Ten Factory front Axle questions!

bhawghead

Hey guys, I just recently upgraded my 07' front stock axle shafts to Ten Factory's, and when*I went to mount my unit bearings onto the outers they slid on really easy, and by really easy I mean they pretty much fell on, they weren't tight at all, which left a lot of end play between the unit bearing splines and the stub splines. I was told by several people that it shouldn't matter as long as the hub nut was torqued to spec. And the end play went away. So......after installing and torqueing to spec. (130 ft/lbs), drove about 50 mi. And experienced Death Wobble, went back double checked everything, found nothing loose drove about 100-150 mi. And started getting a roar from front end, and then experienced Death Wobble 2x. Went back removed Ten Factories and installed stock shafts, and no more problems. Would the slop in the splines cause this?

It shouldn’t. Are you sure the unit bearing was seated all the way?

The front shafts are being driven though so a bad or poorly installed u-joint could cause some noise and vibration. (I would think it would be more or only noticeable in a turn though.)

bhawghead

Anytime I have changed unit bearings I have driven them on to the shaft prior to installing, they have always been tight. These not so much. But, yes they were seated. I've never screwed up any ujoints before, they are spicers with full circle clips, I guess I could knock them back out and double check, thanks for the input.

sjd78

I just replaced one of my shafts and the old and new shafts both slid on and off with little effort.

Armydog

Ordered a set of these for the Pumpkin, 05 TJR. I'll post in the Pumpkin thread when I start the install.

Top Bottom