Wrangler Competitor - The Hummer H4 : Yea or Nay?

Remlap

I came across this article on Yahoo I think, what threw me was the claim of 24" ground clearance..

I might be an idiot and don't know how ground clearance is measured, but according to my view of the profile picture this thing must come equipped with about 48" tires.

jk12blk

I think it is pretty slick looking. It looks like they have a trailing arm setup in the rear, but the shock angle appears to attach to where the axle is and maybe not the lower link. Definitely has a hummer look, but agree it has some FJ in it as well. It also reminds of a larger Vehicross in some ways.

Capture.jpg

David1tontj

I say nay.
Just looks like toyota redid the fj.

And where are they measuring 24" of ground clearance? The rocker panels are about halfway up the tires, and so is the belly of the rig... So.... Does that mean it has 48" tires??! Haha

K.D.C.H

NAY for sure.

Hummer is like watching a great original movie followed by several really bad sequels

King Con

Sorry, but I have always been a GM guy. I think if there were a four door model the Jeep would be down the road.

Later

KingCon

jkjurny

I like the way it looks. Has the trektop look at the back. It'll depend on the price and what the suspension looks like.

Having said that, since I'm in a JKUR, I don't know if I can give up the space.

LeighP

Kind of hard to compete with a vehicle that has the incredible aftermarket support of the JK.
They'd need to change some of the styling to sell to me.......I really don't like the H2 and onwards. The first ones were and are still cool, just too darned big (wide).

lol, hey, GM'll stuff it up, it'll probably come out looking like an Aztec.

pontiac_aztek_breaking_bad.jpg

Templar

Nay for me, but depending on how they do it it could be very popular. I can't see it having near the capability of the Wrangler, which is more important to me than looks. Even if it was as capable I would not switch over.

Grubbicon

Im gonna say no to that if they are gonna bring back hummer there needs to be another H1. If its not a H1 its not a real hummer in my opinion.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
If they do it right, I say Yay! 24 inches of ground clearance, 300hp engine, make the doors removable (or offer half doors) and they might have a shot at a slice of the pie. Also, I feel they would need to make it around the same price range as the Wrangler. If they get too expensive, they will be in Land Rover territory, a market they will never get a piece of with the H4.

big dr

Trying to compete with the Wrangler would be a huge financial mistake,,, especially if you do it in a 2 door only vehicle.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Im gonna say no to that if they are gonna bring back hummer there needs to be another H1. If its not a H1 its not a real hummer in my opinion.

Agreed, the H1 is a formidable beast, and the only Hummer I would own. Having said that, they are not very good on the road, on long trips, or very comfortable. If they could take a similar drivetrain technology that they did in the H1, make it longer travel and adapt it to a smaller platform like this, I think they could have a winner. Until then, H1 for me, please.

kyle521

I dont understand why GM would ever bring back hummer, now making a vehicle that competes with the wrangler but under one of their brands they have already, could be a possibility, especially if they had a v8 option with their ls motors. Also, if it came out, I think it would look nothing like that hummer, but maybe go back to their blazer or something along those lines

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I feel like I would actually have to see it in person before I said yes or no. Right now the only two Hummers I would own would be the H1 Alpha edition and the H3 that Offroad Evolution built, that thing looked awesome. Would either of those two replace my jeep? Nope. Would the H4 replace my jeep? Probably not. I have grown to like my four door too much.

Edit because I forgot to add: Not saying that it would happen but the H4 might be more apt to get a v8 from the factory as the H3 Alpha edition already has the 5.3 and now with the concept Colorado getting a smaller duramax, the diesel option in the H4 may be faster than the wrangler as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom