the trepador radials? They are on the jeep we picked up and believe they are pretty new. Any evaluations?

Templar

I had the same experience with the KM2's. On my 08 JKUR I bought a used set of 37" KM2's, put 60k miles on them and they still had some more miles in them when I sold that Jeep... :crazyeyes:

hdrider

I have no real comparison but I am on my second set of Trail Grapplers on 2 different rigs now. And coming from Oregon most of my wheeling has been in mud or slick trails and snow. Love Love Love the way the Trail Grappler has performed. And because my jeeps have been daily drivers as well street performance was also important and I have been happy with them in that area as well.

desertrunner

I had the same experience with the KM2's. On my 08 JKUR I bought a used set of 37" KM2's, put 60k miles on them and they still had some more miles in them when I sold that Jeep... :crazyeyes:

Maybe I am just an outlier but my 37" KM2s have just under 30K on them and they are bald now I'm looking for new tires currently and I'm shying away from the KM2 because they wore out so fast. Maybe I got a bad batch? My 37s are D load range too so not sure how that compares in longevity with toyo 37 MT in E load range

Last edited:

DMF

I'm waiting on the Falken's MT's to be release the end of this year. If the OP can wait, that maybe a set to consider.

jedg

I'm running 35x1250x17 KM2s on my rig. I thought they were going to be a load 'C' but they are actually load 'D', perhaps this is because they are a 35? I've had these on my rig for 10,000 miles now and two off-roading events. On the road they are much quieter than I expected and handle rain okay. Off-road, I've had them in a mix of rock crawling and mud (SMORR in Missouri) and they performed much better than my last set of tires. That's probably a combination of a better tire and a larger tire (moved from a 33" to a 35"). They definitely air down/flex better than the Cooper STTs I had. I had Cooper STTs (33") but they were a load 'E' tire and they road very rough. Airing them down also didn't make much difference as they didn't flex much.

Top Bottom