Problem after built

srosario

So after installing the brakes, 4 rotors, pads and handbrake shoes and components, Drag link flip, track bar re location bracket and tie rod. We drove it to do the self alignment, and the traction light was coming on, and it felt like it was applying the brakes to the rear driver side tire.
1. what would be the problem?

2. Broke a bolt that my rear track bar had in the relocating bracket. Should I replace with a stock or aftermarket.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
its most likely your steering wheel just being off center and its applying it to your front brakes. i know this because it has heppened to me plenty of times after drives home in a strong wind with it being slightly off center. do your best to recenter it then disconnect your battery for about 20 mins.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What he said. If you steering wheel is off center your jeep thinks your in a slide. Adjust it to center and drive around a bit and the light will go off.

srosario

I thought that but the instructions said that the ESP light would come on. It didn't mention the traction light.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If you have a programmer like a procal, it has a feature to help center your wheel. Even a little off will screw things up.

trailraider

I thought that but the instructions said that the ESP light would come on. It didn't mention the traction light.

the two are connected
esp will turn on traction control through the abs . as stated earlier. the computer was thinking you where sliding from the off centre on the crank angle sensor in the clockspring.

srosario

That problem is fix, what about the rear track axle bolt that I have to replace, should I replace it with a stock one, or aftermarket one, and is the bolt the same as the front track bar. A pic of the bolt that was on, I guess it came withe the rear relocation bracket.

And the other ques is, I hear and feel I very small clunking sound, I can't really figure out how to duplicate it, I asume it was the rear driver spring hitting the track bar bolt, but that was not it, after removing the bolt I notice the spring had a indentation for hitting it. Pic include.

And final ques is, can that noise I hear be coming from my sway bar links, all 4 of them, could not be torque. Wen trying to torque the nut would push in and the bushing would squeeze out, do I need to replace them. Pic also included

Attachments

• 1422506125844.jpg
    1422506125844.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 1422506435055.jpg
    1422506435055.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 1422506734258.jpg
    1422506734258.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 1422506747495.jpg
    1422506747495.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 1422506766637.jpg
    1422506766637.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 1422506778643.jpg
    1422506778643.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

srosario

Found the noise it's coming from the steering box, we went to an empty lot where my friend could drive around while I sat in the bumper with the hood open. If the steering wheel was all the way in one direction it would not do the sound, but if he moved it a little from side to side, it would do it once, while doing a circle. Any ideas?

jedg

Found the noise it's coming from the steering box, we went to an empty lot where my friend could drive around while I sat in the bumper with the hood open. If the steering wheel was all the way in one direction it would not do the sound, but if he moved it a little from side to side, it would do it once, while doing a circle. Any ideas?

Are you sure it's the steering box? The reason I ask is that I thought my steering box was having a similar problem. It turned out that my track bar was not torqued properly and so there was just enough play in it that it would make a clunk sound as the body shifted over the axle when turning the steering like you've described.

srosario

100% not sure, but I just reinstalled my track bar yesterday and torque it to 125lbs. So I fought it's the trackbar

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
100% not sure, but I just reinstalled my track bar yesterday and torque it to 125lbs. So I fought it's the trackbar

I would go thru your whole front suspension and check torque on all your bolts. Check your caliper and Hub bolts as well just got shits and giggles.

srosario

I just did a brake job and tierod drag link install. And i doubled check all the torque for the whole undercarriage. And they all good

My sway bar links were making a clunking noise over bumps and stop and starts. The bushings were worn out. That was after 50k miles though. Jiggle the sway bar links and see how much play they have. If they are torqued correctly and have play, get new ones.

Top Bottom