Bolt on coilovers

seanb123

I am thinking about coil overs as well. Would this be ideal for dune bashing in Dubai. 95% of my off-roading is in the sand desert... Or should I just get a regular lift kit?

Absolutely. That's what coilovers and double bypass shocks are meant for.

Havoc40

I'm about to order the bolt-on coil over kit next month. I have been back and forth on tire sizes for the last few months. Originally I ordered 35" trail grapplers, thinking about all the issues with the stock axles/lockers. Then a buddy who works at my local Discount told me they had a customer walk away from 37" trail grapplers. He cancelled my order and gave me a deal on the 37's I couldn't pass up. Along with the lift install I'm adding EVO gussets, 10 factory axle shafts, Dynatrac Prosteers, and JE Reel 1350 f/r driveshafts...so I was going to wing it with the factory D44 for now.

The 37's have been stacked at my shop waiting, and a co-worker wants to buy them from me for what I paid to put on his diesel. Now I'm back to worrying about my stock lockers and thinking of ordering the 35's again lol!

Last edited:

Havoc40

Go with the 37's you'll wish you did if you don't.

Besides the price...that was the main reason I went ahead and snagged the 37's to begin with. For the offroad parks around here, 35's would do just fine. Like many, I personally think 37's look better on JKU's. Although, I know looks is a stupid reason to gamble on the mechanical shortcomings of expensive components.

As long as the stock D44 holds on long enough to finish the engine I'm throwing in my Vette, I'll be happy! The axles are getting swapped anyway to prepare for the LS I'm pulling out of the Vette :D

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Stick with the 37s! I started out 8 months ago with 35s and was certain that would be all I ever wanted. Well, fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I sold my 35s and wheels and picked up 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers and a set of Slabs to go with em!

Havoc40

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll stick with the 37's

I'll do a build thread when I start the transformation process. I can't wait!

big dr

So far on this thread I only see the base coil overs. Is there a reason (besides price) that no one is going with the Internal By Pass(IBP) CO?

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 147

ttfhell

So far on this thread I only see the base coil overs. Is there a reason (besides price) that no one is going with the Internal By Pass(IBP) CO?

Probably cause they aren't offered with the bolt on kit from Evo that people are talking about. Evo probably had a price point on their mind when they came up with this kit and these would be higher. They also are valved to their specs based on their testing on the jk vs off the shelf IBP as pictured.

big dr

My question was answered on another thread. The bolt on kits like EVO and Rebel have space restrictions that limit them to a 2.0 shock body. The IBP's only come in a 2.5 or bigger.

As for advantages,, The shock is just a bit more tune-able, and probably better at speed than just a standard CO. When I'm hauling ass on some fire road type terrain I sometimes get that floating feeling you get with more expensive suspensions. I can only compare it to high end sand rails or Baja style pre runners iv been in. In order to really know, I guess I'd have to put some standard CO's on my rig and run it. As it is, I have to believe it would be measurably better just due to the larger shock body pushing more fluid.

Top Bottom