What was updated with Warn PowerPlant changes a couple years ago?

el_chupo_

I may have a line on a used Warn Powerplant not too far from me. It is hard to tell, but it looks like it is one of the older ones (person thought they have had it for about 4-5 years), and form my searching it appears that Warn "updated" the powerpant around 2013. Does anyone know what the updates are, or reasons not to look at an older one? I dont think it was ever really used, at least the winch part.

Any known issues with the compressor, or items I can replace to refurbish or repair problems?

Thanks

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I know the finish was changed to a matte. Other than that, i would contact warn if you had any problems. I'm not sure of any problems with the power plant. Great winch imo

Wardell

I can't say for sure, but it sounds like it was a design update to incorporate a few tech advances that were used in their newer winches like the CTI, Zeon, etc. I doubt there's a huge difference, but you might get a bit better performance from the new version, like a faster line speed and longer duty cycles.

el_chupo_

Thanks for the info!

In case anyone else is looking, I was able to use the Wayback machine to get the old Warn site to pull up some details.

warnpowerplantspecs_zps9b15bfae.jpg

So it is giving up some line speed, but the rest of the specs look pretty similar

jeff_in_rc

From what I was told by the Warn rep I spoke to they upgraded the "contactor and electronics" to make them more robust. My Jeep came with the 9500 version and I will say in all honesty that I have had it repaired twice now, both on Warns dime. The first was due to loose connections from the factory which burned up one of the power posts. The second was a broken drive belt for the compressor. It has been working great for well over 2 years now with zero issues.

If you can test it before you buy it and it all works I say go for it.

Last edited:

el_chupo_

Can you get a picture of the power post connection that they repaired?

I am schedule to go pick it up on Friday. Purported to only be used for the air compressor, never used the winch.

We shall see when we get there, but I am excited

jeff_in_rc

Can you get a picture of the power post connection that they repaired?

I am schedule to go pick it up on Friday. Purported to only be used for the air compressor, never used the winch.

We shall see when we get there, but I am excited

I would have to take the cover and the contactor off to do that but it is right on the top of the motor itself at the very front.
If you look under everything on the left side facing the front of the winch you can just barely see it.

el_chupo_

I would have to take the cover and the contactor off to do that but it is right on the top of the motor itself at the very front.
If you look under everything on the left side facing the front of the winch you can just barely see it.

Did you notice a difference, or did you just experience the issue, and send it in and they told you what was repaired?

I hate to sound obtuse, and I know how to check if something is tight, but was it a part defect or failure, or a known issue I should fix before it goes bad?

Thanks!

jeff_in_rc

Did you notice a difference, or did you just experience the issue, and send it in and they told you what was repaired?

I hate to sound obtuse, and I know how to check if something is tight, but was it a part defect or failure, or a known issue I should fix before it goes bad?

Thanks!

No problem, I understand.

When I first got the jeep about 2 1/2 years ago I noticed that the cable was not tight so I went to do so. Well it was dusk and as I was bringing the cable in I noticed sparks where I told you to look, then it just quit. I went on their website and got the instructions to test everything and proved the contactor and the motor was bad. Sent it in and got it repaired and that was that.

Take a good flashlight with you and look the winch over with a fine toothed comb, free spool some line out, about 40', and bring it back in. Then switch it to the compressor and run it with a hose connected and see if the high pressure switch shuts it off when it reaches 100PSI like it is supposed to.

If all is well and you like the price I say go for it, but it is all up to you and what you like or don't like about it. That help?

ADDED: you will have problems using the winch if you try to run an air tank as the high pressure switch will shut off the entire winch once it reaches pressure, a friend that has the same winch ran into this problem. Not really a problem but I think you get my drift here.

Last edited:

el_chupo_

No problem, I understand.

When I first got the jeep about 2 1/2 years ago I noticed that the cable was not tight so I went to do so. Well it was dusk and as I was bringing the cable in I noticed sparks where I told you to look, then it just quit. I went on their website and got the instructions to test everything and proved the contactor and the motor was bad. Sent it in and got it repaired and that was that.

Take a good flashlight with you and look the winch over with a fine toothed comb, free spool some line out, about 40', and bring it back in. Then switch it to the compressor and run it with a hose connected and see if the high pressure switch shuts it off when it reaches 100PSI like it is supposed to.

If all is well and you like the price I say go for it, but it is all up to you and what you like or don't like about it. That help?

ADDED: you will have problems using the winch if you try to run an air tank as the high pressure switch will shut off the entire winch once it reaches pressure, a friend that has the same winch ran into this problem. Not really a problem but I think you get my drift here.

That is perfect, thanks!

I will be checking it out during the day (so I shouldnt need a light), but I will check the winch first, then run the compressor.

And the price is definitely right - I will post up pictures and brag if it makes it home with me.

jeff_in_rc

That is perfect, thanks!

I will be checking it out during the day (so I shouldnt need a light), but I will check the winch first, then run the compressor.

And the price is definitely right - I will post up pictures and brag if it makes it home with me.

Great, good luck and I can't wait for pics!

el_chupo_

Got home with this:

$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg

seller said:
Compressor works great, never used the winch. I am leaving installed on truck until buyer arrives for local pickup. You can test the unit before you agree to take home. I will be happy to demonstrate the compressor with an impact tool or tire inflation.

includes the following:

1) Winch / compressor

2) Winch accessories (air hose, remote control, wiring, air chuck, dust caps for wire ends.

3) Winch carrier

4) Front receiver

The winch carrier and pull apart wiring for front of vehicle (PN 75330) is included with purchase.

So I get to Houston and the seller uses the air compressor to remove the wheel from the truck, then disconnects that, and run the winch in and out to make sure it is working.

Disconnect/remove everything, load it into the back of my car, and I drive back home.

Including my gas for the trip down and back, I am into this with the quick-disconnect wiring, winch, coil air hose, a hitch mount winch carrier, for about 10 hours of my time, and about $650.

ice-cube-it-was-a-good-day-meme-generator-i-gotta-say-today-was-a-good-day-fcfc48.jpg

jeff_in_rc

Got home with this:

View attachment 123117
View attachment 123118

So I get to Houston and the seller uses the air compressor to remove the wheel from the truck, then disconnects that, and run the winch in and out to make sure it is working.

Disconnect/remove everything, load it into the back of my car, and I drive back home.

Including my gas for the trip down and back, I am into this with the quick-disconnect wiring, winch, coil air hose, a hitch mount winch carrier, for about 10 hours of my time, and about $650.

View attachment 123119

For $650 you got a smoking deal! Enjoy it and thanks for the pics!

el_chupo_

I was pretty happy. Found it on Ebay, but it was local pick up only, which I'm sure cut way down on buyers. I had a bid in significantly higher, but ended up almost stealing it.

Helps cover the cost of a new bumper and a synthetic line as an upgrade...

Top Bottom