Will 315/70/17's work with 2" Teraflex budget boost?

aciw_welder

I just installed a Teraflex budget boost, 2" in front and 1" in rear and also adeed 1.5" wheel spacers, I was going to go with 285's but would rather run the 315's, will they clear ok on all 4 corners?

Bacon

They will until you hit a bump or flex. In other words, no. I had 315's on my old JK with a 1.25" body lift and rear tires touched the flares over every moderate bump in the road. Rubbed like hell offroad. It won't work with stock flares. If you trim your flares however it'll be much better. You'll still rub offroad but it won't be as bad. And it shouldn't rub on the pavement.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
315/70R17 have a true measurement that is about 35". An advertised 37" tire (what is stated on the sidewall) has a true measurement of about 35". Most people run no less that 3" of lift to clear an advertised 37" tire AND WITH trimmed fenders.

aciw_welder

315/70R17 have a true measurement that is about 35". An advertised 37" tire (what is stated on the sidewall) has a true measurement of about 35". Most people run no less that 3" of lift to clear an advertised 37" tire AND WITH trimmed fenders.

Thanks, just dropped it off at Discount, sticking with the 285/70/17 Hankook AtM's. When I graduate up to a bigger lift ill get the 35's. I don't want any rubbing issues right now! I'll post some pics.. I was surprised how easy the lift was to put on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, just dropped it off at Discount, sticking with the 285/70/17 Hankook AtM's. When I graduate up to a bigger lift ill get the 35's. I don't want any rubbing issues right now! I'll post some pics.. I was surprised how easy the lift was to put on.

285/70R17's have a true measurement of about 33". Advertised 35" tires have a true measurement of about 33". In other words, you are already getting 35's.

shin0bi1

I just installed a Teraflex budget boost, 2" in front and 1" in rear and also adeed 1.5" wheel spacers, I was going to go with 285's but would rather run the 315's, will they clear ok on all 4 corners?

Hey man this probably too late but I have 315/70R17 Duratracs and they measure to be 34.4". I had to rip out the front lower plastic airdam and trim my rubicon rock rails and rear pinch seams. I also bought flat fenders and seems I have good tire clearance all around. I have tires on 4.5" backspaced rims with a budget boost and been wheeling like this for years. Just to give you an idea for the future if you ever go with 315/70s.

-Shin0bi1

Sharkey

Word Ninja
LOL!! If there were no such thing as metric tires, we would never have this discussion. Whatever was stated on the sidewall would be the only thing anyone would ever need to look at.

Except when setting their programmer. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

aciw_welder

LOL...thanks guys, ill post some pics with the new 33" or 285's!! Good info, much easier before they through all the metric stuff in!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL...thanks guys, ill post some pics with the new 33" or 285's!! Good info, much easier before they through all the metric stuff in!

:cheesy: But, you don't have 33's, you have 285's that have a true measurement of 33". There is a difference. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
you guys are confusing the s**t out of me, is it the same or no?:crazyeyes:

:cheesy: Allow me to try this again.

People confuse what to call their tires in terms of size because they obsess over what they actually measure up to. For instance, the OP just bought a set of metric 285/70R17 and they have an "actual" measurement of about 33". Now, if he were to have just bought a set of 33x12.50 tires, they would in fact have an "actual" measurement of about 31". Of course, if he were to have bought a set of 35x12.50 tires, they would have an "actual" measurement of about 33". Are you still following me? If there were no metric tires, nobody would give a hoot about "actual" tire size except for when they calibrate their speedometer as that's the ONLY time when "actual" measurement is important.

When it comes to the discussion of things like lift kits, clearance, gearing or anything else involving tire size, everyone in the industry is referring to what is written on the sidewall of a standard inch sized tire - NOT what a metric tire measures up to.

Top Bottom