Help Me Deciede What Tires to Get for My Rubicon - Fuel or Beadlocks

Randonizer

Help Me Deciede What Wheels to Get for My Rubicon - Fuel or Beadlocks

Alright so it's about time I get new wheels and tires for my Jeep Rubicon. Right now I am just on OEM Rubicon wheels with 35" Fierce Attitudes. I know what tires I am going to get, the Nitto Mud Terrian, as I have ran this tire on previous vehicle. I am gonna run a 37 or 38 deppending on wheel choice. So here is what I need help with, should I just get "Normal" wheels or should I just go ahead and get beadlocks. I have it narrowed down to either the Fuel Throphey or The Method beadlock. As far as price, a 38 Nitto and a 18 Fuel wheel will be the same price as a 37 Nitto and a 17 Method. So would be the beadlock be worth the price compared to a fuel and Nitto that is an inch bigger? Included some prices Ive found. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
FWIW, I thought I wouldn't need or want beadlocks. Now I REALLY wish I had them. I haven't blown a bead all the way off but I have unseated the beads twice. I also wish I had 3.5" BS which is hard to find on anything other than a BL.

Randonizer

FWIW, I thought I wouldn't need or want beadlocks. Now I REALLY wish I had them. I haven't blown a bead all the way off but I have unseated the beads twice. I also wish I had 3.5" BS which is hard to find on anything other than a BL.

How much PSI do you run when off-roading? I've stuck to about 18 on my stock wheels

How much PSI do you run when off-roading? I've stuck to about 18 on my stock wheels

It depends where I am at and what I'm doing. When I'm at RC on in mostly rocks I ussually run 12.5. (I have never had an issue here though).

My closest playground is all dirt/mud trail and there are spots that are rutted. It is here where I have knocked the beads loose and at 15, 16, and 18 PSI (increasing to try and help.)

^^^This is on my 37s mounted to a 17x9 wheel.

Randonizer

It depends where I am at and what I'm doing. When I'm at RC on in mostly rocks I ussually run 12.5. (I have never had an issue here though).

My closest playground is all dirt/mud trail and there are spots that are rutted. It is here where I have knocked the beads loose and at 15, 16, and 18 PSI (increasing to try and help.)

^^^This is on my 37s mounted to a 17x9 wheel.

Sounds a lot like what I do with my jeep. I just may go with Method then. Thanks for the information

07JKSahara

Also FWIW, I run 10 or 12 on stock rims (35x12.50 tires). No real issues, but bead locks would make me feel better.

As to 38s, you probably aren't going to notice an effective .5" when aired down anyway, id do 37s over 38s all day because things are so much more available for them.

Grubbicon

If I were you go with the beadlocks its nice not having to worry about your bead however they turn into a good amount of maintenance down the road. Also I personally would stay away from the 15.5 wide tire on stock axles. That is gonna be a axle killer and with it being so wide im sure its gonna be very bad about rubbing.

Randonizer

Also FWIW, I run 10 or 12 on stock rims (35x12.50 tires). No real issues, but bead locks would make me feel better.

As to 38s, you probably aren't going to notice an effective .5" when aired down anyway, id do 37s over 38s all day because things are so much more available for them.

What do you mean things are so much more available for them?

If I were you go with the beadlocks its nice not having to worry about your bead however they turn into a good amount of maintenance down the road. Also I personally would stay away from the 15.5 wide tire on stock axles. That is gonna be a axle killer and with it being so wide im sure its gonna be very bad about rubbing.

That is what I am concerned about is the maintenance. I don't think that I will air down enough to justify going beadlocks. And good point about the 15.50. Defiantly gonna go no wider than 13.50

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Hats so high maintenance? Checking the torque on the bolts every tire change? :thinking:

Randonizer

Hats so high maintenance? Checking the torque on the bolts every tire change? :thinking:

Im just concerned with all the salt on the roads in the winter where I live and bolts getting corroded and snapping off when being torqued. But that may not be an issue as I hvae no experience with beadlocks.

Grubbicon

That is what I am concerned about is the maintenance. I don't think that I will air down enough to justify going beadlocks. And good point about the 15.50. Defiantly gonna go no wider than 13.50[/QUOTE]
The only think about saying you wont is one day your most likely going to be kicking yourself.

I mean nothing to bad but I have seen first hand when getting aired down getting dirt in between the wheel and the ring causing needed to be taken apart and cleaned. This hasn't been a problem I have had but like I have seen it. Not really maintenance but if eventually when they get really rashed up on the edges they leak air like a mofo even with the torque right.

07JKSahara

What do you mean things are so much more available for them

Most of your buddies probably run 37s, so there are spares abound. If you rip a sidewalk and need a new tire, I'd say your local shop is MUCH more likely to have a 37 in house and would need to order a 38. It's a small thing, but it'd be good piece of mind for me. We're talking .5", not worth the hassle to me. But honestly, just my opinion.

With the options you listed it seems to be more about width. I believe the Fuel's are 4.5 back spacing and the Method Bead-locks are 3.5 both wheels with the same tire you will be 2" wider with the Bead-locks. (yes I know stating the obvious)

My opinion: I would go no wider then a 13.5 tire and maybe reconsider your choice of that bead-lock. Method makes a great wheel but for any sort of rock crawling the ring is too small in my opinion and you will shave off the corners of your bolts making the maintenance part of it a pain as a socket will no longer fit over the bolt. In addition that ring does not provide much valve stem protection.

Maintenance on bead-locks is really nothing to worry about.

With the options you listed it seems to be more about width. I believe the Fuel's are 4.5 back spacing and the Method Bead-locks are 3.5 both wheels with the same tire you will be 2" wider with the Bead-locks. (yes I know stating the obvious)

My opinion: I would go no wider then a 13.5 tire and maybe reconsider your choice of that bead-lock. Method makes a great wheel but for any sort of rock crawling the ring is too small in my opinion and you will shave off the corners of your bolts making the maintenance part of it a pain as a socket will no longer fit over the bolt. In addition that ring does not provide much valve stem protection.

Maintenance on bead-locks is really nothing to worry about.

You have me interested... I have been back and forth on Slabs and the 105s. The main reason I was leaning toward the 105s is the smaller ring. These wheels are the only beadlocks I've found that do not have a dish in the inside to trap mud and water. This seems like it would be a big advantage for cleaning before hitting the road again.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but can slab owners comment on cleaning trapped water and mud?

P.S. I wish there was wheel foam available for these wheels to block the mud. You know, the ones like dirt racers use....
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5066518-allstar-performance-5-foam-mud-plug-fits-15-wheels-red.html

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You have me interested... I have been back and forth on Slabs and the 105s. The main reason I was leaning toward the 105s is the smaller ring. These wheels are the only beadlocks I've found that do not have a dish in the inside to trap mud and water. This seems like it would be a big advantage for cleaning before hitting the road again.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but can slab owners comment on cleaning trapped water and mud?

P.S. I wish there was wheel foam available for these wheels to block the mud. You know, the ones like dirt racers use....
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5066518-allstar-performance-5-foam-mud-plug-fits-15-wheels-red.html

Drive down the road and all the water will come out.

Yes they grab water and it comes out when you drive home. When I wash it I just throw a sponge/rag in the bottom of each and the water soaks right up. I don't consider either of these issues a decision factor on what is the right wheel for my rig on the trail. I don't do a lot of mud but yes they will trap mud and I would imagine that if it was plugged full you would have to use your hand and dig it out :rolleyes2:

Top Bottom