Shocking Decision

sitruc

Trying to decide on a good shock that will match well with EVO Plush Ride 4" springs. Looking to run 37's on my JKU and I'm considering Rancho 7000's, 9000XL's or FOX 2.0 Evolution Series.

Any opinions or others to look at. Trying to stay within a reasonable budget. :D

I have the Rancho RS9000XL paired with the 3 inch Plush Rides. 10frank9 has the the same shocks paired with the 4 inch Plush Rides.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I personally like the 7000's as they are good monotube shocks but, if you want adjustable shocks, the 9000's are a good choice too.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Trying to decide on a good shock that will match well with EVO Plush Ride 4" springs. Looking to run 37's on my JKU and I'm considering Rancho 7000's, 9000XL's or FOX 2.0 Evolution Series.

Any opinions or others to look at. Trying to stay within a reasonable budget. :D

I'd say those Ranchos would suit most people just fine. I ran a set of Rancho 5000s on my jeep while my Kings were getting rebuilt and around town I couldn't tell a difference. Unless you plan to do a lot of off road driving where the suspension cycles a lot, any of those would be a good choice. I would also argue that the bypasses unnecessary. However they do look cool, especially if you get the ones with the fancy adjuster knobs. ;)

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I like my Rancho 9000xl adjustables, but for ease of use I would recommend the 7000's.

I rarely adjust them and you can save some change this way too. :yup:

sitruc

I have 9000's now for my 2.5 lift and once set have NEVER touched them. That might be why I'm leaning in other directions. ;)

toxicwaste29

I have heard good about the rancho 9000 Ill get a set when I save up (college kid). I have a set of pro comp 9000 and rk 2.5" springs and it rides like the suspension has 2x4's

I have the Rancho RS9000XL paired with the 3 inch Plush Rides. 10frank9 has the the same shocks paired with the 4 inch Plush Rides.

I personally like the 7000's as they are good monotube shocks but, if you want adjustable shocks, the 9000's are a good choice too.

I have the same question as the OP. Since no one has mentioned the fox 2.0's, im assuming you all are not fans of them?

KingCopperhead

I have the same question as the OP. Since no one has mentioned the fox 2.0's, im assuming you all are not fans of them?

I have the Fox 2.0 performance series shocks. No complaints here. However I've never ridden in a JK with any other brands to compare them to.

I will say that my jeep handles very well for my liking. Even with the super stiff mopar 3" springs that I run, my jeep never feels jittery. Soaks up washboard dirt roads without becoming unstable, very smooth on the highway as well.

To the OP : I think as long as you go with a quality and reputable shock brand you'll be happy. Also, I think off road Evolution has proprietary valving with the king shocks that they sell with their enforcer kits (someone correct me if I'm wrong please.) I would look to that as my first option and go from there.

Jk909

I run the fox 2.0 and I love them. They really shine when I'm pulling my boat and I have a ton of camping gear. I love the way that they soak up everything.

sitruc

I have heard good about the rancho 9000 Ill get a set when I save up (college kid). I have a set of pro comp 9000 and rk 2.5" springs and it rides like the suspension has 2x4's

My RK 2.5 & RS9000XL's ride very nice, you'll be happy when you get them. :clap2::clap2:

OscarMike2.0

I personally dont like my fox shocks there way to stiff and harsh for on road driving and are not anything special offroad either IMO. I plan on switching to kings when funds allow.

sitruc

Also, I think off road Evolution has proprietary valving with the king shocks that they sell with their enforcer kits (someone correct me if I'm wrong please.) I would look to that as my first option and go from there.

That would be my first choice if it wasn't for the $$$. :eek: Out of my price range right now. :grayno:

jknikos

I run the fox 2.0 shocks. I really like them. They shine when you are moving fast on dirt roads and on the trails. :thumb:

twoxstreem

I have 4" plush rides coils.

I started with fox 2.0 and they are stiff unless loaded with 4 people, gear and a trailer then they ride great.

I now have EVO spec King bypass 2.5 and they are a little more mild mannered on the highway and slightly better all around unloaded. I have not used them fully loaded yet but i expect them to work nicely.

I have heard that the adj rancho 9000 are great with these coils but I wanted Kings.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is the only difference between the rancho 7k's and the 9kxl the adjustability?

No. The 7000's are monotube shock and a 9000 is still more of a traditional twin tube shock only with the ability to adjust the valving.

Top Bottom