Manual shifting

T&ERun

LOSER
On 37s here with 5.13s and always start in 1st gear (unless I'm on a downward slope). A lot of times I just get it rolling and quickly shift to second. Too much clutch slip to start in second for me.

jesse3638

Hooked
When I was stock (JKUR 4:10's) it always felt geared a bit low for street driving. I tried starting on second occasionally but still preferred 1st. The one thing I'd do on long flat sections of road was go from 4th to 6th. Being on 35's now it feels better on the road being stock geared. I plan on going 37's and thought I'd like 4:88's to bring it back closer to stock but seeing how it's not my DD I'm going 5:13's because I want a bit more off road. As for 2WD vs. 4WD. as previously mentioned its all dependent on what, where, when, and how you're driving. I usually stay in 2WD as long as I can before switching to 4WD. As soon as I have unnecessary wheel spin causing trail damage I switch or if road conditions warrant it. In So-Cal that's almost never..haha. I switch to 4LO when I want to be more controlled on the trail or its requiring a lot of feathering the clutch. When driving in sand or dunes I always stay in 4HI as momentum is your friend. The only time I switch to 4LO in the sand is if I'm stuck and want more control or during a recovery. The RPM's are too high to keep momentum in the dunes in 4LO. I typically use 1-3 in 4HI while playing in the sand (2WD for a little more fun sometimes, doughnuts never get old..;)). I believe 6th in 4LO is slightly higher than 1st in 4HI (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so that's something to think about also. If your in 6th in 4LO you may want to consider switching to 4HI. Hope this is all clear as mud...haha.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
When I was stock (JKUR 4:10's) it always felt geared a bit low for street driving. I tried starting on second occasionally but still preferred 1st. The one thing I'd do on long flat sections of road was go from 4th to 6th. Being on 35's now it feels better on the road being stock geared. I plan on going 37's and thought I'd like 4:88's to bring it back closer to stock but seeing how it's not my DD I'm going 5:13's because I want a bit more off road. As for 2WD vs. 4WD. as previously mentioned its all dependent on what, where, when, and how you're driving. I usually stay in 2WD as long as I can before switching to 4WD. As soon as I have unnecessary wheel spin causing trail damage I switch or if road conditions warrant it. In So-Cal that's almost never..haha. I switch to 4LO when I want to be more controlled on the trail or its requiring a lot of feathering the clutch. When driving in sand or dunes I always stay in 4HI as momentum is your friend. The only time I switch to 4LO in the sand is if I'm stuck and want more control or during a recovery. The RPM's are too high to keep momentum in the dunes in 4LO. I typically use 1-3 in 4HI while playing in the sand (2WD for a little more fun sometimes, doughnuts never get old..;)). I believe 6th in 4LO is slightly higher than 1st in 4HI (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so that's something to think about also. If your in 6th in 4LO you may want to consider switching to 4HI. Hope this is all clear as mud...haha.

My jeep is still pretty new, and I actually met someone on the rail in a TJ who was using all the gears in 4LO also, but Jeep recommends not going above 3ed in 4Lo? Sorry for the newb question, but you are hitting 6th gear in 4lo? and HAVENT been having problems? Is anywone else doing this also? Have I been feed BS on keeping the transmission in first, second or third ONLY in 4lo??

:dont_know:

sassmouth

I don't understand why anyone would be getting into 6th gear while in 4LO. The maximum speed in 4LO is 25mph. If you are able to get going that fast what would be the point of staying in 4LO and not going into 4HI or perhaps 2WD if the conditions permit??

jesse3638

Hooked
I don't understand why anyone would be getting into 6th gear while in 4LO. The maximum speed in 4LO is 25mph. If you are able to get going that fast what would be the point of staying in 4LO and not going into 4HI or perhaps 2WD if the conditions permit??

Yes that's correct. If I'm going that fast I always shift back to 4HI or 2WD. 6th in 4LO is between 1st and 2nd in HI range. While on the trail it's easier to simply shift into 5th or 6th in between obstacles rather than stop shift back into 4HI to use 1st. If it's going to be a distance them yes I will but if not I stay in 4LO. Also its not recommended to exceed 3K RPM in 4LO.

sassmouth

Yes that's correct. If I'm going that fast I always shift back to 4HI or 2WD. 6th in 4LO is between 1st and 2nd in HI range. While on the trail it's easier to simply shift into 5th or 6th in between obstacles rather than stop shift back into 4HI to use 1st. If it's going to be a distance them yes I will but if not I stay in 4LO. Also its not recommended to exceed 3K RPM in 4LO.

I haven't heard of 3000 max rpm for 4LO limit. Where did you find this info? The only limit that is stated by the owner's manual (for a 2011 JK) is a 25mph speed limit for 4LO.

jesse3638

Hooked
I haven't heard of 3000 max rpm for 4LO limit. Where did you find this info? The only limit that is stated by the owner's manual (for a 2011 JK) is a 25mph speed limit for 4LO.

I believe it is in the 12' manual. I'll look for it when I get a chance. I have to find the owners disk...:rolleyes:

Rccrwlr

Interested in the 3K limit statement also. RPM is based on the engine. If you watch any of the WOL videos i think there are a few instances where the 3k limit is exceeded:thinking:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Interested in the 3K limit statement also. RPM is based on the engine. If you watch any of the WOL videos i think there are a few instances where the 3k limit is exceeded:thinking:

lol, no shit. I exceed 3k on every wheeling trip. I can't drive 55 in 4lo??

jesse3638

Hooked

Not saying you can't exceed 3k it's just the manufacturer's recommendation not to I believe. Think how fast things in the t-case are spinning if your engine is spinning that fast. When I get a min I'll look for it. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be my grandma's uncle's third cousins sister's ex boyfriend told me that. I'll see where I can dig it up from. If anyone else has info please chime in.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Not saying you can't exceed 3k it's just the manufacturer's recommendation not to I believe. Think how fast things in the t-case are spinning if your engine is spinning that fast. When I get a min I'll look for it. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be my grandma's uncle's third cousins sister's ex boyfriend told me that. I'll see where I can dig it up from. If anyone else has info please chime in.

Eh, I've only blown a motor. The t case is fine

sassmouth

Luckily I am bored enough at work today to download some owner's manuals.

There is no such statement relating to RPM limits while in 4LO in either the 2012 or the 2015 owner's manuals. Just a 25mph speed limit.

jesse3638

Hooked
Luckily I am bored enough at work today to download some owner's manuals.

There is no such statement relating to RPM limits while in 4LO in either the 2012 or the 2015 owner's manuals. Just a 25mph speed limit.

Cool thanks for saving me the search. If that's not the case I'm not sure where I heard or read it. Must have been the previously referred source..haha. I'll still try to track down where I heard that. Don't want to pass along misinformation.

jesse3638

Hooked
My apologies as I too have not been able to re-locate that information anywhere. I know I didn't make it up I'm just not sure where I heard/read it. I've spent a couple hours off and on searching google and still no dice. Maybe it was some "rule of thumb" I had read in an off road manual or article. Although I could have sworn it was in the Jeep manual. I too checked and as previously mentioned it wasn't there. Just the bit about "Driving in excess of 25 MPH in 4LO may be dangerous...". My search is not over...:crazyeyes:..haha

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So am I understanding this correctly? The sales guy at the dealership specifically told me to not use any gear above 3rd in 4lo, but as long as I'm not traveling above 25mph, any gear is fine? (4th and 5th as well?)

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
So am I understanding this correctly? The sales guy at the dealership specifically told me to not use any gear above 3rd in 4lo, but as long as I'm not traveling above 25mph, any gear is fine? (4th and 5th as well?)

He's a salesman. He has no idea what the hell he is selling you. I've used every gear and fast. Granted you might be wearing parts out faster but it's not going to explode.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
He's a salesman. He has no idea what the hell he is selling you. I've used every gear and fast. Granted you might be wearing parts out faster but it's not going to explode.

He was mentioning it specifically to try and convince me to buy an automatic off the lot opposed to ordering my manual rubicon, his argument was something along the lines of "you DON'T want a manual, if you *forget* to take the jeep out of 4lo, there will be no electronic limiter to stop you from shifting into a gear higher then 3ed and destroying the transfercase, the automatic trasmission will be limited to 1-3 in 4lo for your safety" but I wasn't buying how someone could FORGET they are in 4lo as soon as the vehicle starts to roll... not to mention a sales guy trying to tell me what I do and do not what to spend MY money on...

Top Bottom